return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Is this sample public domain?
View this Thread in Original format
kadomony
My friend sent me a video he recorded on the Dubai Metro subway of a station announcement and now a friend and I are using it in a track.
Would we need to get this sample cleared or is it public domain?
Storyteller
Officially you need to clear everything you don't own the copyright of, unless it explicitly says you're allowed to use it freely. Put in practice in most cases nobody will ever know you did if you keep it on the low.
Mr.Mystery
Seeing it's your friend's recording it wouldn't hurt to ask for permission just to be safe.
Storyteller
I missed that detail I see :).
kadomony
OK cool thanks :)

The sample's essential to the track, and would hate to have to remove it due to any issues. The guy said he's gonna talk to the transportation authority when he gets a chance.
MrJiveBoJingles
It would be public domain in the U.S., but I don't know how Dubai's laws work with that stuff.
RichieV
quote:
Originally posted by kadomony
OK cool thanks :)

The sample's essential to the track, and would hate to have to remove it due to any issues. The guy said he's gonna talk to the transportation authority when he gets a chance.

i think you are taking it a little too far
nobody is going to know or care.
relax. Unless you have a time machine and manage to get a number 1 hit in 1980 , nobody is going to care about the sample.
Subtle
Just take it and use it, nobody will know or care.
Nightshift
quote:
Originally posted by Subtle
Just take it and use it, nobody will know or care.

+1 however if you plan to release then u should probably get permission to release.
Spacey Orange
did they get permission to crash the planes into the WTC?:rolleyes:

it's payback time bitch.

kitphillips
^^^That was a wierd comment.

Anyway, I think the copyright holder would be your friend. I seriously doubt that the dubai transport authority would either care, be able to do anything about it, or have any legal grounds to do anything about it.

In australia, you can photograph anything you want without asking permission. I would assume that something similar also applies to sound.
kadomony
OK thanks m8s.

We'll just work with the sample for now and if it gets picked up, work on clearing it, if necessary. I agree it probably won't be an issue, but rather be 100% safe on it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement