return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Chicago, Detroit & N. Central USA

Mike Carlson (MC Audio) in Madison needs your help. PLEASE READ!!!
View this Thread in Original format
DJMaytag
I just got word that a fellow old school DJ, Mike Carlson, just suffered a tragic loss of his home which burned down, with everything in the house being lost... including an insane collection of vinyl from the past 30 years (probably in excess of 12,000 records). Thankfully his daughter was the only one home at the time of the fire, and she escaped without being harmed.

Many in Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago are probably know Mike from his MC Audio record/gear store he's had in Madison for the better part of 10 years, and you know that this is a awful thing to have happen to one of the nicest guys, one who's shaped the Wisconsin dance scene for a VERY long time (he was one of the founders of the midwest rave scene back in 1990 along with Nick Nice and Amos Smith).

Story: http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/82722157.html and http://www.wkowtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11884001

Paypal for donations, set up by fellow veteran Nick Nice: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...2692aa5ce177198

If you're within driving distance of Madison, there are going to be some benefit events to help him and his family out while they're displaced from their home. I'll post word when I hear of anything specific, outside of something happening soon at Jolly Bob's.
D-res
wtf is with fires lately?

Not familiar with this gentleman, but that's sad news, and A LOT of records to lose. I hope he did what I did and backed up his faves on his HDD, though that took me hours to do a couple dozen. :p

If I lived in Madison, or wasn't a broke college bitch, I'd love to help dude out :)
DJMaytag
i know he was in the process of encoding all his vinyl as far back as two year ago, but with that much wax, I don't know if he'd ever be able to get it all ripped to WAV and/or MP3 (I think he preferred WAV).

thankfully he didn't lose his laptop nor his Serato setup as he had it at the store, so he can still DJ with what he's got. not sure if his externals were at the house or not.

they're taking donations of non-perishable food and (most importantly) clothes right now, especially for their kids. if anyone has any extra clothes, they'd greatly appreciate it.
D-res
He wasn't by chance associated with that record store just west of the capital, near where University meets Gorham I believe. There is/was a small shop there at the base of an apt building I've frequented a few times while in town.
drEamer
quote:
Originally posted by D-res
He wasn't by chance associated with that record store just west of the capital, near where University meets Gorham I believe. There is/was a small shop there at the base of an apt building I've frequented a few times while in town.
that is the store
DJMaytag
quote:
Originally posted by D-res

That is probably it, if it was a record shop AND a DJ gear store. Trim Records was just a vinyl shop a couple blocks away, no DJ gear. I worked for Mike at MC Audio for 2.5 years before I moved to Georgia. He's a great guy and I learned so much from him. Sucks to see bad things like this happen to good people.
UWM
Yeah that was MC Audio, on the first floor of .. La Ciel? Or the Embassy, I forget which.

Class act, great guy, definitely helped shape the state of electronic music in Wisco. Terrible to hear stories like this.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement