return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Macbook Touch
View this Thread in Original format
Marcus007
So I dunno if you guys have heard about this but as the the rumour goes Apple is supposidly releasing a Macbook Touch. Nothing has been confirmed yet so this is just speculative but HP and a slew of other companies have already released a touch screen tablet and I started to wonder how this could effect users or serato and ableton.

I think it'd be ing awesome if Ableton/Serato would port onto these tablet/touch laptops so that live DJS can use it almost like a LEMUR midi based system.

So my question to you guys is this... if Apple does release this Macbook Touch... do you think Ableton/Serato/Torq would port well onto this system? Is there a future here?

elFreak
dj'ing will become so easy that no one will pay to see them anymore unless they live pa or do it the real way.
keithos27
given how sensitive some of the programs would need to be i doubt it... look how poorly the iphone handles touch at times.

and if the answer is yes, it's a few years away i'm sure...
jupiterone
i'm just going to wait till someone releases a computer that you can control with your brain waves
DjWoody
quote:
Originally posted by elFreak
dj'ing will become so easy that no one will pay to see them anymore unless they live pa or do it the real way.

I doubt it. Most clubbers don't care what the DJ uses to perform. They mostly care about the end result. TA's are a very special group. ; ) However, we don't make up the majority of the club scene.

:toothless :toothless
elFreak
i'm talking in the international dj sense and not locally.

do you make 5k a gig?
Stu Cox
quote:

No, DJing will become so easy that maybe some people will start actually thinking about what they're playing in case it results in an advantage over other DJs.

It's not as if the number of good DJs has actually increased with the boost in technology, it just means there are more ones (in my humble opinion). I can count on one hand the number of DJs I rate who didn't learn on vinyl... and I can probably count on one finger the number of DJs I rate who learnt on PC-based technologies. Not because I disapprove of the new technology at all, it's just the vast majority of people who learn on newer technologies don't really seem to think for themselves.

What's more likely is that no one will pay to see them anymore because the chances of them turning up and finding a monkey behind the decks who hasn't got a clue what he/she is doing (but got a gig because a- they could mix and b- they agreed to sell 50 tickets for the promoter) will increase.
Stu Cox
quote:
i'm talking in the international dj sense and not locally.

do you make 5k a gig?

I'm pretty certain just about every DJ who earns 5k or more per gig has been around since the dark ages and hence learnt on vinyl... they don't have to prove themselves, if they DJ with a laptop then it's because it works better for them or makes it easier logistically, not because they couldn't handle having to beatmatch manually.

What do you call "the real way" anyway? (should probably have established that before my ranting, but still)
elFreak
what i meant by real way, is someone who can use all the tools.

nothing against ableton.

i want to see more than just hits lined up by waveform.

if anything technology will produce better music live then ever before...but this is not dj'ing.

and no...for 5k a gig you only have to be a producer with a few known tracks. This does not mean they can dj.
jayxthekoolest
I hope you realize that this is a joke...

DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by jayxthekoolest
I hope you realize that this is a joke...

The "apple" pic is fake and the statement about making it so easy anyone can do it etc, is BS, but apple have been trying to get a tablet based system off the ground for at least a year.

It was leaked a while ago that they had been researching large scale touch screens (i.e. applying for patents, trying to discreetly post job vacancies for experts in touch screen/software development development etc,).

It will be useful for some apps but unless they figure out how to make the screen truly velocity sensitive, and come up with extremely clever ways of navigating all program parameters without confusing the using or having a huge learning curve (which I actually give them credit for the iphone) then it won't really work for us music producers.

Things like ableton and serato probably will port well because of the drag an drop nature of the thing (they are also fairly simple) but I don't see it working for the likes of Logic and Cuabse - there are just so many keyboard/mouse/menu options that need to be accessed.
jayxthekoolest
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
The "apple" pic is fake and the statement about making it so easy anyone can do it etc, is BS, but apple have been trying to get a tablet based system off the ground for at least a year.

It was leaked a while ago that they had been researching large scale touch screens (i.e. applying for patents, trying to discreetly post job vacancies for experts in touch screen/software development development etc,).

It will be useful for some apps but unless they figure out how to make the screen truly velocity sensitive, and come up with extremely clever ways of navigating all program parameters without confusing the using or having a huge learning curve (which I actually give them credit for the iphone) then it won't really work for us music producers.

Things like ableton and serato probably will port well because of the drag an drop nature of the thing (they are also fairly simple) but I don't see it working for the likes of Logic and Cuabse - there are just so many keyboard/mouse/menu options that need to be accessed.

:rolleyes:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement