return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Oil Tanker Thievery & Pirates
View this Thread in Original format
chimera66
Seriously why are there still pirates? And why do they think they can get away with stealing $200m worth of oil? More importantly,what are they going to do with it!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7734733.stm

quote:
A giant Saudi oil tanker seized by pirates in the Indian Ocean is nearing the coast of Somalia, the US Navy says.

The Sirius Star is the biggest tanker ever to be hijacked, with a cargo of 2m barrels - a quarter of Saudi Arabia's daily output - worth more than $200m.

The vessel was captured in what the navy called an "unprecedented" attack 450 nautical miles (830km) off the Kenyan coast on Sunday.

Its international crew of 25, including two Britons, is said to be safe.

The hijacking was highly unusual both in terms of the size of the ship and the fact it was attacked so far from the African coast, says BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner.

The seizure points to the inability of a multi-national naval task force sent to the region earlier this year to stop Somali piracy, he says.

'Holding hostages'

The US Fifth Fleet said the supertanker was "nearing an anchorage point" at Eyl, a port often used by pirates based in Somalia's Puntland region.

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the pirates involved were well trained.
"Once they get to a point where they can board, it becomes very difficult to get them off, because, clearly, now they hold hostages," he told a Pentagon briefing in Washington.

Hijackings off the coast of East Africa and the Gulf of Aden - an area of more than 1m square miles - make up one-third of all global piracy incidents this year, according the International Maritime Bureau.

They are usually resolved peacefully through negotiations for ransom but, given the value of the cargo in this instance, a military response has not been ruled out, our correspondent says.

At least 12 vessels - including the Ukrainian freighter MV Faina, which was seized in September - remain captive and under negotiation with around 250 crew being held hostage.

This month alone, pirates have seized a Japanese cargo ship off Somalia, a Chinese fishing boat off Kenya and a Turkish ship transporting chemicals off Yemen.

War-torn Somalia has not had an effective government since 1991.

'Crew safe'

The South Korean-built Sirius Star was seized as it headed for the US via the southern tip of Africa, prompting a rise in crude oil prices on global markets. THE SIRIUS STAR

Length of a US aircraft carrier
Can carry 2m barrels of oil
Biggest vessel to be hijacked

Life in Somalia's pirate town
From cutlass to AK-47

The route around the Cape of Good Hope is a main thoroughfare for fully-laden supertankers from the Gulf.

With a capacity of 318,000 dead weight tonnes, the ship is 330m (1,080ft) long - about the length of a US aircraft carrier.

Owned by the Saudi company Aramco, it made its maiden voyage in March.

The ship's operator, Vela International, said all of the crew were reported to be safe and that response teams had been mobilised to ensure their safe release.

As well as the two Britons, the ship's crew members are said to be from Croatia, the Philippines, Poland and Saudi Arabia.

If I were the Saudi's I'd cut 'em.
Sunsnail
If there's anything in this world you can find a buyer for it'd be oil wouldn't it? Anyway its not worth 200m anymore, more like 100m with today's oil prices :)
nchs09
This has been happening more and more frequently for a year now.

anyhow i think chimera wants to declare jihad on all pirates..... yarr ninjars rejoice.
Adam420
Despite all the trouble these Somali pirates have been causing, part of me still thinks it's cool that sea-faring pirates still exist in this day and age.
chimera66
i just don't like other africans
MeLLyMeL
quote:
Originally posted by chimera66
i just don't like other africans
:haha: u rock
chimera66
i'm racist, i guess that's why we get along :D
gehzumteufel
Chimera: The funny thing is I have seen more articles on this recently. Most of the problems are in the areas around Malaysia.
Sunsnail
Somalia and the Horn of Africa
chimera66
i just don't like somalian pirates because they essential steal from their own people. stealing food from starving people is wrong and now they've moved on to bigger things which affects everyone. i say we trick them into thinking we'll give them a ransom then make examples of them around the world that we won't stand for piracy!

nchs09
Its not like they are robin hood... thiefs will steal from anyone.
Sunsnail
Yeah, I like Somalian pirates much less than the other pirates.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement