return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Is this considered cheating?
View this Thread in Original format
Lucas-K
I have been dj'ing for about a year and a half and i pretty much have everything down but i dont know if the way i have been practicing is considered, i guess, cheating in a way..
For beat matching instead of having one tune playing in one ear through my headphones and then having one ear open so that i can listen to my speakers, i will just use headphone mix on my mixer so that both tunes are playing in my headphones at the same time so i can beatmatch easier. But i will still have one ear open of course so i can hear how it sounds on my speakers.
And also, I currently have 2x dns 1000's, they were good starters but i am planning on upgrading. The denon cdj's have pitch bend buttons as well as the jog wheel for beatmatching. I just use the buttons for pitch bending instead of the jog wheel. I dont know if pioneer has both options or just the jog wheel, i have barely used any pioneer cdj's.
Is that also i guess considered "cheating"?
Right now i am used to beatchmatching using these two methods but i know i will have to get used to the jog wheel if i am going to upgrade to pioneer cdj's.
veezee
There is no cheating (for the most part), so do what works for you.

Jay
Jeremy H
quote:
Originally posted by Lucas-K
I have been dj'ing for about a year and a half and i pretty much have everything down but i dont know if the way i have been practicing is considered, i guess, cheating in a way..
For beat matching instead of having one tune playing in one ear through my headphones and then having one ear open so that i can listen to my speakers, i will just use headphone mix on my mixer so that both tunes are playing in my headphones at the same time so i can beatmatch easier. But i will still have one ear open of course so i can hear how it sounds on my speakers.
And also, I currently have 2x dns 1000's, they were good starters but i am planning on upgrading. The denon cdj's have pitch bend buttons as well as the jog wheel for beatmatching. I just use the buttons for pitch bending instead of the jog wheel. I dont know if pioneer has both options or just the jog wheel, i have barely used any pioneer cdj's.
Is that also i guess considered "cheating"?
Right now i am used to beatchmatching using these two methods but i know i will have to get used to the jog wheel if i am going to upgrade to pioneer cdj's.

The Pioneer CDJs don't have pitch bend buttons. But you'll probably get used to it quickly :)
The way you are beatmatching with the headphones is good since you can use it if the monitors are bad or whatever. But it doesn't hurt to be able to mix the other way if the mixer does not support stereo mix.
Basically, nothing is cheating as long as you achieve what you want with your "output", but it is always good to be flexible.
jayxthekoolest
I don't know what cheating in DJing would be. Definitely not what you're doing.
EgosXII
quote:
Originally posted by jayxthekoolest
I don't know what cheating in DJing would be.

calling an ableton set "LIVE".

but srsly, i always beatmatch in my headphones: much clearer and easier to hear... once i think it sounds alright, i'll slap off the headphones... dunno why it would be cheating tho :conf:
Domesticated
quote:
Originally posted by EgosXII
calling an ableton set "LIVE".

Depends on the set.

I you're just playing pre-made tunes back to back, then yes, but if you have a swathe of 4/8/16 bar loops loaded up for a 2 hour set, then I would certainly say you're playing "live".
Yohan
I used a denon 1200 for first (and last time) yesterday.

Holy crap that was annoying as hell.

Unless you're pulling a Pete Hook, there is no such thing as cheating :p
PutBoy
There's no cheating. If it sounds good it is good.

The problem is that if you're playing in a mixer without a mix cue-function, you're fuzzizled.
Ted Promo
I find that headphone mixing comes out wonky for me. But by no means is it cheating.
Tom Scott
Mix of headphone and monitor beatmatching and you cant go wrong

unless of couyrse you just can't do it ;)

Lucas-K
cheating, probably isnt the best word to use. I guess you could say "looked down upon" by other dj's. But ya, you guys are right. I should learn to mix the other way so when i eventually do come across a time when i will be using a mixer without a mix/cue function, i wont sound like its my first time mixing :). Anyways, its way more important on how the music sounds rather then the methods used. Thanks for you opinions guys, i just wasnt sure if my methods would be "looked down upon".
Lucas-K
quote:
Originally posted by Yohan
I used a denon 1200 for first (and last time) yesterday.

Holy crap that was annoying as hell.

Unless you're pulling a Pete Hook, there is no such thing as cheating :p

haha not a fan of denon? ;)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement