return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

1200 tarnish removal
View this Thread in Original format
sodascope
Hello everyone
I picked up a used Technics 1200 mk2 yesterday and I was wondering how I could remove the yellowish-orangish tarnish that it has on its chassis. The table is pretty old and was probably used extensively in a club environment, so I'm thinking that the tarnish is maybe from the cigarette smoke or something. Perhaps it is just from its age and is permanent(?) :( Anyways, so far I've tried rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, nail polish remover, and Pledge. None seem to work though, so I'm open for any suggestions on what you think I should try doing.

-soda-
DJ A.i
just replace it. they sell them in most online dj stores. i think i have seen them for around $20 U.S but price also depends on the color.
but if you want to save some money, just leave it b/c i dont think the stain/tarnish is going to effect the performance of the tables. =)
sodascope
what would I replace?
the cabinet (top part of the turntable) costs $100 alone.
are you talking about the snap on covers or something?
I know the tarnish doesn't affect the table at all, I'm just looking for ways I can make it look nicer.

-soda-
bachatu
I know what you are talking about. However, some of the tarnish may be inbedded into the paint of the chassis.
you are right, the top cover for the chassis is about 100-110, depending on the color
However, there are the aftermarket ones that come in a veriety of colors (not technic brand). Those will run from 55-75 bucks, depending where you purchase it.
I've never heard of them being 20 bucks.... no way
I believe I have seen the after market top covers at musiciansfriend.com or pssl.com ... I didnt actually see it in the website, i just subscribed to a catolog... i remember viewing it on one of the two catologs... not sure if they show it on the website.
I also have seen the top covers (aftermarket)at my local DJ store shop, which went out of business. They were selling for 60 bucks.

I originally purchased some damaged decks (black 1200s) .. the damage was on chassis, so I did extensive research in trying to find the original covers at a cheap price, but no one else besides panasonic sells the covers. actually, i think also 1200s.com does, but they are the same price 100 and above.
I personally would not go with the aftermarket, they look kind of cheap (i guess cause they dont say technics). However, i just eventually sold them and got new ones.

How long have u've been mixing? I know it is important that your decks look good, but you may regret it in the long run. I would recommend you practice, collect your vinyl, then eventually sell them and buy new ones, or close to new.
Like now, I scramp for any money to buy the newest records. The last thing is the appearance ... I actually regret not getting certain records when I had the chance, cause when they are gone, they are gone. Then, the last thing u want to do is buy an used one, to find out that its warped or in bad shape. Im telling u, if you decks work fine mechanically, u should be happy that u have 1200s and not something else.
Then again, im not sure how far u are taking this djing stuff.
DJ A.i
i saw it somewhere for around 20-30... let me look again and if i find it i'll post a link
DJ A.i
ok...... here it is...
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl...002060413531207 ok.. thats the link to it.... but i don tknow if this is waht you are looking for ...i think its just a cover.. dont know if its snap-on or not.
MERiDiAN5i2
heck id just leave it if they are for home use... you could either get a cover, or paint it!

the covers are kinda cool.. i like the blue ones myself :D

-mer
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement