return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Setting up traktor with a djm800
View this Thread in Original format
Inny
Hi folks

Currently i'm using 3 cdjs (one 1000mk3, two 200's) with a djm 800 but i'm looking to go digital with Traktor. I'm not looking to get Scratch, so my cdj's would not be used for this.
I've been looking around for info on how to hook stuff up, but i haven't been able to get a clear picture so i'm asking you for help.

First off, i'd like to use Traktor Pro so i get 4 decks.
I understand that i'm going to need a soundinterface, currently looking at the NI Audio 8 dj for that.

Could someone tell me if this stuff is correct?
DJM 800 Midi out --> NI Audio 8 Midi in.
NI Audio 8 USB <--> Laptop
NI Audio 8 ch1-4 Out --> DJM 800 ch1-4 in
DJM800 out --> Speakers

Now, since the DJM800 is said to be suboptimal as a controller, i was thinking of also getting a Xone:1D, if i find this to be true. How would this be integrated in the above setup?

DJM800 midi out --> Xone:1D Midi Thru
and Xone:1D Midi out --> NI Audio 8 Midi in

Will appreciate the help
DJ_Rafnel
What i would do personally is run 4 lines out of your interface from Traktor into the DJM800, and if your looking to use a controller id use something simple through your midi in.

Not sure what you would do with the CDJs though if you plan on using them.
Polt
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Rafnel
What i would do personally is run 4 lines out of your interface from Traktor into the DJM800, and if your looking to use a controller id use something simple through your midi in.

Not sure what you would do with the CDJs though if you plan on using them.

+1 to this. If you got an audio 8, just hook the outputs up to your DJM800. I don't know if sending the midi signal would really do anything for you. you're probably better off getting a dedicated midi controller like a Kontrol X1. My friend was using two 1Ds with a Xone:92 mixer but has since swapped out the 1Ds for two Kontrol X1s from Native Instruments, and says the experience is much better. You may want to try the controllers out at a store, if you can, before settling on it.
Inny
quote:
Originally posted by Polt
+1 to this. If you got an audio 8, just hook the outputs up to your DJM800. I don't know if sending the midi signal would really do anything for you. you're probably better off getting a dedicated midi controller like a Kontrol X1. My friend was using two 1Ds with a Xone:92 mixer but has since swapped out the 1Ds for two Kontrol X1s from Native Instruments, and says the experience is much better. You may want to try the controllers out at a store, if you can, before settling on it.

I was thinking that using the DJM800's midi out also would allow me to use it to control some traktor features.
I'll try to find a store where i can try this stuff out.
DJ_Rafnel
quote:
Originally posted by Inny
I was thinking that using the DJM800's midi out also would allow me to use it to control some traktor features.
I'll try to find a store where i can try this stuff out.

I have an 800, and i have Ableton Live running into channels 2 and 3 on the mixer...Ive the midi on it and its pretty sweet, just not a lot of realistic ways of programming it in without affecting something else on the mixer.
Inny
So, I went to a shop and talked a bit to the owner there. He made the suggestion that instead of going with an audio interface and controller, i'd sell my djm800 and buy a xone 4D instead. I made some calculations and this does appear to be the most inexpensive decision (if i get 1.100 EUR for my djm800, which shouldn't be a problem i reckon) and also the easiest.
If all goes well and i really like the digital work, i might even sell my cdj's for a brand new laptop :)
n3lly
It's definitely an option going for the 4D.

However, keep in mind that with the mixer being a certified traktor mixer you'll obviously save money on the sound card (as you wont have to purchase one obviously)

Problem is if you ever want to play out you'll have to lug your 4D around with you.

If you play at a club, you'll have to bring it with you again. Bringing a 1600$ piece of equipment with you everywhere you go isn't fun. Once you've finished your set it's difficult to relax and enjoy yourself as you're always conscious of your mixer sitting in the booth etc.

Just something you should keep in mind is that the portability of the unit really does hamper you.

I run a traktor system. But it all packs neatly away into my dj bag.

Bag contents:
2x control vinyl
1x small cd pouch with control cd's and backup cds
1x Headphones
2x External HDD
1x Audio 8 DJ
1x Laptop
1x Crane Laptop Stand
1x Midi Controller
1x Power adaptor for laptop
pocket full of rca extensions, XLR, TRS +adaptors and mic

Here is an image of the bag. (although my one is camo not black)
chewy dragee
IMO.
Do not set up the DJM800 as a controller.
Audio 8 for each channel on the DJM800 and get 2 x Kontrol X1s to control all 4 decks.

Kontrol X1 Rocks!
If you get the bags they will be exactly as high as the DJM800.

I have 2 and am super happy. They work staight out the box, and the default maps are brilliant.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement