return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
Whats wrong with Pro-Tools? Why does it suck?
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Robby Rox
I use to hear Pro-Tools thrown around a lot yearrrrss ago when I was younger. But it seems like noone uses it now and days and I'm more or less curious why.

Whats wrong with it? The more specific you can get the better because I've been telling people in recent years that Pro-Tools sucks, but only cause I notice not a lot of people seem to use it, not cause I actually used it and know whats wrong with it, which Id really like to know.

Thanks!
echosystm
The downsides of ProTools are blatantly obvious... I don't know why you need a thread for it.

• No VST/AU support.
  • Locked into using specific audio interfaces for no good reason, all of which are and overpriced.
  • At the upper end, DSP technology is antiquated. The only reason people still use DSP cards is because there are some nice plugins that are DSP-card-only. The technology is a joke now that we have quad core CPUs etc.

ProTools was only popular because it was the industry standard. There is no longer an industry standard, so people have shifted to better products. People can argue as much as they want about preference, but the technical merit of ProTools is inferior to Cubase 5 and Sonar.
atxbigballer1
Pro Tools does not suck as for audio editing!
Pro Tools was my 1st daw and now i think i am going back to it for mixing and audio editing!
What does suck about Pro Tools is midi and the fact that you cant use vsts!
But u can use Pro Tools plug ins called RTAS!
But for audio editing Pro Tools is the BEST!
echosystm
quote:
Originally posted by atxbigballer1
But for audio editing Pro Tools is the BEST!

What can it do that Cubase/Sonar/Logic can't?

That was a rhetorical question - the answer is nothing. Infact, with VariAudio, I'd say Cubase 5 actually rapes ProTools for audio ;)

Why would you buy a DAW that is only good for audio editing, when you can have a DAW that does everything well? Makes no sense.
atxbigballer1
quote:
Originally posted by echosystm
What can it do that Cubase/Sonar/Logic can't?

That was a rhetorical question - the answer is nothing. Infact, with VariAudio, I'd say Cubase 5 actually rapes ProTools for audio ;)

Why would you buy a DAW that is only good for audio editing, when you can have a DAW that does everything well? Makes no sense.

SHow me or tell me how i can do what this guy is doing in Pro Tools in any other daw!
I cant do it in Cubase, live , fl and reaper only protools!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA8B...feature=related
Pjotr G
From my understanding, ProTools becomes more interesting when you use a DAW to record, edit and mix an actual band (i.e. record, edit and mix audio tracks).

Most of us are into a different kind of production.
EgosXII
quote:
Originally posted by atxbigballer1
SHow me or tell me how i can do what this guy is doing in Pro Tools in any other daw!
I cant do it in Cubase, live , fl and reaper only protools!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA8B...feature=related

i'm sure HE could do it in any other daw though...

and if he couldn'd do it from the base DAW he could just get a plugin.. anything you can't do in protools you're lost..
studiobob
pro tools beat detect is far better than any other slicing plugin in any other DAW.

so for example you can record 12 tracks of drum kit (kick snare, hat etc etc

and beat detect will time stretch every track so its perfectly in time, and that every track matches excatly and it sounds really f**king good. better than drumagog and quicker as well. if you havent used it to record bands in then you wont realise the benefits.

thats just one example.

for dance production and midi. yep use cubase/logic or whatever, but for audio and "serious" audio apps Protools, was and still is the industry standard.
Beyer
Pro Tools is the industy standard, because studios who donīt have pro tools often get
passed by, by people who think pro tools is the only "pro" app out there. Sad, but true.
Studio people who use cubase/logicsonar usually hjave pro tools LE just so they have it on
their gear list. BTW, thereīs nothing wrong with pro tools, itīs the owners who are
the problem.
Storyteller
Well I see quite a lot of people stepping down from the idea that pro-tools is the only multi-track recording DAW for band recordings. The only reason why (I think) a lot of people hold on to protools is the investment the have made to start out with it. Protools with a decent interface costs a fortune.

However I see a lot of places where they are shifting away from protools, mostly to Logic because people still hold on to the idea that a Mac is superiour instead of different than a windows pc.

Beyer
Ohhhhhh no.. Weīre NOT going there. :whip:
cryophonik
My only experience with PT was a cheap MBox and PTLE7 that I had for a few months. Honestly, I can't say that I see why so many people consider it superior for tracking/mixing, but I suppose if I had used it every day, I might have a different view. It really seemed to be weak on the MIDI side compared to other DAWs, which is the primary reason I never really got into it and eventually sold it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement