return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Question for the c0r (weather related)
View this Thread in Original format
tubularbills
Do you know what your outdoor sirens go off for? do you know when they test them? do you even know if you have sirens in your local area?

i'm at a severe weather workshop right now in oklahoma city (norman) and one of the topics was sirens going off for things other than tornadoes; and i had never heard that before. so my questions are , in fact, do you know about your local communities sirens (if any are around?)

(please keep in mind that tornadoes occur in every single state, so you people in LA and NYC have to worry about this stuff too (granted, not as much, but whatev))
Sushipunk
Only police cars, ambulances and fire trucks have sirens here. Never for the weather :p
Schadenfreude
sirens are only used for jew warnings here.
bas
quote:
Originally posted by tubularbills
(please keep in mind that tornadoes occur in every single state, so you people in LA and NYC have to worry about this stuff too (granted, not as much, but whatev))

Sounds like hogwash to me.
Theresa
I honestly don't know if we have sirens or not. If we did and they went off, I would presume that they were some type of severe weather warning (after a period of simply being confused probably).

I know that my old city for sure had them (on Lancaster St. in Waterloo beside the fire station - for Moral and EvilTree).

It would be interesting to find out though.
EddieZilker
Tornado drills - they definitely test them, right about two days or so ago.

Of course I abuse it as an opportunity to freak the cats out, shouting "air-raid, duck and cover!" repeatedly.
jonSun
We have a siren in Oakbrook thats tested every Tuesday morning at 10am. If your driving with a 1/2 mile of it, you almost have to cover your ears it's so damn loud. I can hear it from my house. Actually Will, I think you can hear it all the way in your neck of the woods in Hanover Park.
Joss Weatherby
We only have the old air raid sirens and since they stopped testing those every week in like 1995 or so we have no sirens here.

If you go out to the coast there are the tsunami sirens.

We have had like 1 tornado in our city in the last 50 years and it was an F0 that went 6 blocks. It was pretty cool looking but other than that...
rT19
quote:
Originally posted by Schadenfreude
sirens are only used for jew warnings here.

... i need a new computer screen and a coffee
Lira
I don't know... we don't even know what kind of catastrophe we could have here where I live other than the usual drought. It's a pretty safe capital, I must say.

D-res
quote:
Do you know what your outdoor sirens go off for? do you know when they test them? do you even know if you have sirens in your local area?

i'm at a severe weather workshop right now in oklahoma city (norman) and one of the topics was sirens going off for things other than tornadoes; and i had never heard that before. so my questions are , in fact, do you know about your local communities sirens (if any are around?)

definitely only heard them for tornado warnings
butterfly
quote:

we have two sirens in my town. there is one that goes off pretty much every day, whenever the fire department has a call. they all have pagers but they still sound the horn when the truck is going out.

the other siren i have only heard once. it goes off when there is a chemical release from the oil refinery that is about 2 miles outside town. when that one went off, i left town for the day. the smell was awful.

as far as weather risks where i live, there is some potential for tsumanis but it is pretty minimal because we are pretty far inland on the bay.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement