return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
why we yawn
View this Thread in Original format
Leon
well I was thinking... really now, why do we yawn

it has to be a combination of the senses, because I remember a time where I was watching some guy on the bus to the left of mine yawn and someone in front of me started to yawn. another time I yawned silently in room and heard someone else yawn from another room (that super saliva'ish tongue sound thing). heck sometimes even in class a few of us would bust a yawn and make our teacher yawn, funny thing is I don't think he was ever on to us

SO!

My idea is that it's a sound we can't hear... because i've seen a yawn jump from two people who weren't even looking at eachother. unless it's some super brainwave matrix thing?!
The17sss
dude are you high right now?
jupiterone
same happens to me :wtf:

someone yawns, i yawn

*yawn*
The17sss
this might sound weird, but I yawned when I read this, because I was thinking about yawns
Ek0nomik
wow, what an interesting idea. I bet this has never been discussed before, or even studied by scholarly people.

or, I could run a search and fine thousands of ing studies about why we yawn.
Ek0nomik
quote:
Originally posted by jupiterone
same happens to me :wtf:

someone yawns, i yawn

*yawn*

sometimes when you see someone yawn you kinda have to force it out.. (that's what she said)

that's what your *yawn* did to me... took me a bit.
Teezdalien
Is it just me or do others lose their hearing momentarily when they yawn?
Ek0nomik
quote:
Originally posted by Teezdalien
Is it just me or do others lose their hearing momentarily when they yawn?

sound level goes down but you shouldn't lose *all* your hearing.
Sushipunk
From what I understand, yawning is directly related to to oxygen supply. People yawn more if there is less available oxygen. But I could be wrong.

There have been some studies done about the 'contagious yawn' phenomenon though. I vaguely remember them from Psych.
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
From what I understand, yawning is directly related to to oxygen supply. People yawn more if there is less available oxygen. But I could be wrong.

more or less. i dont think its "available oxygen" so much as it is level of oxygen in the body.

Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
more or less. i dont think its "available oxygen" so much as it is level of oxygen in the body.

No, more the environmental side rather than internal, though it could obviously work both ways. It also (supposedly) has a bit to do with air pressure, and air conditioning has been said to have an influence too (I'm Googling like to try and find the studies I read 3 or 4 years ago :()
CONNERMAN2000
quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
this might sound weird, but I yawned when I read this, because I was thinking about yawns

+1
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement