return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Monitor Hum
View this Thread in Original format
coroknight
First of all I know that there are a ton of topics about this on the internet however it seems like each topic offers a different solution.

So I recently bought a pair of KRK Rokit 5 Gen 2's and a KRK 10s Subwoofer. I am also using a Numark DJIO as an external soundcard for my laptop. My djio is connected via rca to my subwoofer and then i have two unbalanced rca's running from my subwoofer to each speaker.

When i have my laptop plugged in i get this audible hum coming from the speakers. If i move my mouse or the computer is processing something the humming gets more intense. When i unplug my laptop the hum completely disapears.

I'm pretty sure I have a ground loop but im not sure. I was wondering if anyone had advice on the cheapest and safest way to fix this problem?

My sub also has xlr outputs but can i use those when my inputs are rca?

Thanks guys
teufel-man
quote:
Originally posted by coroknight
First of all I know that there are a ton of topics about this on the internet however it seems like each topic offers a different solution.

So I recently bought a pair of KRK Rokit 5 Gen 2's and a KRK 10s Subwoofer. I am also using a Numark DJIO as an external soundcard for my laptop. My djio is connected via rca to my subwoofer and then i have two unbalanced rca's running from my subwoofer to each speaker.

When i have my laptop plugged in i get this audible hum coming from the speakers. If i move my mouse or the computer is processing something the humming gets more intense. When i unplug my laptop the hum completely disapears.

I'm pretty sure I have a ground loop but im not sure. I was wondering if anyone had advice on the cheapest and safest way to fix this problem?

My sub also has xlr outputs but can i use those when my inputs are rca?

Thanks guys

My buddy recently had this problem and... the problem was that the electric power signal (or whatever the hell you call it)... anyways, the cord that plugged from his laptor into the wall was not 'grounded', so he just had to buy this little stupid thing to put on the end of the power cable that plugs into the wall to ground it

something sorta like this: http://www.orphanespresso.com/image...g%20Adapter.jpg
coroknight
quote:
Originally posted by teufel-man
My buddy recently had this problem and... the problem was that the electric power signal (or whatever the hell you call it)... anyways, the cord that plugged from his laptor into the wall was not 'grounded', so he just had to buy this little stupid thing to put on the end of the power cable that plugs into the wall to ground it

something sorta like this: http://www.orphanespresso.com/image...g%20Adapter.jpg

Thanks but my laptop cable has a ground. I think i'd need to remove the ground in order to fix it. but removing the ground is never a good idea.
miamitranceman
Get a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack for 17 bucks. it does the trick for me. It doesnt matter if you go XLR because if you're still going through rca's at some point the chain ends up unbalanced.
coroknight
quote:
Originally posted by miamitranceman
Get a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack for 17 bucks. it does the trick for me. It doesnt matter if you go XLR because if you're still going through rca's at some point the chain ends up unbalanced.

Thanks! That seems to be exactly what I need. Will give it a try.
PivotTechno
Or just spend $2, and get one of these:

tintin11
What would that do... I mean, what is it.
Tony Morello
yes, as stated it's a problem with your laptop's power cord, it's a common problem actually, one thing to do is simply let your laptop run off it's battery while you're recording, that's what we did in college while taking radio production

a ground loop isolator could work as well
JD8180
quote:
Originally posted by PivotTechno
Or just spend $2, and get one of these:

isn't that just a converter for different countries' outlets? would that really fix it?
tintin11
quote:
Originally posted by JD8180
isn't that just a converter for different countries' outlets? would that really fix it?

Exactly what I thought lol

coroknight
I don't think he understood the question.
miamitranceman
quote:
Originally posted by coroknight
I don't think he understood the question.

No I thnk he's just trying to show you a way to remove the ground by going from 3 prong to two, but I don't think that'll actually do it! I'd stick with a gli.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement