return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Music Discussion

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 
Who Actually Produces Dance Music/Who Claims To Produce But Doesn't (pg. 10)
View this Thread in Original format
Mr.Mystery
What the does it matter anyway?

99% of rock bands use producers and it's a perfectly normal thing to do - an EDM artist does the same and it's considered a bad thing. Why is that?

And whenever you say "I've heard artist X only makes tea in the studio while artist Y does all the work" - learn to read the liner notes on the records. These "secret" producers are actually credited more or less every single time.

Hell, I wouldn't mind someone doing the technical work for me, that way I could concentrate purely on the creative process of writing a track.
nefardec
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
99% of rock bands use producers and it's a perfectly normal thing to do - an EDM artist does the same and it's considered a bad thing. Why is that?

it's a vestige of electronic music's experimental/diy origins. before events like love parade were sponsored by the largest fitness company in germany. before a someone could make 100,000 us dollars by playing other people's music for 2 hours, etc

the production of electronic music has a great deal of heritage in the production of jamaican dub music in the 60s and 70s. in the dub studios, the studio engineer because a sort of artist unto himself, with the mixing console and delay units as his primary instruments. for the first time in music history, there was no 'musician' involved in the production of music. these techniques and traditions were then ported around the world and used to make the first disco remixes, house music, techno, etc

electronic music production also owes its heritage to experimental laboratories such as bell labs, and the work of early analog synth pioneers. you can talk about experimental producers/musicians like tangerine dream, vangelis, wendy/walter carlos, giorgio moroder, kraftwerk etc.

from the beginning the artist in electronic music has been understood as connected to the studio.

times change, but one would think in this age of highly accessible digital technology and information that a DIY culture would thrive.

Unfortunately it seems that people instead are just lazier than ever, and that everyone thinks that they are entitled to be a famous, successful, or talented person.
montana
the rockgroup analogy falls to as in many cases the producers doesn't go in and play the parts themselves. however there have been numerous occasions where that has happened where they act a studio session musician out of necessity.

also i think it would be a bigger outrage if it would have come out that jimmy page didn't do the guitar solos he did and it was some producer instead. now that never happend since jimmy was the producer on the ledzep albums.
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by montana
the rockgroup analogy falls to as in many cases the producers doesn't go in and play the parts themselves. however there have been numerous occasions where that has happened where they act a studio session musician out of necessity.

also i think it would be a bigger outrage if it would have come out that jimmy page didn't do the guitar solos he did and it was some producer instead. now that never happend since jimmy was the producer on the ledzep albums.

Of course you cannot directly compare the two, but it's still amazing to me how big of an issue the whole producer thing is to people - especially the ones who seem to think it's some sort of a big secret.
Meat187
quote:
Hell, I wouldn't mind someone doing the technical work for me, that way I could concentrate purely on the creative process of cashing the money and ing the groupies.

Fixed.
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
Fixed.

Don't forget the drugs.
shonguiz
quote:
Why is that?

Because a prophane will then ask: What is this guy doing ? What can he be credited with ? A rock band doesn't produce but they have a vocalist who sings and musicians who play intruments live.
MrJiveBoJingles
quote:
Originally posted by nefardec
it's a vestige of electronic music's experimental/diy origins. before events like love parade were sponsored by the largest fitness company in germany. before a someone could make 100,000 us dollars by playing other people's music for 2 hours, etc

the production of electronic music has a great deal of heritage in the production of jamaican dub music in the 60s and 70s. in the dub studios, the studio engineer because a sort of artist unto himself, with the mixing console and delay units as his primary instruments. for the first time in music history, there was no 'musician' involved in the production of music. these techniques and traditions were then ported around the world and used to make the first disco remixes, house music, techno, etc

electronic music production also owes its heritage to experimental laboratories such as bell labs, and the work of early analog synth pioneers. you can talk about experimental producers/musicians like tangerine dream, vangelis, wendy/walter carlos, giorgio moroder, kraftwerk etc.

from the beginning the artist in electronic music has been understood as connected to the studio.

Exactly! This is one of my favorite things about the heritage of electronic music.
kitphillips
The obvious solution is to get musicians playing music live again. That way everyone can evaluate their skill when they're out on their own without a producer behind them;) Thats what saves rock, thats what WILL save electronic music IMO.
Ted Promo
quote:
Originally posted by nefardec
What is dance music about?

Oh man, I was about to ask the same thing :nervous:

Niklas Harding
quote:
Originally posted by PGGuy
Hello:
5. I have heard that Niklas Harding does not know how to produce, but hires others to produce for him.

not true. it can be answered that simple :)

quote:
Originally posted by KennethThomas
What I find DISGUSTING is the absolute reckless disregard with this type of insinuations. Its like TMZ of dance music. Just making a list and compiling every RUMOR you've heard about so and so... Yea, thats what dance music is about?

Yes, at this point in the world of super-star dj 100 hour work weeks, most of these guys have some sort of engineer behind the scenes to help expedite certain process' or keep the creative juices flowing, but please learn to differentiate "help" with this term "ghost writer".

I think all electronic music producers gets inspiration, help and idea's from other electronic music producers. Its been like this since the synthesizers birth.
slanz
quote:
Originally posted by Niklas Harding
not true. it can be answered that simple :)

I think all electronic music producers gets inspiration, help and idea's from other electronic music producers. Its been like this since the synthesizers birth.

Didn't Niklas Harding have Anders Mikkelsen produce for him? I noticed that when those two split up, Niklas's sound was completely different and not so professional.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 
Privacy Statement