return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
'De-evolution'
View this Thread in Original format
Domesticated
I saw a certain movie last night and it led me to wondering a very simple question:

If a certain group of human beings were to be isolated for an incredibly long period of time (1000 years or more) out in the desert or another remote location with no expendable resources, no access to education, no vehicles, no medicine, no modern forms of entertainment (musical instruments, board games, televisions, radios, books) and no electricity, would it be possible that this group might move backwards along the evolutionary scale, losing the ability to converse in a sophisticated manner and think in the self-aware way that separates man from animal?

I suppose the only constant would be a reliable food and water supply with no effort required to maintain them, and this also scenario assumes complete lack of entertainment or otherwise challenging activities.

Personally, I think it would be possible under the right conditions, however it would be near on impossible for those circumstances to arise of their own accord. It seems to me that man evolved as a result of a challenging world. Our intelligence is derived from facing the world around us, and if you were to remove those challenges and provide a constant food supply, our intelligence would no longer be required and would diminish over time.

Thoughts?
R.j.
quote:
Originally posted by Domesticated
I saw a certain movie last night and it led me to wondering a very simple question:

If a certain group of human beings were to be isolated for an incredibly long period of time (1000 years or more) out in the desert or another remote location with no expendable resources, no access to education, no vehicles, no medicine, no modern forms of entertainment (musical instruments, board games, televisions, radios, books) and no electricity, would it be possible that this group might move backwards along the evolutionary scale, losing the ability to converse in a sophisticated manner and think in the self-aware way that separates man from animal?

I suppose the only constant would be a reliable food and water supply with no effort required to maintain them, and this also scenario assumes complete lack of entertainment or otherwise challenging activities.

Personally, I think it would be possible under the right conditions, however it would be near on impossible for those circumstances to arise of their own accord. It seems to me that man evolved as a result of a challenging world. Our intelligence is derived from facing the world around us, and if you were to remove those challenges and provide a constant food supply, our intelligence would no longer be required and would diminish over time.

Thoughts?

I lived in absolute solitude for a about two months, doing nothing but reading books; after them two months, you see, I got out and, verbally, had trouble putting sentences together.

True story.
Teezdalien
but that would be re-evolution wouldn't it? just in another area. i think i'd go mental.
R.j.
quote:
Originally posted by Teezdalien
but that would be re-evolution wouldn't it? just in another area. i think i'd go mental.

dereëvolution!
Nrg2Nfinit
there is no such thing as de evolution.

Evolution is just population adapting to environment.

for instance. A trex having stupidly small hands is considered evolution since apparently that trait helped him succeeed in that environment.

A whale having a pelvic bone. Doesnt need it or use it at all but its there because its a remnant organ from its ancestors (not de-evolution but evolution)

you cannot thing of evolution as a negative or a positive its just an adaptation of a population to an environment over time.
Halcyon+On+On
Well that entirely depends upon the circumstances of the environment they live in, as evolution merely refers to the changes that can be observed within a species as it reproduces and either does or does not adapt to its setting - it does not refer to whether these changes are good or bad, beneficial or maladaptive.

If a species possesses quite unchallenged biological traits over a long enough period of time, perhaps those traits might be selected against given allele frequency, but I don't think there is really any science to indicate that, though I wouldn't know. But is there any reason to believe this group of humans would no longer communicate with one another or would lose their sentience(if that can even be considered an "evolutionary" trait)?
Nrg2Nfinit
quote:
Originally posted by Domesticated

Thoughts?

if it was us we may live but perhaps die out. We are so dependent on western medicine and creating an envoronment suitable for us instead of adapting that we wouldnt survive very long. If the environment change is gradual or you are picking a group that is close to tribal life then they probably would survive and flourish.

IF you want to talk about pure intelligence and neglect the survival aspect, i think we would definatley not lose our mental capability. (20 generations would not create significant mutations to alter what 5 million years or more has created). If you look at the intelligence difference between galileo and einstein i don't think there is a drastic difference or any difference at all(comprehension and perception of ideas). or what about the genius egyptians who created the pyramids with complex geometry as well as accounting systems and civilization structure. The greeks with their democracy and theology and astrology. ETC ETC ETC. man has not "evolved" since these times.
astroboy
I don't think we would lose mental capacity genetically because those genes responsible for higher order functions would not make you less likely to breed so they would remain in the gene pool. Society could go backwards and become less sophisticated.. but that has more to do with sociology/psychology than biology so evolution isn't the right word.
Nrg2Nfinit
quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon+On+On

If a species possesses quite unchallenged biological traits over a long enough period of time, perhaps those traits might be selected against given allele frequency, but I don't think there is really any science to indicate that, though I wouldn't know. But is there any reason to believe this group of humans would no longer communicate with one another or would lose their sentience(if that can even be considered an "evolutionary" trait)?

don't think it would happen. what kind of selection pressure would promote non communication.

lets look at a whale for example. Its ancestors were a fish (primitive) and it left the water to evolve land mobility. It then decided to go back into the water due to some sort of selection pressure. This could have been low food resources on land, predator avoidance etc.

You need a good reason to change (evolve) and it has to be a pressure that is lasting over tens of thousands of years.

Homo sapiens sapiens have been around for 250,000 years. our neanderthal cousins were around with us up to 25,000 years ago. OBviously they did not survive because we were smarter and more resourceful. I don't think a trait like that really has a disadvantage. There very well could be, but its difficult to hypothesize.
Nrg2Nfinit
quote:
Originally posted by astroboy
I don't think we would lose mental capacity genetically because those genes responsible for higher order functions would not make you less likely to breed so they would remain in the gene pool. Society could go backwards and become less sophisticated.. but that has more to do with sociology/psychology than biology so evolution isn't the right word.

plus it takes alot of weeding out to get rid of those genes. perhaps thousands of generations.

Capitalizt
Nrg2Nfinit
LOL thats the best

too bad im from africa :(
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement