return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
BUSH ( president of United States ) Knew about the 9/11 attack..sources SAY ! ! NEWS!
View this Thread in Original format
LiquidX
Heres are the news, just today, and in, will be, or allready is on the news, and everywhere.. this is what I got on AOL.

Lawmakers Demand Answers on Sept. 11 Hijack Threat

By RON FOURNIER
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (May 16) - Democrats led angry calls on Thursday for President Bush to hand over a top-secret CIA briefing and an FBI memo that warned of potential hijackings by Osama bin Laden's terrorist network weeks before the Sept. 11 attacks.

''What we have to do now is find out what the president - what the White House - knew about the events leading up to the events of 9-11, when they knew it and, most importantly, what was done about it,'' said House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt, D-Mo.

Republican Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama, vice chairman of the Intelligence Committee, said, ''There was a lot of information. I believe and others believe, if it had been acted on properly we may have had a different situation on Sept. 11.''

At some point before that day, U.S. intelligence obtained information suggesting that al-Qaida terrorists might hijack an airplane in an attack targeting U.S. citizens, intelligence officials said. The White House and the CIA said there was no suggestion a plane would be flown into a building.

As politically charged congressional hearings loomed, the White House scrambled to shield Bush from damage, and Democrats sought to exploit the first crack in the president's record-setting popularity since Sept. 11.

Bush had no public comment on the developments, but suggested in a closed-door meeting with GOP senators that politics might be at play.

''He said if there had been a strong warning to trust him that he would have reacted quite forcefully,'' said Sen. Lincoln Chafee, R-R.I., who attended the Capitol luncheon.

''He reminded us this is the political season,'' Chafee said.

Nine months after the fact, White House aides acknowledged that the CIA told Bush, at his ranch in early August, of intelligence information suggesting a possible hijacking.

The White House said the information was not specific and hardly a surprise - bin Laden was known to be targeting the United States - and the intelligence made no mention of suicide hijackings aimed at U.S. landmarks.

Bush was on vacation in Texas when CIA officials passed along the threat, which had already been forwarded to federal agencies.

''That information was then passed on to the airlines, as we customarily do'' sometime in June or July, Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta said. ''There was really no specificity to the information we received at that time. There was no way we could have, let's say, connected the dots to point to what happened on the 11th of September.''

The public was not told of the threat, Mineta said, because ''our obligation in that sense is not to the public but to the airlines.''

Then in August, the Federal Aviation Administration warned airlines and airports that supporters of bin Laden or other terrorist groups could hijack airplanes, said a government official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The warning did not include any detailed information and was similar to several FAA notices earlier in the year, said the official.

Some family members of the Sept. 11 victims reacted with anger.

''I believe our whole government let people down,'' said Bill Doyle of New York City, whose son, Joseph was killed inside the World Trade Center.

Other family members said the government probably did all it could.

''It's time to put aside the anger, the frustration,'' said Peggy Neff of Hyattsville, Md., who lost her partner of 17 years, Sheila Hein, in the Pentagon attack.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said the threats began gathering in May and continued throughout the summer. Bush received word of the threats after asking for a summary.

Though Bush and his advisers spent weeks building a public case against bin Laden after the attacks, they never mentioned that U.S. intelligence had picked up threats of hijackings over the summer.

''It's easy to criticize for what did not occur publicly,'' Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge said in a telephone interview. ''But the environment back then was a little different as well, a lot different.''

A senior CIA official said it's still not clear whether the information given to Bush was a bona fide hint of the Sept. 11 plot - or something entirely unrelated to it.

Democrats weren't buying the explanation.

''Why did it take eight months for us to receive this information?'' asked Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D.

He said Bush should turn over the CIA briefing, as well as an FBI memo drafted by an Arizona agent who warned before the attacks of suspicious activity by Arabs at U.S. flight schools. White House officials would not say whether Bush will comply.

Congressional intelligence committees were already trying to determine whether there were any intelligence lapses. Daschle said this week's development will throw the investigation to other panels. Sen. Robert Torricelli, D-N.J., called for a special national commission.

Some Republicans demanded answers, too.

''There were two separate FBI reports plus a CIA warning, none of which were coordinated. The question is, if all three had been connected, would that have led to more vigorous activity? That's the reason why we need the commission to look at it.'' said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

Gephardt and several members of intelligence panels, primarily Democrats, said they had not been advised of the threats - although the White House insisted that committee members were told.

The airline industry also said it was caught off guard.

''I'm not aware of any warnings or notifications,'' said Michael Wascom, spokesman for the Air Transport Association.

White House officials said Bush was steadfast in private that CIA Director George Tenet and FBI Director Robert Mueller had done a good job overhauling their agencies to close the gaps exposed by the attacks. Their jobs are not in jeopardy, officials said.

One Bush associate quoted the president as saying ''no one knew'' that bin Laden was plotting to make the leap from traditional hijackings to the suicide attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

What you guys think ?
JohnSmith
hum de dum... this is old news, it's only just becoming available through the mainstream media.

i predict this thread getting nasty.

take a look at this tell me what you think http://www27.brinkster.com/antiwar/opinion.asp
davinox
that is such bull.

they knew that Pearl Harbor was going to happen, it's just they didn't know when.

they knew for a while that Bin Laden and his gang were going to attack the U.S. (they tried at new years as well.) and with planes, but they didn't know when, where, or how. What were they spossed to do? Interrogate every Muslim learning to fly? Imagine the uproar.
inatrance
ugh whatever.. its just a battle between deomcrats being pissed off that bush administration is in.. quite lettin the news yank your chain
LiquidX
quote:
Originally posted by davinox
that is such bull.

they knew that Pearl Harbor was going to happen, it's just they didn't know when.

they knew for a while that Bin Laden and his gang were going to attack the U.S. (they tried at new years as well.) and with planes, but they didn't know when, where, or how. What were they spossed to do? Interrogate every Muslim learning to fly? Imagine the uproar.

When that happened , the present president ( CLINTON ) Knew that they were going to attack, so he advised and told the people, everything was in High Alert, so figure why might the terrorist not attack ?
The russians knew that they were going to attack ( 9/11 ) and told the US, but US didnt take it serious.. mmmmmm..
DJ Sunburn
yep...this thread is going to get nasty...

it's only a matter of time before they make a 911 movie.
Mallard
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sunburn
yep...this thread is going to get nasty...

it's only a matter of time before they make a 911 movie.

Please, God, no...
DJ Sunburn
well it'll be about a decade before a movie happens...

they have to wait until tension settles off
Orbax
the real interesting stuff is that the Bin Laden family gave the Bush family the money for their first oil company :eek: and after 9/11 27 relatives of the bin ladens were flown out of the country by the whitehouse without letting the FBI investigate or interrogate them. The FBI was very angry. Before 9/11 we had been in talks with them about an oil pipeline from afghanistan to USA...its all crazy
Juricimo
WTF??? how credible of a source...tabloid???

i hate like this..."yeah he knew about the attack just cos he wanted to start a war - oil war"

one word...

BULL

>JM<

AnotherWay83
quote:
Originally posted by Juricimo
WTF??? how credible of a source...tabloid???

this is most definitely not from a tabloid, and its big news everywhere.

u can go to any of the major news sites, like nytimes.com or cnn.com and u'll c they're talking about the same stuff... so i dont think its just a rumour
sodascope
I knew a tragedy like WTC was going to happen sooner or later. In fact, I saw it coming during summer 2001. In July or August, vice pres. Cheney tried to broker a deal with the then-Taliban government to put a oil pipeline through the middle of Afghanistan.

The Afghanis declined, and lookie what happened. WTC is a reminder that Americans are not in control of their own country. They are too caught up scavenging for cheap oil in the Middle East, contructing new pipelines to drain central Asian nation of their natural resources, and paying Brazillians up the wazoo for their rain forests.

It all comes down to money and greediness, which is the downfall of the American government. The USA has such tremendous resources contained in their own boundaries that it is ridiculous why they have to mine other countries. NASA has recently found an enormous pocket of Hydrogen gas underneath Alaska, which could spell bye-bye to gas-powered automobiles. But of course 90% of Congress gets paychecks from GM, Ford, and Chrysler so what is there to argue?

Why is it that the majority of successful electronics are invented in the United States but manufactured and "enhanced" in Japan? Then the same invention (CDs, VCRs, DVDs, Turntables, computer parts) are sold back to their American creators and citizens for twice that amount. No wonder the American economy has been struggling and lacks in the technology to Japan.

Anyways, I think I've said enough for one night's worth, so I'm going to sleep. God save the president.

-soda-
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement