return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Automotive help thread
View this Thread in Original format
BTG
I wish i was as good at fixing cars as i am computers,

sadly, I am not.

so it is my hope that this thread could help those of us who can't seem to do anything besides fill up the gas tank and fill the washer fluid.

so if you have any questions, or answers please feel free.

or..

you could let this thread die and we'll have to use google. :(
Kaidreas
how do you get in?
Paradox Lost
I think the most valuable contribution to a thread like this is to thoroughly investigate any automotive advice given over the internet before applying it (beyond the most basic advice/recommendations for everyday situations).

If you post on enough car forums, you'll see that ten people can diagnose (to the extent that you can over a forum) the same problem ten different ways, with ten wrong answers. This often is never really anyone's fault, as it's sometimes difficult to explain the nuances of these problems online.

If any doubt lingers in your mind, take the damn thing to a certified mechanic. Much better to let a professional do it than spend thousands to fix the additional problems you created by trying to do it yourself.
Omega_Blue
umm.. the most important things to check up on your car is a regular oil change? that's the only tidbit of advice i have.
Azz3D
Also make it a habit to regularly check tire pressure and rotate the tires every 2nd oil change or so. If you do this, your tires will last forever, hypothetically speaking :p
Paradox Lost
quote:
Originally posted by Azz3D
Also make it a habit to regularly check tire pressure and rotate the tires every 2nd oil change or so. If you do this, your tires will last forever, hypothetically speaking :p

Not always; certain vehicles call for different rotation schedules ( with 4WD vehicles, for example, generally need to be rotated sooner than others).

If yours does, it will usually be outlined in your owner's manual.
gehzumteufel
A ton of sportier cars can't have their tires rotated.
samochod
you no shake hand with azn, small dick pee on own hand.
gehzumteufel
quote:
Originally posted by ********
I got two questions.

I have a car alarm to install on my 02 grand am anyone know somewhere that can explain how this is done. From what I know I need to hook the stuff to the fusebox or battery etc.. or something. I know wiring so if I need to splice some wires not overly difficult factor I just need to know the right spot.

Also I have some body sealant. From what I know I need to clean the surface then apply the stuff, anyone use sealants rather than waxes?

I got a third.. what is the safest and easiest way to remove a car battery. I'd like to use my car battery as a power source on my boat. I have a solar power charger that can hook up to it? Any words on this?

1. Do not do it yourself if you don't know. Improperly installing an alarm can ruin your cars electrical system. Take it to a professional.

2. Body sealants are for when you are doing body work, not on top of paint/clear coat.

3. Don't. Get a marine battery. Go to your local Interstate Batteries distributorship, ask for a used one. They are very cheap, but the only used part is the plastic case.
woscar
quote:
Originally posted by gehzumteufel
1. Strike one.

2. Strike two.

3. Strike three.

Fixed. :o

Moral Hazard
quote:
Originally posted by gehzumteufel
1. Do not do it yourself if you don't know. Improperly installing an alarm can ruin your cars electrical system. Take it to a professional.

2. Body sealants are for when you are doing body work, not on top of paint/clear coat.

3. Don't. Get a marine battery. Go to your local Interstate Batteries distributorship, ask for a used one. They are very cheap, but the only used part is the plastic case.

4. Why in the name of are you putting an alarm on an 02 Grand Am?

Actually, to be serious for a second... with regard to number 3... for marine use I would highly recommend a dry cell battery as they last much longer, will still offer enough power to start an engine even if several of the cells are damaged, they don't freeze, and they are resistant to vibration damage (which is the leading cause of battery failure on pleasure craft). ********... if you head to Canadian Tire you can pick-up a Nautilus dry cell battery for $200. That's a pretty big jump from the conventional marine battery which start at about $70; however, take it from someone who's had to pull start a 180hp inboard/outboard... the added reliability is well worth it when you're out on the water.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement