return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
When to know when to stop pumping iron.
View this Thread in Original format
DJ RozzeR
Ive noticed a few bodybuilding theads going around which all have been interesting, anyways I have noticed when i have been doing my workouts i get very tired very fast even when lifting small wieghts , my diet is fine i eat lots of good foods and meats etc i also sleep 7 hours min every night. I have been building my arms mainly and chest bench pressing 70/80 k/g on bench press , now i usually do 9 Reps of 3 sets then i repeat this 3 times my arms are quite big now.

Ok. You are doing your 6th Rep and you need 9 and you can feel your muscles getting hard and tired , im sure you know the feeling , now i have been pushing it for the extra 3 to get 9 reps , now the question is am i lifting to much or is this normal. How far do you push yourself ?

I have been looking for some supplements but as you prob know these can be expensive and confusing. What would you suggest ?

Ill try and get a picture uploaded soon. take care RzR

--- to achieve heaven , you have to go through Hell ---

" fuk it wheres them steroids gone "
flystyler
You need a lot of protien enriched foods, u can get special protein drinks, that is a good way to build bulk.

But if it is beginning to hurt that is a sign it is working.

Just keep doing the same number of reps, at the same weight till it gets easy, then progress, dont get ahead of yrself :)
sifntj0r
quote:
now i usually do 9 Reps of 3 sets then i repeat this 3 times

It's hard to really evaluate whether this is adequete, ie. we can't gauge whether what you're doing is in fact too much stress on your body. Perhaps you need to do whats called progressive overload, which means you lower your current weight to lift a bit, and set a program to slowly increase the weight. So if you're lifting 70/80kg and having trouble, try 60kg for a week(or around 4-5 sessions), and then add 5kg onto that weight and so on, so forth. So say if you did 4 sessions a week, it would only take you 4-5 weeks and you'd comfortably be pushing that weight. On the other hand, you might have just a reached a certain weight threshold and you really can't lift say 80kg. I'd say the best thing however is to drop the lifting weight to 60kg (and if it's still hard) and even lower the number of sets you do. Buildup the weight, slowly allow your body to become accustomed to pushing weights again. This could be a result of a break in your workout routine (ie. maybe you missed all workouts the previous week because you just got tied down at work etc.).
Tak
OK, my mate is a proffesional Trainer so here's the lowdown.

You should adjust the weights to you, don't adjust yourself to the weights as thats how you overdo it. To work a certain muscle group (ie Arms & Pecks) you should concentrate on it by doing 3 sets of 12 Reps, and at the end of the 12 reps you should feel like you can't possibly do any more, if you can't make the 12 take some weight off. You should wait at least 2-3 mins between sets and it's best to do something, don't just sit.
You should do this muscle routine ONCE a day, and at the most 5 times a week, remember muscle has to be torn then left to rebuild to have any building effect. you can do as many different muscles in a day but they must be different.

*NOTE: this routine is meant for a balance between strength and stamina and is best for the average joe, to increase the strength ratio do less reps with bigger weights. For example Rugby players do reps of 3. But I strongly suggest you don't try this straight off as it will do more damage than good, basically the stronger you are the less reps you can do.
Blue.
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RozzeR

Ok. You are doing your 6th Rep and you need 9 and you can feel your muscles getting hard and tired , im sure you know the feeling , now i have been pushing it for the extra 3 to get 9 reps , now the question is am i lifting to much or is this normal. How far do you push yourself ?

Well I'm not an expert but from what I have learned from both my dad and my brother may be of some use. Well first of all make sure that the reason your muscles are hurting is because you're not pacing yourself, thats one of the most important things so look at that first. Make sure that between each of your sets you take a small break, some people may need a 30 second break and some may need a 2 minute break, whatever works for you. You'll get tired a lot quicker if you don't take at least small breaks in between to give your muscles a break. Also check that you pace yourself in regards to working out in general. What I do is lift weights every two days so that my muscles can heal and sometimes I'll skip an extra day if I'm too tired (once a month or so). You can do it this way or do what my brother does, work out a different body part every day. He would do arms one day, then legs the next followed by back the day after that and then he would take a break for a day or two and then get back into it. My bros huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge so I know that it works :D. Do the wieghts feel like too much for you? It's better to do what you feel comftorable with and then just work your way up. Try downsizing the weights just a bit and see if it helps.

quote:

I have been looking for some supplements but as you prob know these can be expensive and confusing. What would you suggest ?

I wouldn't know much in this category but what I can suggest is to join a message board. Magazines always say bull so don't listen to them. Instead join a message board or befriend a body builder (preferably one who isn't a juice-monkey) and get advice from him. This will get you info one stuff that actually works instead of stuff that they "say" works. Well I hope this is of some help to you :D. If you want a web site of the message board or my bros e-mail to speak to him directly then just ask bro :D
DJ RozzeR
The workload is fine i think , I was just curious on the 'push' limit factor', i know there is a point where you can't go on and belive me ive been there, i think 12 reps is a lot esp if your lifting a lot , i think im gonna need a weekly routine , but it is hard to keep commited as you all know. i never knew you pumped iron fly ?

--if your big enough to get the wieghts out , your big enough to put the wieghts back ! --
sifntj0r
Oh I almost forgot before, you should take care of your muscles! This includes and is not limited to warming up and warming down (stretching esp.). I like to stretch when I wakeup and goto bed, regardless of the fact I don't do weight sessions around those times. You should stretch all your muscles, not just the ones you plan on working out. The benefits will be greater flexibility and reduced fatigue on them before, during and after exercise.
Blue.
quote:
The workload is fine i think , I was just curious on the 'push' limit factor', i know there is a point where you can't go on and belive me ive been there, i think 12 reps is a lot esp if your lifting a lot , i think im gonna need a weekly routine , but it is hard to keep commited as you all know. i never knew you pumped iron fly ?

--if your big enough to get the wieghts out , your big enough to put the wieghts back ! --

I would reccomend you get a personal trainer. Wether it be temporarily or long term. I really can't say any reccomendations because I don't really know the proper info about it. Like I said though if you want someone to ask about this my bro has been doing this for about 4 years and keeps very up to date. I can ask him a simple question about protein and can get an hours conversation from him lol. He'd probably be more than happy to assist you :D
flystyler
quote:
i never knew you pumped iron fly ?

Im a swimmer, ofcoarse i do, and my mate is into that kinda thing, so i have picked up a lot of tips.

The best thing to do is look online at the body building sites that will give you specific routines, and tell you which muscles you should work for each session, and what your diet should be like, and whether you r over or under weight, the list is endless :)
King of Clubs
I think doing fewer reps (eg. 6 x 3) and adding more weight is better if you want to gain volume. At least it works for me.

And I wouldn´t do the same excersise 5 times a week as I believe someone said. You have to give your muscles rest, thats when they grow.

Good luck!

sifntj0r
Like Tak said....

Muscular Strength: Low Reps(5-8), Bigger Weights
Muscular Endurance: High Reps(10+), Lighter Weights
Orbax
hehe, dont just do bench and curls it makes you look ridiculous. and bench and curls wont go up if triceps and shoulders arent going up too :) you need all the parts
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement