return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pioneer DJM-400 vs. Gemini PS828x
View this Thread in Original format
kliq
Alright, im a bit of a noob when it comes to DJ equipment, so I need some advice...

I've heard fantastic things about the pioneer DJM-400, but im a little wary of two things: 1. the cost 2. only two channels

the Gemini PS828x is cheaper and has 4 channels, but Im wary of the sound quality...

I primarily need the mixer to mix a podcast and to practice in order to play the traditional CDJ 1000 MK3s and DJM-800 set up at a club

could you guys shed some other light on these two mixers? good stuff/bad stuff, and maybe some suggestions on other mixers that are in the sub 200 dollar range... how the effects are, sound quality, outputs etc...

thanks a lot... appreciate it
lxlnaftlxl
DEF go with the 400 ..

If your short on cash dont jump shipp right away and spend money you DONT have lol

look up craigslist .. they always got used going CHEAP

btw .. do you live in LA?
kliq
^ used to live in NY, never the west coast... now im not in the states anymore... have you ever used a gemini before, any comments on the quality of the output?
lxlnaftlxl
oo .. a high school buddy of mine calls himself KliQ too thats why i asked lol ... honestly ive never used a gemini mixer .. but countless people tell me its not worth spending $ on .. if your going to buy something buy the best .. i personally had a flimsy denon x100 (which is a GREAT 2 ch mixer IMHO) simple , yet does the job greatly

I used my buddy's djm 400 and djm 600 , and to me .. i dont know if its a placebo pill kinda thing , but i feel as my transitions are smoother loll
stan229
to me, a mixer is the most important part of the dj kit.. (for example's sake i'd rather have a djm800 and 2 cdj200s over 2 cdj800mk2 and a djm400) i'd get as best as you could
DJ RANN
Well, I'me going to give you a different opinion: I avoid pioneer mixers and the DJM 400 is the worst of the bunch. It does two channels badly, doesn't last long, build quality is mediocre and all this for just $400? Is it just me or is it the lowest quality 2channel mixer at the price.

The 800 isn't a "bad" mixer, but it's over priced, sounds like utter crap when redlined (as most DJ's do :rolleyes: ) and I was already bored of the fx 6 months after the 500 came out in 1999.

My first (proper) mixer was the gemini 626 and I swear to god, until I got my current mixer which took 3 years to find,I yearned for it everytime.

Yes, the sound quality was not amazing, but don't be fooled in to thinking the DJM 400 is any better - it's not and I've put a lot of time on both.

The gemini's are just fun to use, have sensible layout, take a beating and have 4 channels does come in useful of ever you want to expand. They also have a good headphone cuing system.

MAJOR POINT: The gemini also has multiple master outputs and the DJM 400 does not. this really s you up when you want to send the mix to a recording device such as you PC and your speakers at the same time. Only the master output has a volume control - the "rec" output does not which means you can only use the channel gains to control the volume. Trust me, with powered monitors you're buggered if you need to attenuate the signal going to the PC.

YOU EVEN GET BALANCED OUTPUTS ON THE GEMINI!!! as well as a master RCA and record out. It has so much more functionality for less money, and anyone that tells you the DJM 400 quality wise is better, is lying to you.

Personally, I also agree that the most important part is the mixer which is why I say avoid the 400 - I think you'll have most fun on the gemini and that's what it's all about when you're at this price point.
aLviNx80
check out the NUO 2 .. It's a quality mixer with great sound quality.

way~ better than the ones mentioned above..
i got big pants
i'll sell you my djm700 for the cost of a xone62....

lol
miamitranceman
quote:
Originally posted by kliq
Alright, im a bit of a noob when it comes to DJ equipment, so I need some advice...

I've heard fantastic things about the pioneer DJM-400, but im a little wary of two things: 1. the cost 2. only two channels

the Gemini PS828x is cheaper and has 4 channels, but Im wary of the sound quality...

I primarily need the mixer to mix a podcast and to practice in order to play the traditional CDJ 1000 MK3s and DJM-800 set up at a club

could you guys shed some other light on these two mixers? good stuff/bad stuff, and maybe some suggestions on other mixers that are in the sub 200 dollar range... how the effects are, sound quality, outputs etc...

thanks a lot... appreciate it

For the purposes you described, I'd go with the 400. I don't know where RANN got that it's shoddy quality. Everyone I know who has one has no issues with that. The main issue is the lack of balanced outs and booth out. I'd still take it over a Gemini though.
aLviNx80
I'm with RANN ... the 400's are not the best choice. :happy2:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement