return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
What is your "mastering" process?
View this Thread in Original format
cryophonik
The other thread got me wondering how we go about mastering or finalizing our songs.

- Do you do it yourself, or do you rely on others?

- If others, then professionals, or other hobbyists?

- If you do it yourself, then do you do it right in your DAW, or do you use something like Sound Forge, Wavelab, Ozone, Har-Bal, etc.?

For myself, I handle it myself unless it's being signed to a label. If it's signed, I just find out what the mastering engineer is looking for and export a raw mix. I like to review their masters because I had a terrible master made once (made the mix extremely muddy!) that would've gone out for distribution had I not requested that the label send it to me for review first! And, I'm not talking about a nitpicky thing here either - it was totally effed-up and the mastering engineer was even like "whoa - how did that happen?" in hindsight.

Anyway, for my own tracks that aren't signed, I have my own general process that I consider more "finalizing" or "pre-mastering". I get the mix to sound as much like a commercial reference track or two that I can in my DAW. I only use a limiter on my master buss set squarely at -0.2dB to catch any "overs" and not to affect track loudness. I try to mix so that my peaks are hitting about -2dB. I export the track (at 24/44.1), then sometimes I'll put it in Har-Bal to just see how the overall frequency curve looks and sometimes tweak it using reference curve(s) from the same reference track(s) I used to compare my mixes. If I make changes to the file, I export it as a new file with a "...._HARBAL.wav" added to the file name. Then, I bring it into Sound Forge, clip/fade the intro/outro to eliminate dead space and start with a plugin chain usually consisting of:

volume > multi-band EQ > multi-band compressor (optional) > limiter

I have a few preset chains and presets for each device within the chain that I've dialed in over the years for various genres/styles, so I usually start with those and tweak as necessary. But the tweaks are usually minor and mostly getting the volume/limiter balance where I want it and slight changes to the EQ, sometimes in concert with slight adjustments to the MB compressor. I reference it by A-B'ing it with commercial tracks through my monitors, headphones, and computer speakers until I'm happy with it (I'm too lazy to burn CDs and listen in my car anymore, and my car stereo sucks :p). That's about it. I export the song as another new file with a "...MASTER.wav" suffix and that file becomes the origin of any mp3s that I subsequently export.
mfitterer1
I do it all myself and master on one render. My chain looks like this. Compressor #1 (just to keep peaks down); multiband eq; compressor #2 (to glue the mix); stereo imaging plug in; limiter (however I leave my master pre limiter hitting around -1 to -.08. Thus the limiter is not cutting out dynamics but just bringing the less prominent elements more prominently into the mix); then it goes into the waves l3 multimaximizer (this thing is gold! One of my production buddies had been raving about it forever to me and I finally caved and bought the damn thing).

For those of you that don't know the L3 MM is a eq/compressor/limiter all built into one. So i'll set the threshold to -.05 so it's just barely cutting into audio and set it to render to -.01. Then I will adjust to taste the eq and individual band compression settings depending on what I feel the track needs. When i'm doing this i'm adding .01 to .02 at most. I almost always add .02 to both the top high end bands because I like that airy feel and it seems to capture reverbs better.

Then I render and listen to it on my hs80's, then my pa's. After that I will throw it on my iPod, and if it's all good there I take it onto my laptop. If it translates good on the laptop as well as the rest; it's good to go. Then I'll let it sit for a week and come back to it. By this time i'm usually a month deep in the project at a minimum so the composition has been finalized for some time. So when I go back and listen I'm only making engineering decisions. Usually there are very very small volume changes I will do on efx; slightly change reverb tails; change the length or type of delay, etc. All very minute stuff. Then when I come back the next few days and it sounds finished both days to me it's done. I'll take the day off as a reward for the finished product and then get back to it the next day fully enthralled like I just started producing again. It's a ing drug:)
Zild
This is my method. Send to Tim Xavier at Manmade in Berlin.
manmade
palm
i try to cut out everything below, 30-35Hz, mono everything below 80-100Hz, cut out everything over 15-18kHz, and then sometimes compress a littlebit and eq a little bit then limit a bit. sometimes realy rare i also add some stereowidth but not very often and not very much. nothing much, trying to keep some dynamics and steadynes in the mix. then i end up thinking it all sounds muddy or and i remove everything on the master, re-eq and re-compress each of the tracks in the mix, the re-mix all the levels, then do the whole masterchain all over again.
Eric J
I take the SHM approach and mix into my master chain from the very beginning. I have a fairly extensive chain right now consisting of
Sonalksis SV315 Compressor > UAD Pultec Pro > UAD Cambridge > UAD Neve 88RS > PSP VintageWarmer > Waves UltraMaximizer L1.

I have stated it previously in a thread, but each compressor is taking less than 1 db off. Most of them are there for color, especially the PSP VintageWarmer.

My label doesn't offer mastering, so I'm left to do it myself. :(
palm
quote:
Originally posted by Eric J
My label doesn't offer mastering, so I'm left to do it myself. :(

more control :D
mfitterer1
quote:
Originally posted by palm
i try to cut out everything below, 30-35Hz, mono everything below 80-100Hz, cut out everything over 15-18kHz, and then sometimes compress a littlebit and eq a little bit then limit a bit. sometimes realy rare i also add some stereowidth but not very often and not very much. nothing much, trying to keep some dynamics and steadynes in the mix. then i end up thinking it all sounds muddy or and i remove everything on the master, re-eq and re-compress each of the tracks in the mix, the re-mix all the levels, then do the whole masterchain all over again.
Why exactly do you cut that much off both ends and mono everything less than 100 hz?
palm
nothing below 30 is interesting and bass sounds werd in stereo. the top is to make the mp3 converting easier/avoiding noise. have no idea if it works, but i cant hear much higher than 16kHz myself so its not needed. btw to me this is most boring process of edm creation.
Kismet7
great article on RA about mastering

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1007
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement