return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Midi Interface Question
View this Thread in Original format
Zild
I have two synths and a midi controller right now. I would like to have them all hooked up and obviously I don't need to send data to the controller. Do I need to pick up a dedicated midi interface, or can I just chain them to the single midi output on my audio interface? If I get an interface considering I only have 3 devices can I get a 2x2 interface and use that in conjunction with the one that is already on my audio interface? The woman at the store told me I needed to buy the larger 4x4 interface, but I don't think she knew what she was talking about. Thanks.
Rusty O'Hara
quote:
Originally posted by Zild
I have two synths and a midi controller right now.

And the synths are?

quote:
I would like to have them all hooked up and obviously I don't need to send data to the controller.

Controller Out -> Computer In
Computer Out -> Synth 1 In
Synth 1 Thru -> Synth 2 In

quote:
Originally posted by Zild If I get an interface considering I only have 3 devices can I get a 2x2 interface and use that in conjunction with the one that is already on my audio interface?

Sounds very likely.
Rusty O'Hara
quote:
... can I get a 2x2 interface and use that in conjunction with the one that is already on my audio interface?

Probalby your best bet, maybe a M-Audio MidiSport 2x2:

Controller Out -> Computer In

MidiSport Out 1 -> Synth 1 In
Synth 1 Out -> MidiSport 1 In

MidiSport Out 2 -> Synth 2 In
Synth 2 Out -> MidiSport In 2

Gives you the flexibility of having full read/write of px, cc, sysex etc for each synth.

quote:
The woman at the store told me I needed to buy the larger 4x4 interface, but I don't think she knew what she was talking about. Thanks.

Oh she knew what she was talking about.

Probably noticed the glint in your eyes that said I'll be buying more synths in the future :D
palm
are u planning to take some midi dumps? if not then midi through is a good bet as described above. but if u plan to save your synth presets in your songs etc forget about it, ull need three ins and three outs or the synth presets will be all over the place on the diferent synths etc lol. i had virus, JP8080 and Nord Lead in serie with midi through, lol the that happened then. had to restart the whole OS in the synths each time i tried to do anything.
Zild
I'm using a Jomox Xbase 888, and a Waldorf Pulse plus. I would like to have full capability, so yes I want to use sysex commands.
Rusty O'Hara
quote:
I'm using a Jomox Xbase 888, and a Waldorf Pulse plus. I would like to have full capability, so yes I want to use sysex commands.

You don't need sysex. Just PB and CC's. (On the Pulse at least)

Grab a 2x2.
Zild
Thanks. I think I'm going to grab the MOTU fast lane.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement