return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

out of these 4 firewire interfaces...which 1 would u pick for recording mixes?
View this Thread in Original format
i got big pants
i want to start recording my sets again, but the lack of usb ports on my macbook prove to be bothersome.

so next logical option is to go firewire. honestly just looking to record my sets...nothing more, no ableton, no production. im happy playing other people's music.

anyways...here are the 4 im looking at.

presonus firebox

presonus inspire

m-audio firewire solo

echo audiofire 2

any info regarding these? im kinda against the m-audio one, ive heard nothing but horror stories with m-audio interfaces. but has what im looking for.
Max Thomson
go with the audiofire its all u need
boris_the_bear
I had the Audiofire 2. DON'T go with the Audiofire. It has serious issues with some Firewire (IEE1394) controllers and somewhat buggy drivers. Also, it tends to whack your fingers with static electricity since it has a fvcking metal case
Storyteller
another satisfied audiofire user here. I use an audiofire 12 though.
Ryan0751
Since you're a Macbook user, I'm going to throw out there that you might not want to get a firewire interface.

With Apples recent deletion of Firewire on the base level Macbook and the Macbook Air, there's a chance the next Macbook you buy won't have firewire at all :(

I know you said you have no more USB ports. How about using a flash based recorder? I use a Samson Zoom H2, and it works fantastically well for recording sets. Plus it can also double as a USB mic/line input as well.
i got big pants
thankfully i got the final version of the macbook that has the firewire 400 port.

i was reading up on the audiofire 2 yesterday...technically it has 4 outputs? that sounds interesting and i might benefit from it later on. who knows.

i wouldnt mind a flash based recorder...but arent they usually a hefty price attached to them? even more than your basic firewire interface?
Ryan0751
The Samson Zoom H2 I use is only about $160 USD right now, a little less than most firewire interfaces.

BH Photo Video (add to cart, it's $157)

I don't see 4 outputs on the Audiofire 2, unless they include the headphone jack as well. If you didn't already know, all these companies consider a stereo output/input 2 channels.

quote:
Originally posted by i got big pants
thankfully i got the final version of the macbook that has the firewire 400 port.

i was reading up on the audiofire 2 yesterday...technically it has 4 outputs? that sounds interesting and i might benefit from it later on. who knows.

i wouldnt mind a flash based recorder...but arent they usually a hefty price attached to them? even more than your basic firewire interface?
Zild
I would get the Audiofire for sure. But yeah it only has two outs.
i got big pants
with the audiofire 2, i read on the abletondj forums that there is a setting in which the 2 outputs that there are can be set to 4 different outs. but honestly...i dont really need that feature.

on a different note...is it a bad idea to use a usb interface on a bus powered usb hub with 2-3 midi controllers? i was thinking about going this route since usb soundcards are a cheaper, but im worried that i would get massive audio drop outs or random spikes in recording levels
Zild
Firewire interfaces are better, and you should always plug them into the wall.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement