return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Handi-capable
View this Thread in Original format
The17sss
I was watching a story on HBO's Real Sports about the guy who lost his legs and was trying to get into the olympics to race with the regular able bodied sprinters while he used his leg things. Inspiring story.

BUT, it made me think, how would I handle it if I lost my legs or was paralyzed from the waist/neck down? Call me skeptical or cynical, but I find it hard to believe some of those in that situation who say their lives have changed for the better after being disabled. Do you think they use it as a defense mechanism to help them get by? I mean, maybe they get a new outlook in life that we can't understand, but if God appeared before them and said "Yo... I'll hook you up with full body movement again. You down?" I don't think anyone would say "No way, my life is vastly better now and I want it to stay like this."

We see the rare inspiring stories in TV, but what about the many more we don't see? I think if I was resigned to a wheel chair, I'd roll myself into a pool and end it. What about you all? Thoughts?
Dr. DAS
If I can't wipe my own ass, pull the plug.

That's my rule of thumb.

Also, he shouldn't be allowed to compete in the olympics with the rest of the 'normies', it isn't fair. What say he has an exception written into the rules allowing him to run, only to show up with rocket-powered, gyroscopically stabilized, hydraulically controlled super-legs that let him 'run' the 100m in 6.0s??? What then?

Stick to the special olympics with all the other kids that god hates.
david.michael
quote:
I mean, maybe they get a new outlook in life that we can't understand, but if God appeared before them and said "Yo... I'll hook you up with full body movement again. You down?" I don't think anyone would say "No way, my life is vastly better now and I want it to stay like this."

It could be argued that it was the experience that was life-changing, not having to live that way.

If I were humbled by losing mobility for a year, and then suddenly gained it back, I'm sure I would for damn sure never take it for granted again.
The17sss
quote:
Originally posted by david.michael
It could be argued that it was the experience that was life-changing, not having to live that way.

If I were humbled by losing mobility for a year, and then suddenly gained it back, I'm sure I would for damn sure never take it for granted again.

true true... hope i never have to find out!
nchs09
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. DAS
If I can't wipe my own ass, pull the plug.

That's my rule of thumb.

Also, he shouldn't be allowed to compete in the olympics with the rest of the 'normies', it isn't fair. What say he has an exception written into the rules allowing him to run, only to show up with rocket-powered, gyroscopically stabilized, hydraulically controlled super-legs that let him 'run' the 100m in 6.0s??? What then?

Stick to the special olympics with all the other kids that god hates.
Think of all the good parking spots!
The17sss
nchs09
quote:
Originally posted by The17sss
hahhaah
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement