return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Can't get Traktor to work properly with external mixer...
View this Thread in Original format
david.michael
I have been using Traktor and MIDI controllers to play in clubs/bars for a year or two now, no problem. I always mixed natively and would just plug into one of the mixer channels.

I decided to hook up to my external mixer as I want to start mixing this way. However, I can't seem to get the signal right and I'm not sure why.

Here is my setup:

Dell Latitude D610 with PCMCIA FireWire card
MOTU Traveler audio interface
Pioneer DJM-500
1/4" to RCA adapters for the MOTU outputs

Keep in mind, this setup works fine when I'm mixing "natively" (internal mixer mode).

I've tried:

- CD/Line input (way too quiet, can barely hear even when cranked)
- Phono input (I seem to have best results here, but is very BASS heavy and boomy and have to turn the gains way down)
- Line input (same results as "CD/Line")
- Adjusting the master out att. on the DJM-500

It always sounds horrible. I'm not sure why this is happening.

For the record, my CDJ's sound splendid hooked up to this very mixer, so the problem seems to lie elsewhere.

Thoughts?
AnomalyConcept
Do the CDJs work well with on the same channels that you can't get working with your sound card? I'm guessing 'yes', but I'm just making sure.

I haven't used Traktor in a while, but I'd check the output settings/routing in the Traktor settings. Maybe something isn't set up properly there. However, you mentioned that using the phono/low-line input works, so maybe it's something on your mixer.
david.michael
quote:
Originally posted by AnomalyConcept
Do the CDJs work well with on the same channels that you can't get working with your sound card? I'm guessing 'yes', but I'm just making sure.

I haven't used Traktor in a while, but I'd check the output settings/routing in the Traktor settings. Maybe something isn't set up properly there. However, you mentioned that using the phono/low-line input works, so maybe it's something on your mixer.

Yep, the CDJ's work fine on the same channels!
Gen3r4l1ty
quote:
Originally posted by david.michael
Yep, the CDJ's work fine on the same channels!

If that's the case, then he's probably right about the output routing. You do have it set to external mixer with the decks assigned to output channels on your audio interface right? That, or check the gains/eqs within traktor?
david.michael
quote:
Originally posted by Gen3r4l1ty
If that's the case, then he's probably right about the output routing. You do have it set to external mixer with the decks assigned to output channels on your audio interface right? That, or check the gains/eqs within traktor?

Yep, I set it to external mixer and assigned the decks to outputs on my MOTU.

I don't really know where else to adjust levels within Traktor. When you switch to external mixer mode, the internal mixer disappears and you can't adjust levels or gains. The only thing I see is the Master Gain level, which only distorts if I turn it up and is still quiet.
Gen3r4l1ty
Hmm... well you could try hooking up one of the outs to another device like the aux in on a bookshelf stereo or something. That way, you could see if the sound is still distorted and you could rule out any problem with the mixer itself and narrow it down to either an issue with traktor config or an issue with your audio interface.

Another thing to try... if you have a 5.1 soundcard (most internal ones are) you can try to connect 3.5mm to RCA splitter and and run it straight from the soundcard to the mixer. Then set your output to the soundcard rather than the MOTU. That would rule out Traktor being the problem.
david.michael
quote:
Originally posted by Gen3r4l1ty
Hmm... well you could try hooking up one of the outs to another device like the aux in on a bookshelf stereo or something. That way, you could see if the sound is still distorted and you could rule out any problem with the mixer itself and narrow it down to either an issue with traktor config or an issue with your audio interface.

Well, I kinda thought that the mixer should be in the clear since my CDJs are working splendidly.

quote:
Another thing to try... if you have a 5.1 soundcard (most internal ones are) you can try to connect 3.5mm to RCA splitter and and run it straight from the soundcard to the mixer. Then set your output to the soundcard rather than the MOTU. That would rule out Traktor being the problem.

Actually, I'm running off a laptop... so all I have is the headphones output. No 5.1 here. I think what I might do is try it with my desktop PC and see what happens.

Kinda disappointing though, I'm holding a show on Friday and I was hoping to use this setup. Soon I will be getting Traktor Scratch which will come with its own setup and this problem will probably become moot, but for the meantime, it really sucks.
david.michael
Update: figured it out. I just checked and I accidentally bought STEREO 1/4" to RCA adapters instead of mono. Doh! I bought every one Radio Shack had, too. Ha!

Easy enough fix, though. Whoops!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement