return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
GAIN (gator) - how to remove?
View this Thread in Original format
Piet
i got a program (i think it was audiogalaxy) and it forced me to install gain (gator) a spyware type of thingie, i haven't had time to figure out how to remove it yet, anyone can help me out?

tanx
TrancerbianMan
this is how i did it

first, in task manager, end task on one of the files that has 'ad' in it. i think there was 2 that i ended. they seemed very unfamiliar. if you've got winxp it will be easier since it shows whats using it.

anyways, once you remove that you can delete the directory found in program files\common files\. the directory seems to change names. i deleted one called GTA (i think) and i got rid of it. but now that i checked again theres another called CMEII. delete that one too, but first you have to end task the program running cause it wont let you delete (says its in use)

ugh.. hope that helps a little :nervous:

p.s. CMESys.exe is one of the files
Fraggle
easy way is to get the ad-aware thingy

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

it scans ur puter & gets the other spyware crap too

oh yeah, but careful...it picks up some licence management things too (ie. cdilla for 3dsmax :()...so don't remove those LOL

yujie__
dont install the program, thats what i do.
Dmatrox
i uninstalled AG and ran adaware. Screw the ing AG :whip: They've gotten worse, same with Morpheus and the stupid Preview ed.
Orbax
I made this just for you :)

apri_peel
ad removers dont work, already tried

if trancerbian's method doesnt work, restart your computer in a safe mode and delete those bastards
Orbax
sigh I guess ill contribute. If nothing else do a search for *gator*.* and delete it all. Then start>run>Regedit. Do a find for all things with gator and delete the keys as they pop up. then restart
apri_peel
quote:
Originally posted by Orbax
sigh I guess ill contribute. If nothing else do a search for *gator*.* and delete it all. Then start>run>Regedit. Do a find for all things with gator and delete the keys as they pop up. then restart

you cant just delete those files b/c they are used by your computer as soon as you turn it on, thats why you've got to start your computer in the safe mode b/c then most of your drivers are not loaded up
tu_face
quote:
Originally posted by apri_peel
ad removers dont work, already tried

ad-aware does work.. it worked for me :) and it kills other spyware type stuff too

webmeister
www.lavasoft.de

don't nobody be dissing ad-aware .. it has never failed me :D
Gooseman
I just downloaded the latest AG satellite, and in order to install, they force you to install their GATOR software. Im not exactly sure what Gator does but it has something to do with advertisements. I don't mind that they do that (heck, they have to suport themselves somehow) but the Gator software is a resource HOG!! It was using up 35% of my CPU and a lot of my RAM as well. All my programs were chugging and my games were slow as hell. I managed to delete the thing and now my system runs like butter.. If any of you are finding that your system is running slower after having installed AG, you may want to remove the Gator software (by deleting the .exe file directly)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement