return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

Review Victor Calderone May 3rd
View this Thread in Original format
elie
There is not much else to say than ... insane.
From start to finish, literally first to last track, he had everyone in that room going completely nuts.
The room was packed, the energy was at it's peak all night long it seems ... So many 'retired' clubers' were out for one more taste of Victor. I have been all about this guy for 5 years, and this was one of his best sets I have ever enjoyed.
The beats, I wish I had enough knowledge to enumerate all the crazy things he made us experience.
Glad to see some of you out.
Big Boss
Another huge Victor Calderone fan here, and the EVOLVE @ Stereo parties are the best VC parties out there!

VC only does EVOLVE parties @ Stereo, Pacha NYC and during WMC and I've seen him at all those places. Stereo is the best vibe in my opinion.

Calderone was making his return to Stereo after a very long absence. As we all know, he is a bi monthly resident, but timimg, other Montreal bookings and a tragic loss in the family caused an 8 month delay in Calderone's last appearance at Stereo (The Recovery party in October) and his May 3rd party. He has played @ Tribe and Bal en Blanc since, and he was supposed to play at Stereo in January, but he suffered a death in the family and couldn't appear.

I arrived in Montreal in the afternoon from Toronto, recovering from two awesome Toronto parties with Chus at Mod Club and Mark Knight at This is London. I was supposed to meet up with some other Toronto friends, but I ended up sleeping until 5am and they didn't end up coming in...(I really wish they did). I heard the line up was around the corner, but the time I arrived around 5:45, there was no line.

The place inside was absolutely packed, just as busy as Chus and Ceballos 2 weeks before. I haven't seen Stereo like that in a while, it is good to see.

Victor was still warming up around 6am. He mentioned to me that he was still getting back in the groove of things, as he hadn't played there in a while. Around 6:30 or so, he started bringing it. Minimal and techno bombs being dropped left right and centre. The dancefloor was insane, it was difficult to actually find places to dance. The people had a good energy, and there were, apparently, a lot of newbies that were seeing Calderone after Bal en Blanc.

The Dubfire remix of Grindhouse, which is one of the big bombs after WMC drew an amazing reaction from the crowd. That track is a killer. But there was ANOTHER HUGE TRACK that got an even BIGGER reaction than Grindhouse, which I am trying to find. It's really hard to describe it, but it sounded almost tribally and I know it's a new song because I never heard it before. It had a voice saying aaaaaaaaaah in it and it was pretty crazy, very Chus and Ceballos sounding (I think they played it 2 weeks before), very Iberican. The whole dancefloor was going bonkers, I literally saw people running to the floor. If only I had a camera, that track would have been all over youtube the next day.

Techno and minimal was the flavour, until around 10am when VC brought it down a bit and started playing more housey. At exactly 10, he played Sandcastles, and started playing some vocal flavour until he shut her down at noon. There was still a good number of people on the dancefloor and everyone went down stairs where Malick was dropping bombs in the After 8.

Can't wait until he's back in July.
Passskal
I missed this show unfortunately I would have liked to hear VC again I really enjoyed his beb set..exactly the kind of deep, housy & minimal tech I eat these days and very similar to what you can hear Bender play at our FLEX night @ Circus...

I have a lot of friends who are only occasional partyers, retired ravers for the most part who had a blast there.

About this track, Radioslave - Grindhouse (dubfire terror planet rmx), I got it this week and HOLLY this is a bomb, next big afterhour song. I can just imagine at stereo around 7am. (big boss check your PM)

I will try to go to the next Evolve event most definitely.
Patius
I was scared in writing this review, because I believe there are no words to fully describe the incredible voyage hosted by Victor Calderone in his Evolve night at Stereo. Therefore I have decided to write a simple and compact review.

It has been a while since Caldeore graced the docks at Stereo, if I’m not mistaken last time was back in October last year. He has made to Montreal twice after but not to Stereo. Many people felt in love with him at the Bal en Blanc, and many had no idea he has switched his style to a more dark techy sound, from the delicious hard tribal he used to play before.

As soon as I arrived, got to talk a bit with Danny Torrence, which was not feeling well at all. Kudos for him for coming and playing his warm up set. Because of that the usual passing of the torch that occurs at 5:00am happened way before that, and Danny played a house techy set, staying away from the vocals and happy tunes.

There were a lot of newcomers to the temple, including some of my friends, nevertheless the energy was a typical Evolve night at Stereo: inclusive, vibrant and sexy.

One thing to note is how happy Calderone looked, I’m guessing he was really looking forward returning to his favourite place on earth, and even though NYC is his home and New Yorkers claim him as his own jewel, we all know Montreal has a bit to do with what Victor is today. Have you ever been at one of his famous Black & Blue recovery parties?

Techy hard tunes during the first part of the night, and this is where you saw people either falling in love with his new style (for those that hadn’t seen him since October’07) or finding it a bit too dark to follow - personally I find the his new combination of house, techno and minimal very appetizing. He did the usual song destruction and reconstruction, adding some faster tunes along the way, and almost no vocal were used during the first part of his set.

Around 10:00am, or perhaps even before, Victor decided to change gears and took us back in time and forward into madness. Vocals were heard from the speakers, happier anthems creating this calming and soft effect, just to be lifted with the old tribal signature I know so well from him. It was crazy seen the dance floor behave like it did - it was a total tribal madness, and too bad for those that wanted to see this part of Victor but didn’t have the energy to stay for it. I thought it was genius the way he did it, and more, did you see the big smile in his face while he was spinning?

Everyone that came from Parking were talking how good Joe Hickerson had been, and I’m glad he had still energy to keep partying because he danced almost until the end at Stereo. Didn’t get to dance to his tunes, and I just hope his talent is as good as his looks.

Victor did an encore by the end, and by noon everything was part of Stereo history, there were still lots of people on the dance floor, which kept Stereo Bar open for a couple of more hours - good job by Malick.
samhouse
sick reviews folks!

this is one party I HAVE to check out!
MiSSyM
SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!!

VICTOR is one dj Im hanging and yet to see!!

Did anyone maybe record his set?

;) ;) ;) ;)
Big Boss
quote:
Originally posted by MiSSyM
SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!!

VICTOR is one dj Im hanging and yet to see!!

Did anyone maybe record his set?

;) ;) ;) ;)

Not likely. VC doesn't really do the promo/recorded sets anymore.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement