return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
CDJ-400's
View this Thread in Original format
1drp4fn
So Im finally able to afford a real set of tables (after being held down by a cheap Gemini intro combo) and Im lookin at the CDJ-400's and Im absolutley in love with them! as well as the the DJM400 mixer...Saw some basic reviews but I wanted to hear specifics from an owner on how they like 'em....:toocool:
nchs09
Never used them but the 200s seem like a better deal.
Ryan0751
I've used both, and the 400's are really quite nice. The HUGE improvement over the 200's is the platter... the platter is great. I have 1000's, and would have no qualms about using the 400's.

The 200's on the other hand, have kind of a cheap feeling platter with no vinyl emulation. But they do work well...

Plus you gain:

1. USB playback
2. MIDI control
3. Native Serato support
4. Integrated sound cards

So they are really pretty flexible.

The DJM-400 I don't love. It's a nice layout, and the effects seem nice at first, but I'm sure those will wear thing. The real problem with the DJM-400 is:

1. No separate booth output. This is a pain if you ever want to use the mixer anywhere other than your bedroom.
2. No balanced outputs.
3. No record output, makes it a pain to record your sets. You can split the master out, but then you can't use the volume control on the mixer or the recording will be messed up.
4. No extern effects send/return.
5. It's overpriced.

In that same class (and actually it's quite a bit cheaper), I'm a big fan of the new Ecler 2.0. It doesn't have effects... but it's an Ecler (great build and sound), and it has all of the above plus a third input for whatever you like. Check it out:

http://www.eclerdjdivision.com/prod...p=2&sub=1&id=34
bigsnail
i have a set of cdj400s and im very happy w/ them. but for the $$$ or just a little bit more you could get a better mixer. good luck!
Zild
I like that USB playback feature but wouldn't you need two hard drives to use two of them?
Ryan0751
Unfortunately YES. Two USB hard drives, or thumbdrives, or what not. A big oversight on Pioneers part.

Although I haven't seen them in person yet (though I used to own the DN-S1000's), the new Denon DN-S1200's offer a similar feature set to the CDJ-400 (and they've made the platter much much better than the older DN-S1000).

But on the Denon's, they have a cable which links the two players so they can both share a single USB device.

quote:
Originally posted by Zild
I like that USB playback feature but wouldn't you need two hard drives to use two of them?
Zild
Damn I was hoping it would share somehow.
nemesis8722
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan0751
But on the Denon's, they have a cable which links the two players so they can both share a single USB device.

The DN-S1200 DOES NOT have this feature. The cable is only used to share cue points between two players. The DN-S5500, however, does share music files between two players.
Speactra
quote:
Originally posted by Zild

Hard drives is too big to be used, the loading time becomes longer with big sized hd's. Usb-drives with around 2 gb works really good, but over that you have to wait for it to load up, and it's a pain to scroll through so many songs.. Hopefully pioneer is releasing a firmware that fixes the loading times.

But however, i'm really happy with my 400's. One problem has occured tough.. The pitch bend wheel under the platter pops off sometimes when i use the platter, making the platter to lock itself. It happend on both of my players, and i'm not using them in a rough way. If that happends when you play out it's a disaster.. I managed to stuck it back again but it takes a while. Anyone had this problem?
Ryan0751
I guess the Denon's build a catalog of all the tracks when you first plug in the drives, so that it's faster for subsequent uses.

Too bad nobody even considers them. It's all "pioneer mania".

Maybe now that Pioneer just INCREASED it's prices, people will consider other players. It boggles my mind that a CD player that came out in 2001 for $1100 is now $1500. Like, what?

Zild
quote:
Originally posted by Speactra
Hard drives is too big to be used, the loading time becomes longer with big sized hd's. Usb-drives with around 2 gb works really good, but over that you have to wait for it to load up, and it's a pain to scroll through so many songs.. Hopefully pioneer is releasing a firmware that fixes the loading times.

But however, i'm really happy with my 400's. One problem has occured tough.. The pitch bend wheel under the platter pops off sometimes when i use the platter, making the platter to lock itself. It happend on both of my players, and i'm not using them in a rough way. If that happends when you play out it's a disaster.. I managed to stuck it back again but it takes a while. Anyone had this problem?

Ahh good to know because thats useless to me then.
bigsnail
quote:
Originally posted by Speactra

wow, i havent had any problems like that.....yet. was it easy to fix the platter/wheel?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement