return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

AG settles with RIAA; deal confidential
View this Thread in Original format
Fir3start3r
Thought this warranted a new thread...
Source
quote:

Music industry settles lawsuit with file sharing service Audiogalaxy; terms of deal confidential
Tue Jun 18,12:01 AM ET

AUSTIN, Texas - File sharing service Audiogalaxy removed most of its music files for download Monday as part of an out-of-court settlement reached with the recording and music publishing industries.

The agreement calls for Audiogalaxy to pay the Recording Industry Association of America ( news - web sites) and the National Music Publishers Association a "substantial sum" based on its assets. RIAA and the NMPA did not disclose terms of the confidential agreement in a news release.

Calls placed to Audiogalaxy founder Michael Merhej on Monday were not immediately returned.

"The agreement is that they stop the unauthorized sharing of music," said RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy. "How they go about doing that is entirely up to them."

The deal ends a May 24 copyright infringement lawsuit filed against Audiogalaxy.

The Texas firm reported more than 1.5 billion monthly hits in November. It makes money by selling online advertising and subscriptions for access to premium services.

Audiogalaxy uses a peer-to-peer network that is considered more difficult to regulate than Napster ( news - web sites), which the music industry effectively shut down in the courts last year.

Now turn the damn tap back on!! :mad: :whip:
(But secretly I'm happy they came to a point where they could turn it back on! :D )
Fir3start3r
Doh! There's MORE!:eek: :eyes:
Source
quote:
Audiogalaxy agrees to filter songs
Tue Jun 18,12:18 AM ET
Gwendolyn Mariano

Audiogalaxy, a popular Internet file-swapping service, agreed Monday to filter copyrighted works as part of a legal settlement with the recording industry.

Under the settlement, Audiogalaxy is required to obtain permission or consent from a songwriter, music publisher and/or recording company to use and share copyrighted works. In addition, Audiogalaxy has agreed to pay the music publishers and recording industry an undetermined amount of money based on Audiogalaxy's assets and interest in resolving the case quickly, according to the RIAA ( news - web sites).

The RIAA, along with the National Music Publisher's Association and The Harry Fox Agency, sued Audiogalaxy last month over copyright infringement. The suit was filed in federal court in New York, charging that Audiogalaxy's efforts to filter access to copyrighted songs have been ineffective.

While the settlement clears the way for Audiogalaxy to leave its legal headaches behind, it raises other, equally pressing concerns over the company's future. Audiogalaxy has attracted millions of Web surfers by offering a broad menu of free music--a deal that almost certainly will not survive the settlement.

The tough road to legitimacy for file-swapping companies was illustrated last year by Napster ( news - web sites), which added filters aimed at blocking its users from trading unauthorized files, only to shut down voluntarily when they proved insufficient. The company has remained dark ever since. It filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this month, although it still awaits a chance to come back online, according to its primary backer, German media giant Bertelsmann.

The Audiogalaxy settlement comes as the RIAA continues to wage a legal battle against a string of other free-file swapping services, including StreamCast Networks and its Morpheus software, Kazaa BV, Grokster, MP3Board and Madster, formerly known as Aimster.

According to Download.com, a software aggregation site operated by News.com publisher CNET Networks, the software has been downloaded at least 30 million times.

"This is a victory for everyone who cares about protecting the value of music," Hilary Rosen, chairman and chief executive officer of the RIAA, said in a statement. "This should serve as a wake-up call to the other networks that facilitate unauthorized copying. The reasonability for implement systems that allow for the authorized use of copyrighted works rests squarely on the shoulders of the peer-to-peer networks."

Audiogalaxy's CEO Michael Merhej could not be immediately reached for comment.
locutox
This sucks, unbelieveable!

I'm switching to WinMX :confused:
mr_stamper
CRAP!!!

thats all i have to say. :( :(
KilldaDJ
quote:
Originally posted by mr_stamper
CRAP!!!

thats all i have to say. :( :(

i would of said 'honky'
it describes those RIAA bastards better
yujie__
RIAA=(gay*evil)^(conspiracy to overthro trance or p2p)
AnotherWay83
ag is just gonna go the way of napster now...:(
RTP
:whip:
I said already what I'm thinking now about these ing bastards from the RIAA ...

But it's strange ... some months ago I posted here something about AG cancelling songs and that the number of unavaliable songs gets higher and higher. And I asked you (rather myself) if it's going to end like napster ... and now we have the answer - it did end like napster.

:mad:
SmellsExcellent
We really need to work on SOMETHING and not worry about AG being shut down. there has to be some sort of unity here for the songs we want to be available.

-m
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement