return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Wireless Router Help / Recommendation
View this Thread in Original format
Nell
Hey all, looking for a some help deciding on a new router for home.

So recently I just upgraded my broadband to 50Mbit from 10Mbit. My home setup consists of the follwing:

3 Desktops connected by ethernet
PS3 connected by ethernet
1 laptop connected wirelessly

Previously I had a Lynksys wireless-g router which served everything fine, but since i upgraded to 50mbit the ISP provided me witha new router. within an hour of having it installed, all the problems came to light.

1) Only supports wireless-n, doesnt support g at all -so laptop is redundant.
2) Only has megabit ethernet, which is a downgrade fromt the gigabit ethernet i was used to before.

this is a major setback for me. unfortuantely i can't use my old router as it cant handle the 50mbit internet from the modem so it looks like i need to get a new router to satisfy my needs. i know i could run both simultaneously -but i dont really want the additional cost on my electricity bill for running them 24/7 + faffing about turning them on and off etc.

so anyway, i need a solution or a recomendation for a new router.
my criteria is as follows...

Must be able to support a 50mbit internet connection (possibly more if i ever upgrade in a year or two)
Must have Gigabit ethernet.
Must have at least 4 ethernet ports.
Must support wireless-g and wireless-n (would prefer it if it can broadcast on both frequencies at the same time -my old router could do b and g at the same time)
Prefer to have an established/popular brand
Prefer it to cost as little as possible (obviously)

thanks for any help/advice.
woscar
Pretty sure you can just walk into any computer store and explain this to any of the tech guys and they'll sort it out for you. :p
sh33p
quote:
Originally posted by Nell
2) Only has megabit ethernet, which is a downgrade fromt the gigabit ethernet i was used to before.

how come? the linksys wireless g supports only 10/100mbit ethernet (not 1000mbit)
any new router suppose to do that as well.
It doesn't make any sense that a new router will support wireless n but the ethernet will support only 10mbit connection
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement