return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > UEFA Euro 2008

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 
[Quarter Final] Croatia - Turkey (pg. 6)
View this Thread in Original format
Janissary
a nice fresh article.. good read.

That's Nobody's Comeback but the Turks'

How does Turkey keep doing it? Seriously, somebody tell me how. You pin them against the ropes, and they won't fall down. You leave them for dead, and they come right back to life. Jean Gray hasn't come back from dead as much as these Turks have.

After 119 minutes of blistering pace and wasted opportunities, Croatia had Turkey eliminated from EURO 2008 quarterfinals. Turkish goalkeeper Rüstü Recber, who was pulled out of moth balls after Volkan Demirel got a two-game red card suspension against the Czech Republic, was caught out of position, leaving Ivan Klasnic open to head in what should have been the winning goal. Turkey was done. Let's eat.

Oh, no. This was the same Turkey that toppled Switzerland in stoppage time and scored two goals in the last five minutes to overcome the Czechs. They weren't done. In the very last minute of stoppage time, Rüstü punted long into the Croatian box, and by the time the scramble was done, Semih Senturk struck the ball into the net. It would go to penalty kicks after all.

That's when Croatia fell apart. Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic missed their shots wide, and Rüstü brushed aside Mladen Petric's attempt to seal the deal. Turkey broke Croatian hearts everywhere and advanced to the semifinal against Germany.

Of course, now the question for Turkey is who's still available to play against Germany. Volkan is out for one more game because of that red card, and Tuncay Sanli, Arda Turan and Emre Asik all have to serve yellow-card suspensions after this game. That's a lot of firepower lost against one of the pre-tournament favorites. Then again, after three straight improbable come-from-behind wins, does anyone really want to count these Turks out?

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008...-but-the-turks/
bas
Wow.
Fledz
I am crushed. Absolutely crushed and heartbroken. We were the better team throughout the entire match but we just couldn't finish it. I knew it would come back to haunt us. Then that goal and a minute later the final shot of the game :( At that point I knew it was over. Our guys were crushed before they even took the penalties.

Props have to go out to the Turks. They know how to close down a game and never say die as you can see from their matches in this tournament. The luck is definitely on their side, but....the biggest luck of the tournament is for the Germans. They will now play an injury and suspension ravaged team and should go through easily. They lost to us in the group with gave them a swift kick to the butt and mentally prepared them for Portugal, even though they were still rough around the edges against Austria. They will go into the final fresh, while the other teams on the opposite side of the draw will tire each other out. Germany were said to be tournament favourites and they definitely are. You can now see why.
nchs09
quote:
Originally posted by Fledz
I am crushed. Absolutely crushed and heartbroken. We were the better team throughout the entire match but we just couldn't finish it. I knew it would come back to haunt us. Then that goal and a minute later the final shot of the game :( At that point I knew it was over. Our guys were crushed before they even took the penalties.
I thought the game was even... and in extra time the turks were better.
Intuition
quote:
Originally posted by Geoffb3
I can still here car horns in Mississauga

I was with family this afternoon, so I couldn't watch the game. But I had figured out who won on the way home by all the honking in the city coupled with the flags you find on every other car. Just watched the highlights. More drama from the Turks, and they could potentially do this all the way to the final.
CSB
WOOO HOOO germany's got this for sure now
RebeL9
quote:
Originally posted by Frenkieee
Except for the last 2 minutes, this match has been an abomination.

Imo Turkey doesn't deserve to be in the semi-finals. Got to admit, I didn't get a chance to see the match against the Czechs but from what I did see, it was utter crap.

what a load of bull. They managed to get back from a 2-0 against Czech republic and win. They deserve to be in the semi finals more than anyone. Most teams would just give up in a state like that but not Turkey.
TranceGiant
Fact: Turkey has currently lead a game for an entire 3 minutes throughout the whole tournament (90th minute against Czech onwards) and are in the semi-final.

Fact: They were the better team in extra time.

Fact: Croatia should've nailed it when hitting the post and then missing a header from 4 meters.

Opinion: Bilic should've gotten his team together before the penalties and make them completely switch what just happened off. Like "Close your eyes - now open them. Welcome to another day!". It was so obvious they were mentally devastated and not able to shoot a single penalty. Really tough job to do in 7 minutes but I felt Bilic was more crying WITH them instead of being a role model.

Hope: Turkey to kick out Germany.

Realism: Germany to take a walk with Turkey and send them home 5:1.
Fledz
quote:
Opinion: Bilic should've gotten his team together before the penalties and make them completely switch what just happened off. Like "Close your eyes - now open them. Welcome to another day!". It was so obvious they were mentally devastated and not able to shoot a single penalty. Really tough job to do in 7 minutes but I felt Bilic was more crying WITH them instead of being a role model.

No chance. Anyone that has played sport at a highly competative level knows that this is just not doable. Croatia was crushed without hope of coming back as soon as they scored. Good thoughts but not practical at all.
The_G0dfather
You can be crushed all you want, penalties must go in, no excuse. It's a single event, you against the keeper and the rest doesnt count. If anything it was probably the pressure that overtook them rather than the fact of losing a certain semi-final.

But you gotta admit that they didnt hit them that badly, Modric' penalty was well placed only justwide, the other one also i believe and the last one was a good save from Rustu.

bangoSkank
Cripes, what a finish.

Looks like Ill be supporting the Oranje the rest of the way.
basd
quote:
Originally posted by The_G0dfather
Modric' penalty was well placed only justwide

Some contradiction you've got there

Too bad for him, he really had a good match going and I would love to see him play against zee Dzjermans.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 
Privacy Statement