return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Driving
View this Thread in Original format
gehzumteufel
Today I was driving to work, in the rain, and with all the idiots on the road, I wondered about driving outside the states.

What is the cost, education, and relative ease of acquiring a drivers permit and subsequently, a full license in your country?
DJ Damerchi
its not 5 bad, just gotta watch for them roadsidebombs-that kind of stuff:p

Driving in the middleeast is more hectic than north america(i only have the greatertoronto area to compare to).

Especially in places like Egypt-i remember when i was 14 i visited alexandria, I stayed with a 12 year old kid. he had a driver and always convinced him to let him drive in exchange for some ciggs or something. the kid was absolutely crazy, but he was of an elite family friendly to the regime, so above the law in many aspects. Egypt had no concern for lanes. everyone was a sea of drifting automobiles that seemed to be choreographed. I really commend those drivers-mad skills.

In india i was on moped for a week, and it was a lot of fun, but some people were absolutely crazy. there, a beep translates to-move out the in way cause im movin in no matter what. trucks would beep and they whiz by you with a few inches to spare. looking back i definately would have worn a helmet

I lived in Dubai aged 12-17, and moved back recently, and the place is really annoying now with the large growth and lack of infrastructure. too many cars, too little roads. a metro is being constructed so that should be great.

with all the nice cars driven by spoilt retards, you always here stories of car flipping at 200 kmh on the Dubai-abu dhabi highway. If heared a few reports aying this was the most dangerous stretch of road in the world with fatalities/km of road. 150+ is the norm. in hs i was very irresponsible(illegal)driver and used to reach 240 km on this road a few times. car charades became a past time, like coning off rodes, egging cars, whipp creaming the speeding camera lenses, trying to steal the portable cams and getting chased down by CID etc etc. luck finally caught up with me and i took over sheikh mo in his g wagen by what was apparantly 4 times his speed, in technically a residential area. i went home and some people show up later asking for the teenage boy, they took me, and impounded the car for about a month.

I still cant apply to get a liscence here(candian g2 doesnt transfer anyway), bus and cabs for me:D There is a certain degree of nepotism with people knowing people and getting liscences for their kids, regardless of their capability...while some poor indian dude who invested a lot in the mandatory lessons so he can be a driver gets rejected because someone is having a bad day.
Frenchie
In Ontario the G1 license, which is pretty much your permit I suppose, costs 125$. That includes the knowledge test, G1 road test and five year license. You can get this as 16.

You have to have your G1 for 12 months or 8 months if you take a driving course before you can attempt to get your G2. You then have to pass a road test to get the G2. There are a ton of restrictions with the G2 though. No passengers past a certain time, under a certain age or some crap like that.

Oh, and I totally forget the step between G2 and G.
gehzumteufel
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Damerchi

I think you misunderstood my question. I am not so much interested in the ACT of driving, as I am what you have to do to get the license, the costs involved, the education involved, etc.

Here in the US, more specifically in California, it is quite easy. In high school most kids take a classroom drivers ed class, you pay $30, and that covers your license fee if you get the permit in the first year.
Krypton
Everyone generally drives safely here. Nothing much to talk about. I got pulled over for doing a 70mph in a 60mph highway. Sooo, that's probably why most people drive pretty close to the speed limit and not erratic. Cops everywhere with nothing to do but pull over speeders, since El Paso is one of the safest cities (crime-wise) in the nation. Bored cops...

It took me 3 tries to pass my license test in Florida. I didn't read the driver's manual, that's why.
coolestrl
I live in the states now and am a US citizen but back in India, to get a premit all i had to do was give an employee Rs.500 ($10) and a Pic of the person who wanted the permit and he'll get the permit next day :crazy: i had a driving permit when i was 13
UmmiE
In Pakistan if you can afford to get a car you dont have to worry about license even if a cop stops you for speeding or traffic related reasons....you can slip a 100 ruppes into his pocket he will have a smile on his face and let you go. :toothless
gehzumteufel
quote:
Originally posted by coolestrl
I live in the states now and am a US citizen but back in India, to get a premit all i had to do was give an employee Rs.500 ($10) and a Pic of the person who wanted the permit and he'll get the permit next day :crazy: i had a driving permit when i was 13

oh .
DJ Damerchi
quote:
Originally posted by gehzumteufel
Today I was driving to work, in the rain, and with all the idiots on the road, I wondered about driving outside the states.

my bad, i just took the the first sentence to stand as its own rather than a precursor to the second question.

nonetheless, what i said about the nepotism is true, so there is no penalty if there are infractions for certain people, and getting a liscence without any test is very possible for some.

the last i heard it was 40 hours of mandatory lessons or so and the test is done at 18 no younger(UAE)
Trancealot
In New york If I can recall..

1. Pass Permit Test(10 or 20 $)
-obtain learner's permit
2. Take driver's ed(pass with instructor's approval)
3. Take road test(Pass)
-obtain final class D(car) license
4. Pay 2000$+ a year for car insurance until you keep a clean record for a couple of years then it lowers.

I passed with (25/30) 30 or above you fail! Worst mistake was I was so nervous that I hit the gas when I did not even move the car yet. He took 5 off right there and I said "that's not good". Made a few wide turns and (PP & 3 point turn) good and that was it. Since then a couple of speeding tickets and no accidents. :)

this is inside the states :(

pmoisse
Over here in Holland, it costs around 1200 euro to get it. Around the same in Germany too from what I hear, though the testing is a lot more strict there.

In Scandinavia, they are even more hardcore about training and even teach you to drift a car at speed.

Having grown up in Canada before the graduated licensing came into effect, it was super easy and cheap to get your papers.

I don't see half the dumbass on the roads here as I used to back home, and car accidents causing injury are big news since they're relatively rare (again, compared to what I'm used to).
gehzumteufel
quote:
Originally posted by pmoisse
Over here in Holland, it costs around 1200 euro to get it. Around the same in Germany too from what I hear, though the testing is a lot more strict there.

In Scandinavia, they are even more hardcore about training and even teach you to drift a car at speed.

Having grown up in Canada before the graduated licensing came into effect, it was super easy and cheap to get your papers.

I don't see half the dumbass on the roads here as I used to back home, and car accidents causing injury are big news since they're relatively rare (again, compared to what I'm used to).

This was primarily the reason I asked. I think we should do something similar in the US. Make it actually cost more than $30 and a few small easy to accomplish tests.

California is just like NY (from what trancealot said) in the process and cost.

-take GSR (can't remember what it stands for) in High School. Get certificate if you pass.
-Pay $28 to get permit.
-6 months of driving with adult
-License test (practical)
Class C is for regular drivers. B and C are for commercial class vehicles. M is for motorcycles.
-profit

This is all within 1 year.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement