return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Memory Stick Encryption
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Mikey Mike
Does anyone know of any software that I can install that will encrypt a memory stick and assign a password to it?

I don't want anything that involves certificates, and I don't want any software that will extract the contents of the stick over onto the computer for the files to be accessed, which then requires for it be extracted back when you're done (ie, BeCrypt.)

If a cost is involved that's also fine.

Thanks.
get nyce
Credant is what we use
DJ Mikey Mike
Thanks mate, I'll take a look at that.
Rostros
TrueCrypt
dj_alfi
quote:
Originally posted by Rostros
TrueCrypt

WOuldn't that require that all machines he would use it on have truecrypt installed?

Try installing puppy linux on it, any files will be saved in the session-file, and if you've selected heavy encryption your stuff should be pretty safe in there. only "negative" about that solution is that you'd have to boot the linux to access the files.

it won't put anything on the computer tho
DJ Mikey Mike
TrueCrypt is looking fairly decent. It looks like it sets up a virtual volume to a size of your choice. If you set this a couple of MB short of the full capacity of the memory stick you can stick the TrueCrypt executable on it and use that to mount and dismount the encrypted volume as you please on any PC.

This is looking my favourite so far. I will check out your puppy linux solution too though.
dj_alfi
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Mikey Mike
TrueCrypt is looking fairly decent. It looks like it sets up a virtual volume to a size of your choice. If you set this a couple of MB short of the full capacity of the memory stick you can stick the TrueCrypt executable on it and use that to mount and dismount the encrypted volume as you please on any PC.

This is looking my favourite so far. I will check out your puppy linux solution too though.

I have TrueCrypt on this computer (dads old laptop), but it's not in use since he lost the password. That's one thing you have to remember, if you forget your password your files are lost forever, there are currently no known ways of retrieving it. So +1 on security if your good at remembering passwords :P

I just started using puppy linux and so far Im pretty happy about it. 30 sec boot time, and it's really small so it can even run from the RAM and no malware :) plus it's just pop my thumbsdrive into any computer and i've got everything just the way i like it :D
DJ Mikey Mike
Cool. It's nearly home time, but I'll pick this up again Monday and see if it suits my needs.

Thanks.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement