return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
plagirism... or is it?
View this Thread in Original format
littlee1816
i'm new to the whole dj'ing scene, and i was wondering...

If you're listening to a dj on a radio show/ live show/ whatever,
say you hear two songs that mix fantastically. Is it wrong to mix the same two songs in a row at a show/ in a set?
djimmersion
redundancy is very prominent in this industry
Fledz
Not at all. Why would it be? If it sounds ing awesome, I would personally love to hear it in a club. You can't copyright "mixing".
kevferris
Quite the opposite! When you mix your aim is to get tunes that sound well together, to get a flow going. Of course you need progression etc in a set, but the idea when you're mixing is to try and mix tunes that mix well together. I mean what do you want? tunes that don't mix well together!?

I don't know why you say Plagiarism? Maybe you simply don't understand what this word means (?)... :)
coolestrl
quote:
Originally posted by kevferris
I don't know why you say Plagiarism? Maybe you simply don't understand what this word means (?)... :)

+1
Stu Cox
quote:
Quite the opposite! When you mix your aim is to get tunes that sound well together, to get a flow going. Of course you need progression etc in a set, but the idea when you're mixing is to try and mix tunes that mix well together. I mean what do you want? tunes that don't mix well together!?

I think you've missed that he's talking about copying a certain sequence of tunes that another DJ did...

e.g. if I saw Armin playing track X and mixing it into track Y, if I didn't think he was a complete pillock I might decide it sounded amazing, go and buy track X and track Y and try and mix them in the same way.

I think it's fine if it's not a particular trademark/signature mix of a particular DJ... but try not to let that guide your track selection too close to another DJ's just for the sake of a good mix ;)
Adam420
Just a lack of originality
teufel-man
quote:

Can you explain what you mean by this?

As far as I know, plagiarism is when you use someone else's idea (i.e. mixing song X and song Y) and claiming it as your own.

Obviously if you just play it during a set at a club you aren't explicitly claiming to the crowd that this was your own original mix invention. However, if you were producing a mix CD and you did this I would consider that plagiarism, unless you included some sort of citation which gave credit to the original creator of the mix (LOL).
Adam420
No, plagiarism is using another's work and claiming at as your own.
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by Adam420
No, plagiarism is using another's work and claiming at as your own.

Certainly in the academic world it extends to using someone else's idea as well... if you write a technical document and make a statement without saying what your source was, it can be construed as you claiming the idea as your own, which is usually considered as plagiarism.

Trance Android
Never copy a transition. In fact don't even play a track that another DJ has ever played. Ever.

:tongue2
Darkarbiter
quote:
Originally posted by Trance Android
Never copy a transition. In fact don't even play a track that another DJ has ever played. Ever.

:tongue2

I go even further, even if I just think theres a small chance someone somewhere who is a dj might have played that tune once in any location ever. So pretty much anything I think anyone else would like, I will not play as they might be a dj which would ruin the track. This is why I have begun spinning trance, there is absolutely no way anyone would like and therefore play this(unplagairised however) . Previously I was playing speedcore, but thats become too commercial.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement