return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
RCA Cables - For Traktor setup
View this Thread in Original format
n3lly
So after reading a few posts on another forum, i'm contemplating ditching my multicore cables from my Traktor DVS setup.

I remember someone on here mentioning that the cables have a tendency to short etc, think it was Freak.

What i'm looking to do instead is use normal RCA's instead.

A few questions though.

Does anyone know of any good coloured RCA connectors. Where the whole cable is coloured. I'd like to be able to use certain colours for deck A and likewise for Deck B. Just so i don't have to trace the cables while in the booth.

Question two, It wont matter using a small (~1.5meter) RCA extension from the turntable to the Audio8 that I've got will it? Single wont degrade etc. I'm assuming that only happens over long distances.

I think that is all for now.

Cheers lads.
(I'm based in dublin so uk sites/european ones are more useful)
Max Thomson
yeah I didn't like mine either, ditched em for some HOSAs. No multi-colored cables I know of, I just used a label maker to put A or B on either end.
n3lly
Hey Max,

I'm not actually looking for other multi core cables. Just normal RCA's but was hoping i could find some nice colourful ones :)

I remember seeing a user that had multi-coloured cables in his dj booth set up pic. But there's no way i'm going to go through that thread looking for them.
Polt
Couldn't you theoretically buy some colored heat shrink tubing and put it on the outside of a normal rca cable?
Freak
Yes it was me that said it- they are .

Maybe not so much for someone who is just playing at home, but for touring or playing out with any regularity they massively overcomplicate things, are WAY too long, and the original longer multicores have a really crap join in them that causes problems.

I made my own-and have used them constantly with no problems...and ive made a couple of sets for a couple of big names too after they too had problems with theirs & liked my method.
They were basically microphone cable (thick, and good screening) with decent RCA plugs on the end.... you can get all the stuff you need at maplin for not much cash at all, and a little soldering yourself.

You will have no problem using normal off the shelf regular RCAs though- just buy them in different colors, use tape, or some PVC tape with the in/out etc scribbled on them, or put labels on the cable end, then clear heatshirnk over the top.
Better still, learn your box rca layout, plug them one at a time, then you dont need to label them at all - saves you trying to read small labels or see colors in the dark or when pissed.

If you have to have seperate colors for each cable, then buy some colored XLR cable, (you may have to buy pre prepared cables, in which case, desolder the XLR plugs and solder on the RCAs.)
Will be a good idea to label them too though.

PM me and i will send you the link to the RCA plugs that work well with the audio 8 (some types dont work too well with it and dont stay in solidly...)

FYI - i use the same mic cable + RCAs for turntables and remove (solder internally) the ground....much neater, longer and engineer-friendly, and more robust & better signal than the original ty technics RCAs.
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by Freak
Yes it was me that said it- they are .

Maybe not so much for someone who is just playing at home, but for touring or playing out with any regularity they massively overcomplicate things, are WAY too long, and the original longer multicores have a really crap join in them that causes problems.

I made my own-and have used them constantly with no problems...and ive made a couple of sets for a couple of big names too after they too had problems with theirs & liked my method.
They were basically microphone cable (thick, and good screening) with decent RCA plugs on the end.... you can get all the stuff you need at maplin for not much cash at all, and a little soldering yourself.

You will have no problem using normal off the shelf regular RCAs though- just buy them in different colors, use tape, or some PVC tape with the in/out etc scribbled on them.. better still plug them one at a time, then you dont need to label them at all.

FYI - i use the same mic cable + RCAs for turntables and remove (solder internally) the ground....much neater, longer and engineer-friendly, and more robust than the original ty technics RCAs.

Polt..

That is a good idea actually. I like that a lot. Would need to pick up a heat gun though as i haven't got one.

I do however have a soldering iron and learnt how to solder rca/XLR/Scart connectors so i might just make my own cables.

Did you remove the old RCA's from the turntables at your club and install the new ones? Or snip the ends off and extend the rca's coming out of the turntables?

Are we (uk/irl) able to ground the turntables internally due to having a third ground pin? Compared to our american neighbours?

Finally, i wont be able to change the RCA's at my club. So do i just get a set of extension RCA's? IE. like the multicore cables.

Cheers for the reply.
Freak
quote:
Originally posted by n3lly
Polt..

That is a good idea actually. I like that a lot. Would need to pick up a heat gun though as i haven't got one.

you can use a soldering iron to gently stroke the heatsrhink with the tip... no heat gun needed.

quote:

I do however have a soldering iron and learnt how to solder rca/XLR/Scart connectors so i might just make my own cables.

Did you remove the old RCA's from the turntables at your club and install the new ones? Or snip the ends off and extend the rca's coming out of the turntables?

Are we (uk/irl) able to ground the turntables internally due to having a third ground pin? Compared to our american neighbours?

Finally, i wont be able to change the RCA's at my club. So do i just get a set of extension RCA's? IE. like the multicore cables.

Cheers for the reply.

Making your own cables saves cash, plus you can be sure you have solid quality- certainly at the level i work at I have to have absolute faith in the cables, so i make my own.

You have to open up the TT and completely de-solder the RCA, solder new ones in, then have to solder the existing ground to 1 point, then link that point to another.
Its not hard at all- if your soldering skills are ok it should take less than about 30 mins a turntable. Doing this way not only inceases the length, signal and connection of the RCA, but it most importantly elimiates having to about with the ground, which when changing mixers, repatching stuff into stuff, makes things massively easier.... i would HIGHLY recommend you get your club to do it. If not, then colored tape will do. Extension cables not ideal as its another link in the chain to potentially go wrong.

Its not the mains/plug ground thats being removed - it doesnt affect that or electrical safety in any way....
Im overseas at the moment on tour, but i can post internal pictures of my TT when im back home later this week and PM you details.
In fact, I have another 1200 to do it to, so if i can ill do a step by step and post it up with pictures so you can see exactly what I mean.
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by Freak
you can use a soldering iron to gently stroke the heatsrhink with the tip... no heat gun needed.

Making your own cables saves cash, plus you can be sure you have solid quality- certainly at the level i work at I have to have absolute faith in the cables, so i make my own.

You have to open up the TT and completely de-solder the RCA, solder new ones in, then have to solder the existing ground to 1 point, then link that point to another.
Its not hard at all- if your soldering skills are ok it should take less than about 30 mins a turntable. Doing this way not only inceases the length, signal and connection of the RCA, but it most importantly elimiates having to about with the ground, which when changing mixers, repatching stuff into stuff, makes things massively easier.... i would HIGHLY recommend you get your club to do it. If not, then colored tape will do. Extension cables not ideal as its another link in the chain to potentially go wrong.

Its not the mains/plug ground thats being removed - it doesnt affect that or electrical safety in any way....
Im overseas at the moment on tour, but i can post internal pictures of my TT when im back home later this week and PM you details.
In fact, I have another 1200 to do it to, so if i can ill do a step by step and post it up with pictures so you can see exactly what I mean.

That would be cool. Thanks a mill. there's no rush though.

I didn't mean the mains plug ground was being removed i was just wondering whether we were able to ground it internally because we had a ground coming to the turntable via the earth pin that we have on our three prong plugs.

I'm confusing you now no doubt.

Anyway, i might have a stroll into the maplins shop tomorrow and buy myself a length of microphone cable with some rca connectors.

I'll have to go with the extension cables though as i'm looking to replace my multicores and every club wont have turntables with extended RCA cables on them.
When you made up cables for other people did you not have to do the same? I'm assuming you made up 4 sets of cables?

I suppose the only problem with not using the multicores is if you were using real vinyl and wanted to by pass traktor you'd have to plug the connectors directly into the mixer and then swap them back over.
Polt
It looks like you actually can buy colored RCA cables: http://www.amazon.com/GSI-GTP17-Cha...r/dp/B001OS8YDW
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by Polt
It looks like you actually can buy colored RCA cables: http://www.amazon.com/GSI-GTP17-Cha...r/dp/B001OS8YDW

Limited to the length of that cable then though.

What i'm thinking of doing now is getting Microphone cable. As Freak said it'll be nice and thick. Get some RCA connectors and solder them on myself.

Then instead of creating hassle for myself, i'll just buy heat shrink. Various colours and cover the ends of the cables. Giving me a perfect method of identifying each cable nice and quickly.

I was warming up for Jamie Jones (name dropping) there on Friday and we were both using Traktor (Vinyl timecode).. with 4 sets of multicores it all got a little confusing for a few seconds. Hence i'm on here.

I like where I'm at now though. You guys have been a great help. As always :)

DjWoody
Orange County Speakers sell all sorts of colored cables.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/me..._Code=all-patch

Their site doesn't show RCA to RCA but it shows other combinations. I'm sure if you email them, they'll get you colored RCA's.

:toothless
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by DjWoody
Orange County Speakers sell all sorts of colored cables.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/me..._Code=all-patch

Their site doesn't show RCA to RCA but it shows other combinations. I'm sure if you email them, they'll get you colored RCA's.

:toothless

Nice! If only they weren't in the states i'd probably give them my money.

That's exactly what i was looking for though.

I like the idea of making my own though now. A little project so to speak.
Thanks a mill though.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement