return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
bass guitar halp!
View this Thread in Original format
KilldaDJ
good evening c0r.

i have a dilemma with my bass guitar.

that's currently what i have installed on my bass guitar, typically most basses have these machine heads installed, the precision kind or whatever its called..

first of all, they are ridiculously large and over sized these things, looks like elephant ears and frankly, just goes out of tune as soon as you put the damn thing down.

so i wanna remove the elephant ears and replace them with these:

and simply have an allen key pinned to the headstock of the bass guitar.

does anything like said above exist?
aquila
1. Walk to music shop.
2. Ask same question to guitar expert.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!!
Watts
That sucks. If you're sure that is the cause of your bass going out of tune, I would pick up some Gotoh locking tuners:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/..._Tuner_Set.html

Make sure you buy the right diameter, or they won't fit.
igottaknow
quote:
Originally posted by KilldaDJ

and simply have an allen key pinned to the headstock of the bass guitar.

does anything like said above exist?

I doubt any general purpose bolt would have the proper thread count/pitch/length/diameter to work in a bass tuning device. Its more complicated than threading bolt into a nut, it has to stay in the same position while it turns.
Teezdalien
You probably could replace them with some sort of allen key screw if they are the same diameter and thread, but would be a pain the ass to tune with an allen key imo, especially if you use it in a live performance situation. If you end up looking for another bass, check out the Washburn 'Bantom' range for something different as they have no headstock and are tuned at the bridge.
KilldaDJ
quote:
Originally posted by Teezdalien
You probably could replace them with some sort of allen key screw if they are the same diameter and thread, but would be a pain the ass to tune with an allen key imo, especially if you use it in a live performance situation. If you end up looking for another bass, check out the Washburn 'Bantom' range for something different as they have no headstock and are tuned at the bridge.

thanks for the responses guise.

yeah i couldnt find anything relating to what i am after but from what i've read in yo responses, you certainly understand what i am after.

i dont think it'll be a huge pain in the ass to tune up in a live enviroment because we would or dare i say should of tuned up prior to performing..(we dont jump between drop tunings etc)

it looks like i might have to invent this said tuning mechanism and patent it :D

just need to find the correct threading and worm inserts.
pozz
quote:
thanks for the responses guise.

yeah i couldnt find anything relating to what i am after but from what i've read in yo responses, you certainly understand what i am after.

i dont think it'll be a huge pain in the ass to tune up in a live enviroment because we would or dare i say should of tuned up prior to performing..(we dont jump between drop tunings etc)

it looks like i might have to invent this said tuning mechanism and patent it :D

just need to find the correct threading and worm inserts.

especially if you are using new strings then they will lose tension pretty frequently. sometimes you might need to do a quick turn of the keys while playing. asking some guy in a guitar shop will probably net you better advice
Omega_Blue
dude, just leave the original tuners on there man. allen wrench/hex key/whatever screws will only cause more hassles, and who says they're any better at keeping the strings in tune?

tbh if your tuners aren't maintaining the strings' pitch, then i would probably just tighten them up a bit at the gear to give it less play. in that original pic, i think tightening that phillips head screw in the center of the gear would solve your problems (that's just an educated guess though).

you also realize that it will take a little bit of time to wear in your new bass guitar strings, right? they will go out of tune for probably the first couple of days to a week of you re-stringing your axe. the rope-like part of the string (that you loop through the tuners) will stretch a bit at first which will kill your tuning until you "break them in," so to speak. same thing happens to a greater extent with nylon strings on acoustic guitars.
KilldaDJ
quote:
Originally posted by Omega_Blue
dude, just leave the original tuners on there man. allen wrench/hex key/whatever screws will only cause more hassles, and who says they're any better at keeping the strings in tune?

tbh if your tuners aren't maintaining the strings' pitch, then i would probably just tighten them up a bit at the gear to give it less play. in that original pic, i think tightening that phillips head screw in the center of the gear would solve your problems (that's just an educated guess though).

you also realize that it will take a little bit of time to wear in your new bass guitar strings, right? they will go out of tune for probably the first couple of days to a week of you re-stringing your axe. the rope-like part of the string (that you loop through the tuners) will stretch a bit at first which will kill your tuning until you "break them in," so to speak. same thing happens to a greater extent with nylon strings on acoustic guitars.

ya i know about the breaking in the new strings but these strings have been on there since the beginning of time..its when i place the bass on my amp for example and someone nudges into it and it throws the tuning out (its out of clumsyness than anything else) so if i remove them ears...PROFIT?
Omega_Blue
quote:
ya i know about the breaking in the new strings but these strings have been on there since the beginning of time..its when i place the bass on my amp for example and someone nudges into it and it throws the tuning out (its out of clumsyness than anything else) so if i remove them ears...PROFIT?

Ohhhhh

dude, you could always invest in a bass with a locking neck. my aria pro ii jackson copy has one of those. it's got hex key screws with little plates on them that locks the strings in place- they won't lose their pitch for , unless you defecate on them with the whammy bar. hell, if the strings break from the headstock/tuners to the neck locking pieces, the strings will still remain attached and won't lose their tune. they look like this:

or you could buy some locking tuners, like the ones sperzel makes. something like this:

granted, these are for guitars, but i'm sure they make them for basses as well.

KilldaDJ
quote:
Ohhhhh

dude, you could always invest in a bass with a locking neck. my aria pro ii jackson copy has one of those. it's got hex key screws with little plates on them that locks the strings in place- they won't lose their pitch for , unless you defecate on them with the whammy bar. hell, if the strings break from the headstock/tuners to the neck locking pieces, the strings will still remain attached and won't lose their tune. they look like this:

or you could buy some locking tuners, like the ones sperzel makes. something like this:

yeh i've seen them around coupled with the floyd rose tremolo on guitars but to be honest i dont think they keep it much in tune anyway, it just cuts the strings up..

all it does is clamp them to the neck, theres no tension involved with that setup :(

the spirzel ones look interesting but expensive at the same time...im really after a simple allen head pin to drop into the machine, to replace the head if you like lol
Teezdalien
quote:
Ohhhhh

I've never come across a headstock with machine heads and a locking nut on a bass. Not to say they don't exist, but hey must be very, very rare though. The closest thing I've seen is the 'Bantam' bass I mentioned earlier which has no headstock at all.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement