return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
sick genetic engineering
View this Thread in Original format
Damo
finally a good idea...

lMIlk
wtf
TeKnoHe@d2025
Yeah I read about this in some science journal in my Chemistry class about a month ago. It's pretty cool if you ask me...it's crazy to think about some of the materials that will be available to us in the next few years!
Izzy
thats great news... chop up another victory for science.
the potential of the is outstanding, cant wait for this to be readly avialable. all i can say is that company is going to be rich, its possible clients are giong to be everything from NASA to the Military and everything in between
bodhichitta
*sigh*

Tampering with nature is a sure recipe for disaster. Mark my words.
enak
This is tampering around with nature :disbelief
bodhichitta
LOL!!!

Interesting Photoshop job there. Notice how the shadow behind her is how she's supposed to look like. ;)
quddha
ever since we discovered fire, we've been tampering with nature. Why put limits on research and exploration of science. If we didn't push the boundaries of science, we wouldn't have trance addict boards, trance music, or computers. :P Its only natural for us to push forward in technology and science. Imagine if we stopped at the middle ages. "Oh no, lets not cut up these cadavers, or let's not try to control electricity. We can't play god." Let there be no limits!
bodhichitta
Interesting point, quddha, I respect your opinion very much. I agree, let's work for the benefit of mankind - BUT let there be limits...

As it is now, scientists don't really understand genetics to its fullest. They just have a rudimentary working knowledge. No one really knows WHY it all works any more than physicists know WHAT gravity is exactly. As a result, messing around with it is like playing with a loaded gun and not knowing how it works - you could blow your head off at any point. Furthermore genetics works at the *lowest* and most fundamental level of life - if you mess up there, you've REALLY messed things up. ;)

To illustrate my point, I recommend you read Jurassic Park if you haven't done so already. Michael Crichton's original pre-movie novel, not some cheesy "movie adaptation" version. And pay *particular* attention to Ian Malcolm and what he has to say about science and the whole genetic engineering thing, particularly in the last third of the book when he gets into his huge rants (while on morphine :haha: ). Pure brilliance. :)

I myself am against tampering with nature simply on the basis that nature is beautiful and as "perfect" as it is (whatever "perfect" means) - life has been evolving for MILLIONS of years. We humans as a species have only been on the planet for a geological blink of an eye - a fraction of a fraction of any noticeable time. To even *think* that we are capable of doing anything "better" or "improving" upon anything is laughable and egotistical. We as a species really just have a tendency to attempt to control and subjugate everything.
thewarpbrothers
reminds me of spiderman

quddha
quote:
Originally posted by bodhichitta
As it is now, scientists don't really understand genetics to its fullest. They just have a rudimentary working knowledge. No one really knows WHY it all works any more than physicists know WHAT gravity is exactly. As a result, messing around with it is like playing with a loaded gun and not knowing how it works - you could blow your head off at any point. Furthermore genetics works at the *lowest* and most fundamental level of life - if you mess up there, you've REALLY messed things up. ;)

true, I agree with you there. It'd probably be a better idea to research genetics more thoroughly before we begin experimenting. But in this paticular case, I think the scientists have a good grasp of what they're doing. Genetically modified foods are not a new thing. They've been doing it for years. So far, no bad consequences. Some people choose not to eat them, but those who have don't seem to be affected yet.

quote:

I myself am against tampering with nature simply on the basis that nature is beautiful and as "perfect" as it is (whatever "perfect" means) - life has been evolving for MILLIONS of years. We humans as a species have only been on the planet for a geological blink of an eye - a fraction of a fraction of any noticeable time. To even *think* that we are capable of doing anything "better" or "improving" upon anything is laughable and egotistical. We as a species really just have a tendency to attempt to control and subjugate everything.

Yes, the rate at which technology is advancing is kinda scary. But since the beginning of agriculture we have, in a way, been playing with genes and genetics. We might not have understood the actual mechanism, but we've been breeding plants and animals in a controlled environment long before this has become an issue. Today, it becomes more complex with the infinite possibilities available to us, and you are right, we must be careful. Careful, but I don't think we should stop.

I look at it this way, nature being so "perfect", also gave us the ability to manipulate it. People say we aren't supposed to play God, or we're not supposed to tamper with nature, but it was God/Nature that gave us the ability to do so, so it's my belief that we should use this gift of knowledge and intelligence to our advantage, yet be extra cautious at the same time.
Sarcoman
Ive had my eye on that company for 8 or 9 months now. I first heard about Nexia Biotech last November watching an investors channel in Toronto. They trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol NXB.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement