return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

Review: DJ Exacta @ Stereo - December 5, 2009
View this Thread in Original format
Patius
Sunday morning workout was the word of the day for me, and what could become a tradition (will explain more later why I used “could” instead of “is”) I arrived at around 6:00am to Stereo, and the place was kind of happening. Had no idea who the DJ was, and to tell you the truth I kind of don’t care anymore either. I did ask the security person about it, and I remember he saying something like Exactia or so, and I kept thinking it sounded more like a name of a yogurt we know.

Fresh and well rested, I was desperately in need of some good tunes to dance and sweat as I usually do when I go to a good party. People were dancing, but I thought the tunes were kind of repetitive and boring at the beginning, I was ready to write off the night when Mr. DJ started to drop some interesting Techno House tunes. Paying more attention and I liked what I heard, because he was evolving what it seemed to be an hour long sets with a nice build ups and a great ends. Good fusion of sounds, great potential for an incredible party, because Mr. DJ knew his stuff, and personally what I thought was missing were the people, more people were needed in order to add the Stereo vibe to the party. The place was not empty, but it was not busy, and it was disappointing because I was so looking forward the 7:00am pick time that usually Stereo have, you know when you look at your watch and then you look around and think there is no other place you wanted to be but here because of the amazing party?

I know Mr. DJ deserves more attention, but I guess Stereo has finally convinced me that I shouldn’t care who is spinning right? The problem is that is not the only thing Stereo has began to convince me about.

Everyone knows how much I love Stereo, and until no longer ago, I keep telling people the best parties I’m seen have been at the Temple. Unfortunately I have started to add the phrase “the old Stereo”. The new place is beautiful, futuristic, great sound, and I really want it to be my second home, but instead it is gradually becoming just a club.

Stereo, I truly believe the ideal behind the new concept for Saturday night is remarkable, risky, and with great intentions. Ideally everyone should be dancing and not caring about who is the one spinning. Sadly, this new concept I think has began to diminish the excitement I used to have when going to Stereo. Before, I knew who was going to be there, and I was ready for it, sometimes I didn’t like it because it happens, but most of the time there were enough people enjoying the same vibe, and each person contributed to create this amazing journey that until now I haven’t been able to find anywhere else.

Since the grand reopening, I probably have visited Stereo around 6 times, and have left before or around 9:00am except once (keep in mind I usually arrived at 6:00am at the new Stereo), and why is this? Because I find that no longer people are sticking around as much as they used to, and when people start leaving, they take some of the vibe with them, it is okay when we are hoping people start leaving because it is too busy, worrisome when you start looking around and the vibe is no longer there because the place is kind of empty. If you are wondering, at the old Stereo I used to arrive at the beginning of the night, and stayed most of the time until the end, which once meant at 7:00pm on a Sunday evening.

Stereo, we can always compromise, you can have your surprise element, but make it maybe once a month kind of thing instead of every Saturday night. If I’m paying CND 35.00 to get in, I truly want to be amazed by Mr. DJ Surprise, and so far this has not happened - it is important to mention I was not there for first weekend of parties. I have began thinking that if I don’t know who the DJ is, maybe I’m not willing to pay that amount of cash, maybe the price that will get me in should be lower, what about CND 25.00 instead?

Finally, I really want to be excited when going to Stereo, I love this place, and I just hope the management listen to the Stereoheads, because we are ready to teach the new crop of professional ravers what Stereo is all about, instead of just talking about how used to be.

If you were wondering, the DJ of the night was Exacta from New York City, really incredible DJ, and I would go see him again ..if I knew when. I also enjoyed the Samurai/Geisha performance during the evening. I just want to ask the security personal to chill out a bit, because some people are there to dance, not to be pushed away from the stage because you are too close to the performers.

Sorry about the rant, but I had to get this off my chest and I feel much better, so much that I’ll be going to Stereo on Friday night (December 11), and guess what? I know who the DJs are, but decided not to go on Saturday, not ready for another surprise.
WittyHandle
Ditto
BubbleBat
There you go, another real Stereohead who's not convince with the concept !

Who said here it was packed all the time ? I think it's instincman or something like that... Now we know it's not... now we know the Stereo magic is not back

To me the price doesn't influence me AT ALL ! I'm not willing to pay 35$ and not knowing who's playing... the matter of fact i'm not willing to go even if it was free if i don't know in advance who's playing ! lol

On the other side, i have no problem paying 50$ or more for a night i really want to go. A Tenaglia or Sanchez marathon. A Lawler Viva special set, etc...etc...
Monocle
Yea honestly this stereo thing sucks. No way in I'm driving 2 hours, spending money on a hotel or something, a ing 35 dollar cover only to see Angel the bed. I woulda been probably more than a few times by now if they announced their dj's, but still have yet to go... unfortunate really.... obviously everyone hates this, so just ing change it already
bmessier
In these difficult economic times, I want to spend every hard earned dollars wisely. As a client, I want choices. Not knowing who plays prevents me of achieving both. And since I really don't go as often as I used to, it's as important as ever to pick my night. As much as I like a club or a room, the music is what matters the most and i'll go out anyhwere I need to in order to hear a DJ I know who plays the kind of music I like. Again, impossible to do at Stereo
Romchik22
I'm afraid that all of these comments will die in vain :(... I have a very good feeling thatt it's not going to change anytime soon because the djs that they're booking for the 35$ and not telling you ... ARE OFTEN not wort 35$
simonbmtl
quote:
Originally posted by Romchik22
I'm afraid that all of these comments will die in vain :(... I have a very good feeling thatt it's not going to change anytime soon because the djs that they're booking for the 35$ and not telling you ... ARE OFTEN not wort 35$

They removed the discussion section from their facebook group, so it looks like something they don't even want to talk about with their clients.
84th Ave.
everything that all of you are saying is absolutely right, and I too am against the whole concept...

one simple solution...just boycott it. I will not go until I know who is spinning there. I saw Sanchez opening weekend, and havent gone back

when they start seeing Circus filling up, and stereo getting emptier, hopefully they will smarten up

i dont see how the concept is benefiting anyone, they are losing alot of people that are from out of town, if they have their 'gay' clientel that go regardless of who is spinning, why not announce the names and promote them. Example, if I knew a DJ like Exacta was there (tech house) I would have gone. Same goes for other names they have brought...

i think this concept is killing the 'hype' that was associated with Stereo
Ravemontreal
Well, I think that the fact that people are leaving earlier is not Stereo related.

I have noticed that the crowds starts thinning out earlier than before, and you have to work really hard, know them well, and pull some rabbits out of your ass, to keep them interesting until the very end.

If you play some random stuff, you will lose them by 6h30.

Not much people hang around until 10 am-11 am anymore. The new generation of afters clubbers are not as hardcore as we used to be. Maybe that’s a good thing. The vibe is still very good if you work them well.

Maybe you should plan your night keeping in mind that the party is not as long as it used to be, instead of having expectations that it will still be rocking at noon.
Romchik22
quote:
Originally posted by Ravemontreal
Well, I think that the fact that people are leaving earlier is not Stereo related.

I have noticed that the crowds starts thinning out earlier than before, and you have to work really hard, know them well, and pull some rabbits out of your ass, to keep them interesting until the very end.

If you play some random stuff, you will lose them by 6h30.

Not much people hang around until 10 am-11 am anymore. The new generation of afters clubbers are not as hardcore as we used to be. Maybe that’s a good thing. The vibe is still very good if you work them well.

Maybe you should plan your night keeping in mind that the party is not as long as it used to be, instead of having expectations that it will still be rocking at noon.

It's true and not true at the same time. The main reason a person will stay until noon is THE DJ/MUSIC. For instance, when Leon Bolier came to Circus, the place was beyond jammed back and it was until 8h30 am. He kept the crowed rocking till the end. As for stereo, it becomes much more of a social thing. All you want to do is "Go out and listen to some random music since you don't know who's playing". If clubs want to keep people till noon they have to bring good djs and the crowed that loves that dj will stay till the end.

Ravemontreal
If the club is jammed packed, it's really easy to keep people until the end.

You can lose 50% of the crowd and the place will still look busy, and people feel comfortable because it doesn't look empty.

The real challenge is when you have a 250-400 crowd, you lose half of it by 7 am, and you can start seeing big empty holes on the dancefloor, that's when real DJing takes place.

Giving an example with a big name and packed clubs is not the reality of every week.
Romchik22
Agreed. But Circus been doing some sic sic bookings so it's almost on a weekly basis :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement