return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Best Mixer for Electronic/Prog. Music?
View this Thread in Original format
Emvy
Hey guys, I just got my cdj-1000's in and im looking for a good mixer now. I have been told that the Korg zero4 is a good mixer for me since i do mainly electronic music. However, iv also been told that DJM-800 is pretty much the best possible way to go. etc

What about the xone mixers?

What do you guys think? I definetely dont want to spend over a grand on a mixer... help me get the right choice :)
skip
xone:92 rotary ;)
Inrush
I wold really save up for a good mixer. You will not be happy with a mixer thats under a $1000. I like the djm 800. Its a very good mixer and it comes with an efx 500 built right in so you get really good effects without having to buy an effects box. It looks pimp with the cdjs that you own and the feel of the mixer is very good. Or you could go with the xone 92. A buch of people swear by it and like it just as much as i like the djm 800. But is does lack in the effects part but that can be fixed by getting an efx 1000 for it :gsmile:
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by Inrush
I wold really save up for a good mixer. You will not be happy with a mixer thats under a $1000.

Not true..

Plenty of brands out there.

Ecler, Xone, Pioneer, Rane, Korg, Vestax...
I'm missing loads still.

It all depends what you want to do with your mixer.
We know you play EDM, do you 'need' effects? Or would you rather have the filters from the xone series of mixers? (look up xone filter on youtube or something to get a demo of the filters)

The Ecler's have nice large pots (twisty knobs) where as the 92 has them all crowded together a little more seeing as it has 4 eq's. Low, low-mid, high-mid, and highs, some say that gives you a little more control.

Pioneer do the whole effects thing and the DJM800 is basically industry standard (as is the xone 92) but some people just don't like the sound it puts out, too digital or something along those lines.

Rane are also impressive but not sure if they're exactly what you'd be looking for, they're slightly more aimed towards to the scratch DJ, and have the whole Serato side of things stitched up with the TTM57SL mixer (the serato scratch live box is built into the mixer)..

Korg, i'm not the most familiar with but have seen nothing but good reviews about them and I believe they have great midi mapping capabilities.

Vestax are slightly more simple with most of their mixers opting not to include inbuilt effects. They are however very solid mixers and would probably sit inside your budget a little easier than the others.

What you really need to do is go into a shop and play around with a few of them.

You might not like the length of the faders on one of the mixers or the stiffness of the pots on one mixer, let alone the size of them.

I know when my Xone 92 (linear) arrived I was taken aback by the faders and how 'slippy' they were. I was expecting something else. I got over it quickly enough and love the mixer to bits but if I could i would stiffen up the faders.

All the above is slightly vague but you don't have to spend +$1000 to be happy. Make a list of what items you REALLY want on the mixer and which items you could do with getting later. Like buying a mixer and then later on when you've saved a little more getting a dedicated effects unit that will do the effects properly compared to some inbuilt effects on the mixer.

I could continue to waffle but i'll leave it there.

HTH,
Steve
TranceOwnsLol
I'm sure you could find a mackie d.4 (which is a great 4 channel mixer with analog filters) for under 1000.
Zild
For under a grand I really like Xone 62s and Rane Empaths. Over a grand Xone 92.
TranceOwnsLol
The thing I really don't like about the 62 is its studio style faders.

For under a grand, I'd definitely consider the ecler nuo 4.0, xone 42, Korg Zero 4, Rane Empath and mackie d.4.

over a grand opens you to much more options such as the DJM 800, EVO 4/5, Vestax PMC 580 etc etc.

contact agiprodj for the best prices
Zild
I actually prefer them as I think they offer more control over the levels and I wish the faders on the 92 were a bit stiffer. You can't argue that an analogue six channel mixer with four band EQs and three filters from A&H isn't a great deal for around $800. I just can't justify the price on the 92s but they are great mixers. The only mixer I would upgrade to would be a 92 rotary if I had the money to blow.
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by Zild
I actually prefer them as I think they offer more control over the levels and I wish the faders on the 92 were a bit stiffer.

Completely agree..

Though, i've heard cueing on the 62 needs some getting used to :)

Tranceownslol has mentioned some lovely mixers as well in his post. All of which i'm sure so many people here would be happy to play on.
Zild
quote:
Originally posted by n3lly
Completely agree..

Though, i've heard cueing on the 62 needs some getting used to :)

Tranceownslol has mentioned some lovely mixers as well in his post. All of which i'm sure so many people here would be happy to play on.

Only if you are used to using cue blend, but I have never found it to be a problem. And yes those are all good mixers.

Inrush
quote:
Originally posted by n3lly
Not true..

Plenty of brands out there.

Ecler, Xone, Pioneer, Rane, Korg, Vestax...
I'm missing loads still.

It all depends what you want to do with your mixer.
We know you play EDM, do you 'need' effects? Or would you rather have the filters from the xone series of mixers? (look up xone filter on youtube or something to get a demo of the filters)

The Ecler's have nice large pots (twisty knobs) where as the 92 has them all crowded together a little more seeing as it has 4 eq's. Low, low-mid, high-mid, and highs, some say that gives you a little more control.

Pioneer do the whole effects thing and the DJM800 is basically industry standard (as is the xone 92) but some people just don't like the sound it puts out, too digital or something along those lines.

Rane are also impressive but not sure if they're exactly what you'd be looking for, they're slightly more aimed towards to the scratch DJ, and have the whole Serato side of things stitched up with the TTM57SL mixer (the serato scratch live box is built into the mixer)..

Korg, i'm not the most familiar with but have seen nothing but good reviews about them and I believe they have great midi mapping capabilities.

Vestax are slightly more simple with most of their mixers opting not to include inbuilt effects. They are however very solid mixers and would probably sit inside your budget a little easier than the others.

What you really need to do is go into a shop and play around with a few of them.

You might not like the length of the faders on one of the mixers or the stiffness of the pots on one mixer, let alone the size of them.

I know when my Xone 92 (linear) arrived I was taken aback by the faders and how 'slippy' they were. I was expecting something else. I got over it quickly enough and love the mixer to bits but if I could i would stiffen up the faders.

All the above is slightly vague but you don't have to spend +$1000 to be happy. Make a list of what items you REALLY want on the mixer and which items you could do with getting later. Like buying a mixer and then later on when you've saved a little more getting a dedicated effects unit that will do the effects properly compared to some inbuilt effects on the mixer.

I could continue to waffle but i'll leave it there.

HTH,
Steve

well be that as it may. I know a bunch of people that cheeped out on their mixers and after they bought them they wished they had just saved up a bit more cash and went with a more expensive better quality mixer. Emvy has cdj 1000s so why wouldn't you go with a club standard mixer? All my friends picked the djm 800 and have been as happy with it as I have
Emvy
thanks for the replies guys, i need to stop by guitar center one of these days and mess around with a couple of them..
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement