return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

Pages: [1] 2 3 
getting dj sets in montreal
View this Thread in Original format
ep1x
i've been grinding to get sets going in montreal, all of the people who i go up to with my promo cd's go about saying they expect the djs to pull out a guest list; that the dj gets paid a % for the amount of people the dj can pull out.

any of you heard of CoCo Entertainment ?

i met this girl at a party who does some business with coco she mentioned i make up something fresh.. pass her the demo which will be put on a pod cast. something about if these clubs like your sound from listening to the pod cast, they hook you up.

i spin progressive house but i don't mix any of that rhianna or robyn S into my tracks.

i have a set i play in toronto every couple weeks but its not enough.

im grinding to get sets going in montreal.

i've met people who talked saying they know people in tribe, circus, time... list goes on. just a bunch of guys talking trying to give themselves an image.

my promo cd is decent. beat matching is down. always buying new tracks on the port to keep the library up2date

im not about doing the bedroom dj. im addicted to the adrenaline pumping when im playing to crowds.
princesultan
gotta get in and network then man.
ep1x
quote:
Originally posted by princesultan
gotta get in and network then man.

yeah thats what im out there working on. but after a while it just gets to a point where you hit the decks and you can't find your drive since there is no opp. coming your way.
Dj Nacht
Your not unique man, you want attention start producing ;)
princesultan
quote:
Originally posted by ep1x
yeah thats what im out there working on. but after a while it just gets to a point where you hit the decks and you can't find your drive since there is no opp. coming your way.

well, it's definately not easy... there are a lot of djs in montreal, but you have to remember why you got into this in the 1st place.
Ravemontreal
quote:
my promo cd is decent. beat matching is down. always buying new tracks on the port to keep the library up2date

Well this is just step 1. Having a nice demo and keeping yourself up to date is the minimum a DJ can do. Montreal is not a big market, a LOT of good DJs here, a lot of them would deserve to play way more.

Plus, I can assure you that if you are not knowm for producing, you will never play outside your city. I guess I can say I am fairly known in Montreal, and I never got booked in T.O. It's sad, but nobody gives a about a DJ.

Clubs don't care. If you do not pull a crowd, they couldn't care less if you play Ryana nor whatever crap or non-crap out there.

So basically, put up your sets online in the mtl section, maybe some people will dig it, and if you have some sort of nice hype going, somebody will maybe book you. That's how I got to play in Ottawa... But again, have fun, build a strong network in your hometown, and slowly build contacts outside.
ep1x
quote:
Originally posted by princesultan
well, it's definately not easy... there are a lot of djs in montreal, but you have to remember why you got into this in the 1st place.

the rush. the music.
elFreak
send me your cd and i can get you booked at sona.
Ravemontreal
You are full of , you don't know anybody at Sona...
elFreak
liar...i take care of all the bookings at playground and groove society.

djlemeir
welcome to montreal
welcome to djing
i hope you enjoy your stay
Passskal
Most DJs I know started playing for friends in private parties or after-parties of big events ...for free...for fun...eventually, someone says ''dude we have to do this in a club''! Once you have a large enough network of people that will want to 1) promote your gigs and 2) go out to hear you play cauz they like spending time with you and like your music...then you can start thinking about clubs.

The best way to get a gig at a club, is to come in with your team, propose a concept, take some risk at the beggining. If you just drop a demo with good music, that's not worth .

Eventually, when you are well-established, other promoters or clubs will come and book you without you having to work as hard to bring people.

Another good thing to do is to get the attention of a well-known DJ. You can become his padawan and open at his gigs and such...

But yeah, if you don't have any friends or contacts...forget about DJing.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement