return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Audio Engineering School
View this Thread in Original format
ZuLi
I'm looking for a good school to study Audio Engineering and get a BA in Recording Arts.

I might consider SAE - London if I don't find another school that offers a BA (as well as a Diploma) in a cheaper city, as living in London is extremely expensive.

So, do you guys know of any good schools in North America or Europe?
djcami
if you're looking at SAE, try looking at one of their other campuses in europe. I know amsterdam also has a degree program as well as a few other cities around europe. The drawback is that they will most definitely not have as nice equipment and teaching facilities as the london one. they also have degree programs in Australia which i've heard a lot of good things about. its definitely cheaper living cost and stuff down under.
jupiterone
have you taken into mind how hard it will be to get a solid working position at a studio even after your BA? it's a risky investment, especially how studios are dropping like flies these days

you have to market yourself, work for amateur artists for wage, sometimes even for free. then you have the rest of the graduates doing the same thing

north america has some quality schools, but they're expensive as . full sail has a beautiful campus, located in orlando, quality gear and all that but it's around 50,000$ for one year

then there's berklee which is probably around 80-100k
DJ Damerchi
yeah, there's one in dubai, but unless you have family you can stay with forget about the rent-its ridiculous.

I myself am taking time off from a bachelor of arts(not in sound) in canada, and sometimes i wonder if i should pursue an s & ae route.

For me personally, i don't mind being a starving artist, im a minimalist anyways and im not looking for a career to get fancy cars-but these schools are a big investment, and they pump out a load of these degrees like macdonalds, creating mucho competicion.

I guess i just wanted to do this because i really romanticised the idea of moving to europe.

edit:to me it seems there are plenty of people who trained themselves informally much better than those who got a structured training.
BTG
don't be an idiot.

get a real job that pays.
SuspicionVandit
oakenfold got paid
BTG
quote:
Originally posted by SuspicionVandit
oakenfold got paid

he's not going to be oakenfold.
DJ Damerchi
aly & fila?
Nrg2Nfinit
quote:
Originally posted by BTG
don't be an idiot.

yeah .. a forklift operator :p
jupiterone
it's not said you'll fail, it's just hard as to compete against people that you know have the same passion for music as you

in the end, it's all about networking

ZuLi
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Damerchi
For me personally, i don't mind being a starving artist, im a minimalist anyways and im not looking for a career to get fancy cars.....I guess i just wanted to do this because i really romanticised the idea of moving to europe.

Same here. One of the main reasons I wanna do this is to move to Europe/North America...Heck I'll even apply part time to extend my stay (if they allow it for international students that is). That way I'd have more time for operating forklifts to pay the rent, and also not lose focus on my music. Besides, ultimately I wanna be a record producer so a BA in Recording Arts seems like a step in the right direction.

quote:
Originally posted by jupiterone
in the end, it's all about networking

True, and music school in Europe seems like a much better place for that than the National Bank of Egypt :stongue:

quote:
Originally posted by BTG
don't be an idiot.

I dunno man...to me an idiot would be someone who wouldn't pursue their dreams, spending their life working a job they hate out of fear of going broke. My view on life is that you only get 1, so it would be stupid not to do your best to live it the way you want to.
David Mac
If you want a relatively cheap, flexible and short course specifically on producing trance music check this new offering from point blank. I'm seriously considering it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement