return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Seperate sounding elements
View this Thread in Original format
blowa
i been producing for 2 years and feel I'm progressing well. Ive just finished another tune and im pleased with the outcome.
However, there are still some elements that seem a little detached form the tune. I think that part of this its because i have heard the tune so man times and i'm being over critical for my level, but i'm sure theres some tips what other producers use /do to get every element to bend together.

Sorry I can't post a clip as I dont have a website and haven't registered with a website to post my tune up.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (I use logic8)

:gsmile:
Nightshift
quote:
Originally posted by blowa
i been producing for 2 years and feel I'm progressing well. Ive just finished another tune and im pleased with the outcome.
However, there are still some elements that seem a little detached form the tune. I think that part of this its because i have heard the tune so man times and i'm being over critical for my level, but i'm sure theres some tips what other producers use /do to get every element to bend together.

Sorry I can't post a clip as I dont have a website and haven't registered with a website to post my tune up.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. (I use logic8)

:gsmile:

For what you're asking advice for we would need a clip to reference to.

You can upload files for free and no registry at [[ LINK REMOVED ]]
blowa
thanks for that i will upload it. :D
cryophonik
The sample will be helpful, a few things come to mind right away. The first is reverb - depending on the sound, try sending some of the signal to the same reverb as the other (esp. similar) elements in the song (assuming you've got a reverb on a bus as a send effect). This will help push it back in the mix as well as put it in the same "space" as the other instruments sharing that reverb. The second is compression - you've probably heard the term "glue" when referring to compressors? Compressing the element with similar elements can help "glue" them together so that one doesn't stick out as much. Finally, check the level. Sometimes it's hard to judge level, particularly if you rely heavily on visual cues (meters). Try zeroing out the track in question and, with your eyes closed, bring the level up until it fits in the mix, then drop it down a touch. Compare that to your previous level and listen to it for a while to see if it's sitting in mix. Another way to test it is to step into the next room and listen to your mix - that will usually give you a better context as to how well it sits in the mix with all the sound blended together. I do that for vocals all the time and it makes a big difference, particularly after mixing for a long period.
blowa
Some good advice. I listen to my productions in another room or put my screen saver on and listen and its a good tip. It always makes me evaluate the levels of different element. when you suggest gluing with compression do you mean things like parrell compression?

Ive uploaded my tune. Its about 90% complete so one or two small parts are a little bare. Anyway have a listen and thanks for taking the time to help. :D

the link is [[ LINK REMOVED ]]
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement