return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
I just ordered a Lavry Black DA10
View this Thread in Original format
orTofønChiLd
so i ordered the new dac and i'm upgrading from my motu ultralight. I wonder if the sound improvement will be tremendous or just plain suxors
Getafix
I'm thinking of getting one too, upgrading from a RME Fireface 400. I think the only fair way to do it would be to do a blind test. Have a friend switch between the two without telling you which is which & see if you can tell a difference.

Keep us posted!
orTofønChiLd
Yeah that would work, i was thinkin of switching my mac's output to optical toslink (lavry) then back to firewire (motu ultralight) and do the test there. I'll post back and let you know how it goes. btw i did hear reviews about the apogee mini dac blowing away the ultralight and it was life changing but we'll see
orTofønChiLd
alright with the lavry it was like wow. i was kinda blown away. There's more detail and clarity and there's more depth. I def recommend the lavry DA 10. The difference between the motu and lavry wasn't huge and was kinda average to minimal improvement
kitphillips
quote:
Originally posted by orTofønChiLd
alright with the lavry it was like wow. i was kinda blown away. There's more detail and clarity and there's more depth. I def recommend the lavry DA 10. The difference between the motu and lavry wasn't huge and was kinda average to minimal improvement

huh? Are you contradicting yourself?
orTofønChiLd
quote:
Originally posted by kitphillips
huh? Are you contradicting yourself?

no not really
kitphillips
So your saying that it was a minimal improvement but you were blown away:confused:
orTofønChiLd
quote:
Originally posted by kitphillips
So your saying that it was a minimal improvement but you were blown away:confused:

yeah lol
kitphillips
OK, just clarifying then.
RichieV
buying new audio interfaces is a bad idea. There are always bugs and it usually takes a year to get a product completely patched if they even decide to keep supporting the product.

I would also say that buying a soundcard for PC is somewhat weird these days in that Vista is going to be replaced with Windows 7 and buying things on the eve of a huge OS change is always a bad idea. Audio interfaces really haven't changed that much in the last 5 years and most new soundcards still don't support the current vista OS. I think you are much better off going with a card that is a little old but established.

Just realised this is about a DA converter. I think you are wasting your time and money. AD sure, but DA ? unless you are in the mastering business, and by business i mean that you actually do music as a profession and can justify novelty items that only make a difference if you have monitors and a treated room to match, i would suggest spending your money some other way.

palm
what ur using it to? im asking caus im wondering if this is a better option for soundcard for me. my computer sends out SPDIF from the internal soundcard on the motherboard. will that be good quality? not that interested in nor FireWire or USB anymore.
blitze
quote:
Originally posted by RichieV
I would also say that buying a soundcard for PC is somewhat weird these days in that Vista is going to be replaced with Windows 7 and buying things on the eve of a huge OS change is always a bad idea. Audio interfaces really haven't changed that much in the last 5 years and most new soundcards still don't support the current vista OS. I think you are much better off going with a card that is a little old but established.

Actually, Windows 7 Is Vista under the hood. Main differences are in the User Interface more so than the underlying OS architechture. MS learning from OS-X/Vista and trying to bring us something decent UI wise whilst making UAC less in your face.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement