return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

electro house +trance sets
View this Thread in Original format
Clinkz913
has anyone ever done a set /w these two genre's together?

they are my favorite genre but I was wondering how I can work around the BPM differences and build a set? I guess I'd first start out /w the elctro house then work my way into trance.

what are some thoughts?
SteelWolf
I do all the time, but don't rely on just those 2... try throwing in some house and techno, that will help bridge that gap in BPMs. In fact thats usualyl my style start on electro end on trance 7 or 8 hours later

ie, electro into minimal into house into techno into prog into trance
alefort
quote:
Originally posted by SteelWolf
I do all the time, but don't rely on just those 2... try throwing in some house and techno, that will help bridge that gap in BPMs. In fact thats usualyl my style start on electro end on trance 7 or 8 hours later

ie, electro into minimal into house into techno into prog into trance

wtf...........7 or 8 hours later??????
sean5
christopher lawrence burning man set would be a nice one to check out
i got big pants
i tend to mix trance and electo house most of the time. all within a standard set.

what i usually do is just throw in the electro track, but make sure you have some sort of master tempo (ie, cdj). works well, but i'll usually have to pitch it up at least 8% if i stay near a 140bpm throughout my set
Clinkz913
quote:
Originally posted by i got big pants
i tend to mix trance and electo house most of the time. all within a standard set.

what i usually do is just throw in the electro track, but make sure you have some sort of master tempo (ie, cdj). works well, but i'll usually have to pitch it up at least 8% if i stay near a 140bpm throughout my set

awesome ganna try that. I'm spinnin on CDJ-800.

shouldn't be a problem then.
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by Clinkz913
has anyone ever done a set /w these two genre's together?

they are my favorite genre but I was wondering how I can work around the BPM differences and build a set? I guess I'd first start out /w the elctro house then work my way into trance.

what are some thoughts?

The best way to mash the two together is to find the tracks in each genre that work in the other... there tends to be some sort of middle ground in prog and certain kinds of techno, but some electro house just has the right "feel" to slot into a trance set and vice versa, I'm not really sure if there's any more of a definition to the kind of tracks than that.

I've done a guest mix for a podcast which is going to be released later this week (maybe today if they get their arses in gear) which is very much between the two genres and touches on both (you can easily see how it could be linked into either full-on electro or more uplifting trance) - I think it's a good example of the sort of thing that can make up this middle ground between the two genres, so I'll link yeh up when it's available.

I'm also going to do a 2 hour demo very soon with everything from tech house/electro right through to banging trance, the aim being to do it as one coherent set with a lot of tracks that you can't quite define as one genre or the other, rather than just starting electro and moving through to trance, so I'll spam you with that one as well when it's done :p :D
Stu Cox
In terms of the tempo differences, you can just throw certain electro tracks in at 140 BPM as suggested, or it can work well to push your electro up to 134/135 and start bringing some trance in there - tbh half of the trance I play nowadays is recorded in the low 130s and some tracks are even under 130 BPM (and I'm not talking deadmau5 :p)
Clinkz913
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox
The best way to mash the two together is to find the tracks in each genre that work in the other... there tends to be some sort of middle ground in prog and certain kinds of techno, but some electro house just has the right "feel" to slot into a trance set and vice versa, I'm not really sure if there's any more of a definition to the kind of tracks than that.

I've done a guest mix for a podcast which is going to be released later this week (maybe today if they get their arses in gear) which is very much between the two genres and touches on both (you can easily see how it could be linked into either full-on electro or more uplifting trance) - I think it's a good example of the sort of thing that can make up this middle ground between the two genres, so I'll link yeh up when it's available.

I'm also going to do a 2 hour demo very soon with everything from tech house/electro right through to banging trance, the aim being to do it as one coherent set with a lot of tracks that you can't quite define as one genre or the other, rather than just starting electro and moving through to trance, so I'll spam you with that one as well when it's done :p :D

good stuff. yea just give me a link I'll gladly listen and learn.
SteelWolf
quote:
Originally posted by alefort
wtf...........7 or 8 hours later??????

Yep, either at a party or a club event, I spin all night generally. It lets you relly explore the music and do some fun stuff
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement