return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

review: Sensation Montreal @ Millenium Complex
View this Thread in Original format
Spin Laden
quote:
Originally posted by UneeK
2 says later and no reviews....i guess no one went?

how was Mark Knight?

I have to say I'm still scratching my head over how a Montreal massive was downsized from the Bell Centre to the Pepsi Forum, and then, in a matter of days, to a Guverment-style warehouse in the Montreal east suburbs. Anyways, this was a tale of two raves: the first one being at Millennium, and the second at MP3, since Millennium closes at 3AM.

After 3AM, people were herded from Millennium over to the adjoining MP3, comparable in size but uncomfortably hot. At least the herding was efficient. And the second room was a Godsend: decent seating, nice and cool and empty too (much to BeB's chagrin, lol).

(For those who have never been to Millennium, picture a scaled-down Guverment nightclub, with one main room and two adjoining ones, with overall capacity about 2,000 I was told).

'Happy that I sold my VIPs and used it for cab fare instead. $25 each way...BeB folks should have compensated those who stayed at downtown hotels for this party with a complementary shuttle or something, imo.

And by the way, what did VIP get you at Sensation? I got there at 1130PM, no lineup, bathroom situation was decent all night and there was decent rest/seating area in the third room.

Okay, about the music, collectively, Sebastian Ingrosso and Steve Angello were very on. For those who have never seen these guys spin live and simply judge them by their commercial productions (and clubby MoS remixes), their live sets are high energy throughout.

Angello & Ingrosso banged it out with some thumping tech house, driving chuggy basslines, and with the dirty progressiveness you Montrealers love to groove to.

Although I did hear some the odd sampling of A&I's commercial stuff, it was kept to a minimum. And yes, the Grindhouse trend continues :p but all in all, Ingrosso and Angello made that floor shake, as they did at the Guv later too (from all the reviews I've read).

Jester kept it going, smoothed it out a bit toward the end of his set, and so did Mark Knight (in the beginning of his set). Knight showed his versatility by adding some mushroom funk house, then turned it up a notch with some pounding prog. At times, this made his flow a bit awkward, but not as awkward as the birthday boy himself...

David Morales.. well what can I say? It was definitely not for me, after the banging set in the other room and Mark Knight's at MP3. His set was all over the place, some hard tech house but mostly diva stuff. What made it even worse was that the mixing/flow was absolutely terrible, imo. I left around 8AM.

In any case, the first party was worth the $45, and it may have been one of the best parties I've enjoyed in '08 so far. However, the Morales' set was one of the worst.

For those of you waiting for a Montreal massive fix, since it wasn't delivered this time, try Black in Blue in Oct.. decent lineup there!
Spin Laden
quote:
Originally posted by malek
I was there, started out slow, it was empty before midnight, too bad,people missed out on ingrosso and angello.

But it filled out pretty quickly after that, loved Knights stuff and morales started pretty solid. Place was rammed and hot. Was way too tired to last beyond 6am, my feet still hurted from quebec's show.

The line up desserved a much better location, people shun on it for that... hopefully no celine dion next year to scrap sensation!

;)
JeremyZF
so how do you rate this /10 ?
Spin Laden
The Mafia House duo and the people who went to this made this thing happen, so I'd give it a 7/10.
Mr Moss
mushroom funk house you say..
Spin Laden
don't mind me.. labels, smabels.

I thought I heard two or three tracks in his set (and def a few in Morales' set) where a martini in hand would have been more appropo than a glowstick. Kind of the stuff you'd hear in a Farina set.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement