return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

FTP servers...show and tell
View this Thread in Original format
SgtFoo
I've recently seen a few threads with FTP sites on it from all of us TAs. Lets put them all here as a place of reference! like our own TA music network...sort of... sounds cheezy but is a great idea!

Another thing is... how do you get one with a static IP?? I'm on DSL and I have no prob with putting up an FTP server.. I even have the software for it! I guess I need cable? or do I hafta buy a static IP? Let me know. thnx.
Wicked Neo

If u wanna post your ftp server details that is up to you, but if u post expect a huge amount of traffic and DO NOT share albums on your ftp servers if the details are posted here.
As all of you should know by now tranceaddict.com does not ascosiate with album downloads of any kind and will delete any links or details to sites / servers that do offer album downloads.

Personally i would not post my ftp details here as this is a public forum open for anyone on the net to veiw, the choice is yours . .

hypronix

about the DNS.. go to http://www.dyndns.com and sign up for one of their free accounts... get a dynamic dns one, put in your current IP and select all those options... and get the DirectUpdate engine to automatically update your IP everytime U log in to the net (reboot or whatever problems might occur). that should get u settlet... just give the ppl your new dns, not that kilometrical IP number... :)

if there's anything PM me k?

hypRo
Screenp2
quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Neo

If u wanna post your ftp server details that is up to you, but if u post expect a huge amount of traffic and DO NOT share albums on your ftp servers if the details are posted here.
As all of you should know by now tranceaddict.com does not ascosiate with album downloads of any kind and will delete any links or details to sites / servers that do offer album downloads.

Personally i would not post my ftp details here as this is a public forum open for anyone on the net to veiw, the choice is yours . .

Words well spoken Neo.
If you decide to run an FTP you must have a very good firewall and you will also come under fire of FTP pub hackers who will invade your system and steal 90% of your bandwith under your nose.
Once they hack your drive with com1 folders you'll never find them to delete them.
I ran an FTP for quite some time and still run a private one for people whom i share with. These are trusted friends and certain individuals.
Before you host an FTP learn about the security risks you associate yourself with.

It's like telling 1 person at the club your having an after party at your house.. next thing you know 500 ppl show up at your door.
hypronix

no decent TRUE hacker bothers trashing home FTPz just for the hell of it... i mean they might get it and dig around, but believe in the Code of the Hacker that they will not trash u apart.
however, neophites (which know about what they are doing but just wanna get caught down there on the CyberSpace) might do it by accident or to prove themselves of how stupid.. I mean cool they are.

I am not saying there is no risk in having an FTP. there's no way in hell u should do it without a firewall and heavy antivirus to back you up. don't go shouting it out on IRC, that gets u killed quickly.

but if u have lots of bandwidth (u said DSL?) donate some to good ideas (Folding and SETI or whatever appeals to you) and create a private FTP at first, share it with *some* of the TAs maybe (I'd love to give u hints on how to pick'em but i can't), eventually account trades... and if U find urself really confident about it, sure, go ahead and do it high-style :)

oh, and for whoever else is interested, it's http://www.dyndns.org not .com, i always mix the names up.. sorry, my badie :)

hypRo
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement