return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

what tracks to use?
View this Thread in Original format
bluu
Hello everyone! :D I'm currently working on this demo to spread around, and I wanted to know which tracks can you recommend, or the ones you would like to hear on it. The demo is a mostly trance, and hopefully some variety of Prog. House and/or Breakbeats.

A couple of extra questions:
1. how long should it be? Some say 2hrs others no more than 80min.

2. around what time should I change from track? The way I usually mix, I try to change from tracks around 4min. or so. After the chorus, so the people don't get bored of the song; but lately I've received comments that if I keep on doing it, I'm aiming towards a pop club DJ. Which is not my aim therefore I should wait for the change for around 6min? But isn't that too much of the same song?

I hope you could answer my questions.
PEACE!
lMIlk
dj encore
ampburner
quote:
Originally posted by bluu
1. how long should it be? Some say 2hrs others no more than 80min.

I'd say 74/80 minutes (because that's the length of a cd), and that would be if you made a long one... because, since your making a demo the odds are that whoever you're sending it to won't listen to the entire set, they'll probably just want to check out your style / skills and 'quick-scan' your set, as opposed to giving it a thorough listen.

My advice regarding this would also be to make a set that's interesting from the beginning. don't use too many 'filler' tracks,
your first track should really be one that grasps the listeners attention. First impression is very important with demo's I think, so your first track will be one of the most important and difficult decisions.

I'm not saying you should pick a super cheesy anthem to start the set, but the worst thing you can do is start with a beatiful, but slow progressive track with a long intro, (unless it's a really special track) Then again, this is all about the impression you want to make. If you're gonna send it to a 'progressive' club, you could (maybe even should) with such a track.

Bottom line: think about the impression you want to make first!

quote:
Originally posted by bluu
2. around what time should I change from track? The way I usually mix, I try to change from tracks around 4min. or so. After the chorus, so the people don't get bored of the song; but lately I've received comments that if I keep on doing it, I'm aiming towards a pop club DJ. Which is not my aim therefore I should wait for the change for around 6min? But isn't that too much of the same song?

depends on the type of crowd. and your style.
DJ Bazz
1. your length should just be between 60 - 80 mins, you don't have to use all the time of your cd, just make it a really nice and explosif cd. your demo has just to impress the listeners.

2. most tunes have melody which one go through in a break, if you understand what I mean. if you can get the melody from your incoming tune just after the one you are playing first, you have done a great job I think.
Eugene
As AmpBurner said, the first several tracks in your mix are really critical. Make them your best! From personal experience I can tell you that no one has the patience to listen through an entire CD and appreciate all the nuances and structure. If it grabs the initial attention, GREAT! Otherwise, you're screwed :)

Really think very hard about how you want to start the set, and what your first 3 tracks will be.

Remember also that most promoters and club managers judge your mixing by the first transition. Make sure the first transition is good!
ampburner
And another thing, practise the particular set a few times before you record. Then after you've recorded it, burn a cd, take a pair of headphones and just listen to your mix a couple of times. Especially the transitions. Make sure they're as good as possible. If you're not statisfied, record the set again...and again if necessary.

Remember that you're not playing live; you have the opportunity to do the mix over again if you screw up. You should use that fact to your advantage! ( :wtf: <-- I just love that smilie )
oDrori
Veru much depends on the type of club you're going to hand the demo to... If it's a club that has parties that are just oppen to the crowd and then people come and party you'd better put in some hits as well as blend a few genres...
If it's a "reputation" club where people come because they know they are gonna get Trance/ House whateva then you would might not need the hits and will need to adjust the set to fit the clubs' routine...
bluu
Alright! :) Clearly answered. I'll surely take into consideration the club I'm sending it to, of course, to know the type of tracks to put, but the thing of choosing my first 3 tracks very wisely, hmm... never even occured to me. thx! :D

Just in case, I was asking what about the timing, cuz I have an md and would've then recorded so that I could have 2 hrs of time space on the disc! But its true, most probably the club owners/promotors will just hear some of the tracks chosen and why, + the mixing skills!

I'll let you all know how it all goes down! :D

Cheers!
Dj Flesch
I wouldn't send it on MD because not enough people have MD players! I'd stick to cd or tape, and most preferably, cd! I'd try to fill the cd up as much as possible too. It can't hurt even if most people don't listen to it, to the one who does, it may make the difference!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement