return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

I get to take a music class this semester what should I take?
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Robby Rox
I had no idea I was doing this because I have 8 credits left to graduate (for pyschology) but I have to take an elective now to keep my grants and financial aid.

So now I have to sign up for a bull elective. I'm searching through the music classes my school offers and have NO IDEA what would be best for me.

I make trance lol, should I take a music theory class or does that usually have prerequiste classes that you have to take first?

I see an "Intro to Piano" too, has anyone ever took a class like that? I'm thinking it might be harder cause I've been playing the piano for 7 years with no education, so I'm thinking it'll be hard to break all my bad habits.
If anyone music majors could recommend something I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
MrJiveBoJingles
Pretty sure at least some schools will require that you play an instrument up to a certain standard before taking a theory course. You should figure out what the requirements are for different courses. That will really narrow down your options, if you haven't taken any music courses yet.
floyd741
Take piano but just stay with your technique. I did that and never had any problems. If you can, definitely take a Music Theory class. That would be like, top priority imo.
Energy_3
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Robby Rox
I had no idea I was doing this because I have 8 credits left to graduate (for pyschology) but I have to take an elective now to keep my grants and financial aid.

So now I have to sign up for a bull elective. I'm searching through the music classes my school offers and have NO IDEA what would be best for me.

I make trance lol, should I take a music theory class or does that usually have prerequiste classes that you have to take first?

I see an "Intro to Piano" too, has anyone ever took a class like that? I'm thinking it might be harder cause I've been playing the piano for 7 years with no education, so I'm thinking it'll be hard to break all my bad habits.
If anyone music majors could recommend something I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Congrats - i got my psychology degree last year, after several years of persistance lol. go with the piano if your not already miles ahead with it.

Psychology = professional nutcases (social definition):tongue3
DJ Robby Rox
quote:
Originally posted by Energy_3
Congrats - i got my psychology degree last year, after several years of persistance lol. go with the piano if your not already miles ahead with it.

Psychology = professional nutcases (social definition):tongue3

And I love that they do that cause its their weakness, they have no idea how incredibly smart we are. So in the end they loose.

And I sir am not a nutcase!! :nervous:
cryophonik
I'd suggest going with the piano lessons as well. Hopefully, you'll unlearn your bad habits (I did, for the most part). Also, if there are several different instructors, see if you can "pre-interview" them and get a feel for how much theory they incorporate into their lessons. I had an organ instructor (long before college) who focused pretty heavily on theory, so I was already ahead of the game during my first semester of music theory. So, if you can find a piano teacher who is like-minded, you'll be killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Sonic_c
I have never had piano lessons and couldn't play at all for a long time, that is until i learned theory then because I knew where/what the noites/chords were it was easier to learn to play.
RichieV
I would take a harmony class and if there is such a course a keyboard harmony class. It is the same as a harmony class but it is a little more hands on and practical.

If the piano course is on purely playing piano, i would forget it. You will learn things that might help you if you decide you want to play piano. Being able to play the piano at an average level takes about 10 years with 2 hours of practice a day so unless you have aspirations to do play piano, you would be better off taking another class.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement