return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

soundcard talk
View this Thread in Original format
JD8180
I've had some a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 for quite some time now, and though it treated me fairly well, it couldn't keep up with technology (worked great with XP, but it's quite buggy with Vista and 7).

I have Traktor Scratch Duo, which came with the Audio4, is there anything I could possibly do with that? The Traktor software itself doesn't let me record (I think it only allows it for Traktor Scratch Pro). Is there any way around this? I used Soundforge to record with my SB Audigy, and it recognizes the Audio4, but as two separate line-ins (I'm assuming it is one per each channel).

If there is no way around using the Audio4, what other soundcards are out there that would be the best bang for the buck? Basically I want something of quality, but only as simple as a pair of RCA ins, since that's all I'd really need it for, and something that works fine with Win7 64bit.
jdat
there are many options out there

Scratch Duo does not let you record indeed.

The easiest most straight forward option is to do a Rewire / Vac type software to receive the audio from Traktor directly in another software which will then let you record.

You haven't mentionned if you were intenally mixing or not as that may mean you do indeed need to feed the signal back into your computer?!

If you need to use external mixing don't be concerned about getting a card that has real RCA ins, a mini jack - Rca cable will do fine.

quote:
I used Soundforge to record with my SB Audigy, and it recognizes the Audio4, but as two separate line-ins (I'm assuming it is one per each channel).

and what's wrong with this?
JD8180
right now my entire set up is this (whether it is efficient or not, I do not know.. I'm not that educated when it comes to wiring for soundcards) :

cdj's are hooked up to audio4 which is then hooked up to my external mixer. my mixer's master out is hooked up to the rca in of my sb audigy.

I then use soundforge and select the audigy's rca line-ins device and hit record and go on with it.

quote:
I used Soundforge to record with my SB Audigy, and it recognizes the Audio4, but as two separate line-ins (I'm assuming it is one per each channel).

and what's wrong with this?

in soundforge, the audio 4 is listed as two separate devices. like I said, I'm assuming one is one cdj, and the other my second cdj. is there a way to combine both of them? like I said, I'm not that competent when it comes to the software side of recording.
jdat
quote:
Originally posted by JD8180

in soundforge, the audio 4 is listed as two separate devices. like I said, I'm assuming one is one cdj, and the other my second cdj. is there a way to combine both of them? like I said, I'm not that competent when it comes to the software side of recording.

this does not directly answer to your question but check herehttp://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202184

you are going to look into soundcard agregation with something like asio4all

read the thread it will give you ideas about the process.
JD8180
alright after trying the whole sound card aggregation thing with asio4all, I really couldn't get it to work. tried searching for information high and low and couldn't find too much. traktor would start bugging out and closing on me when I would mess with the settings, and I just don't feel too comfortable relying on something like that.

I noticed that the soundcard integrated with my motherboard has a line-in jack. you mentioned that using an rca-to-mini jack adapter wouldn't make me lose quality? or what about the fact that I'm using the motherboard's standard device, is the quality up to par when compared to purchasing a standalone actual sound card?

I mean I'm no producer or anything that I need 100% top of the line, pure quality sound for any sort of production or anything, but I don't want my recordings to be half-assed either.
Omega_Blue
quote:
Originally posted by JD8180
alright after trying the whole sound card aggregation thing with asio4all, I really couldn't get it to work. tried searching for information high and low and couldn't find too much. traktor would start bugging out and closing on me when I would mess with the settings, and I just don't feel too comfortable relying on something like that.

I noticed that the soundcard integrated with my motherboard has a line-in jack. you mentioned that using an rca-to-mini jack adapter wouldn't make me lose quality? or what about the fact that I'm using the motherboard's standard device, is the quality up to par when compared to purchasing a standalone actual sound card?

I mean I'm no producer or anything that I need 100% top of the line, pure quality sound for any sort of production or anything, but I don't want my recordings to be half-assed either.

if you're just recording a mix, the line-in on your mobo should be just fine. don't use the mic-in though (if you didn't already know that).
JD8180
different response over in the production forum, but I figured they would be more of the audiophile lol.

before I buy anything I'm going to just give it a test myself, just hate testing it because my computer is a huge pain to get behind and have to much a bunch of furniture around now :o
skip
Why don't you use your Sound Blaster to record? Why would you replace that with the sound card integrated to your mobo? The integrated one will be much inferior to the Sound Blaster even if the Sound Blaster wouldn't be terribly good (I dunno about this model).

Audio4DJ has 2 stereo ins, one for each deck's control signal when using Traktor Scratch (Duo). Recording those signals wouldn't do you any good.

If you do your mixing externally with a mixer (and not internally within Traktor) you cannot create a virtual sound card that will record what you hear coming from the mixer as the signal is modified outside the computer (mixed). What you could possibly do is record both outputs separately, but that wouldn't make any sense as you want a single file with mixed music, not two files with unmixed music.

You need to get the audio signal out from the mixer and in to the computer for recording it. Your Audio4DJ does not have any inputs left for this, so you will have to use some other sound card for recording.
JD8180
ended up going over to the production studio for some feedback over there...

I think you misunderstood the op, skip. my problem is that the sound blaster is having driver issues with vista/7 (it's a bit old). recordings are hit-or-miss, and nothing is more infuriating than recording for 2 hours to find out that all you got was little stutters the entire way.

some people mentioned the integrated card shouldn't be bad because of the fact that I'm just recording at 320 kpbs mp3s. I'm going to try this option first, before I dish out $100 on a newer (and not manufactured by creative) card.

thanks for explaining the whole audio4 thing though, as I was kind of confused with the whole routing of everything with it.
skip
Alright. Dunno how I missed that driver issue thing as it reads right there. Could be because I've been using OS X for so long that I no longer remember having such issues all that well. :p
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement