return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Lost robot crosses city by asking for directions
View this Thread in Original format
ziptnf
This is really cool. A robot was programmed to analyze people's stances to determine which direction they were pointing, analyzed routes, and built an internal map based on where he traveled. Of course, he only got about 1.5km in 5 hours, but part of that was based on him encountering a busy intersection and wasting a bunch of time talking to people.

quote:
Although it interacted with 38 people over a period of nearly five hours – ACE did eventually reach its destination. In fact, the team report that the robot was making very good progress until it reached a busy pedestrian area where its own popularity became a problem.

ACE had interacted with just 12 people before that point, but 21 curious passersby stopped to talk to the robot as it crossed the busy pedestrian zone.

Cool stuff, this marks a good example of robots being released and used in the real world, unmonitored the whole time.

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/article...directions.html
Meat187
Didn't know this was such a big thing, lol. This was one of many project here at the university and I know some of the people involved. But yeah, it's pretty cool stuff. The chair where this was developed does lots of what I call 'toys for engineers' and I'll seriously have to consider doing my master thesis for them. :)
Lebezniatnikov
That's actually really cool. Foreign Policy just ran an article last month about a coming explosion in robotic technologies - apparently there's been a ton of innovation over the last few years, and the product of many patent filings are just now starting to be created and tested.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/...p?story_id=4843
Joss Weatherby
Neat stuff... just wait till they add a straw hat and hawaiin shirt and make it speak with an american accent. TOURIST BOT 1.0!
Neon Sky
:stongue:
Brian Scott
quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby
Neat stuff... just wait till they add a straw hat and hawaiin shirt and make it speak with an american accent. TOURIST BOT 1.0!

If they show up to the UK looking like that, they deserve all the ridicule they get!
THE_Chris
Balls to that crap :D

Tweenbots -> http://www.tweenbots.com/
ZeJayMan
awww . i love tweenbot.
Joss Weatherby
Man has no future now... we are going to be destroyed by tweenanators... :gsmile:
Capitalizt
quote:
Originally posted by Joss Weatherby
Man has no future now... we are going to be destroyed by tweenanators... :gsmile:

no, we're going to be destroyed by these..

Dj Nacht
quote:
Originally posted by Capitalizt
no, we're going to be destroyed by these..

Yeah, I could see this thing breaking my door down in 50 years and killing me. :(
Joss Weatherby
quote:
Originally posted by Dj Nacht
Yeah, I could see this thing breaking my door down in 50 years and killing me. :(

Or a swarm of these little guys...

CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement