return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
New evidence found that may show previous universes
View this Thread in Original format
Capitalizt
so cool I'm posting both articles :wtf:

quote:
http://io9.com/5694701/does-cosmic-...kyline=true&s=i

The current cosmological consensus is that the universe began 13.7 billion years ago with the Big Bang. But a legendary physicist says he's found the first evidence of an eternal, cyclic cosmos.

The Big Bang model holds that everything that now comprises the universe was once concentrated in a single point of near-infinite density. Before this singularity exploded and the universe began, there was absolutely nothing - indeed, it's not clear whether one can even use the term "before" in reference to a pre-Big-Bang cosmos, as time itself may not have existed yet. In the current model, the universe began with the Big Bang, underwent cosmic inflation for a fraction of a second, then settled into the much more gradual expansion that is still going on, and likely will end with the universe as an infinitely expanded, featureless cosmos.

Sir Roger Penrose, one of the most renowned physicists of the last fifty years, takes issue with this view. He points out that the universe was apparently born in a very low state of entropy, meaning a very high degree of order initially existed, and this is what made the complex matter we see all around us (and are composed of) possible in the first place. His objection is that the Big Bang model can't explain why such a low entropy state existed, and he believes he has a solution - that the universe is just one of many in a cyclical chain, with each Big Bang starting up a new universe in place of the one before.

How does this help? Well, Penrose posits the end of each universe will involve a return to low entropy. This is because black holes suck in all the matter, energy, and information they encounter, which works to remove entropy from our universe. (Where that entropy might go is another question entirely.) The universe's continued expansion into eventual nothingness causes the black holes themselves to evaporate, which ultimately leaves the universe in a highly ordered state once again, ready to contract into another singularity and set off the next Big Bang.

As alternative theories go, it's not without its merits, but there's no evidence to support it...until now. He says he's found evidence for his ideas in the cosmic microwave background, the microwave radiation that permeates the universe and was thought to have formed 300,000 years after the Big Bang, providing a record of the universe at that far distant time. Penrose and his colleague Vahe Gurzadyan have discovered clear concentric circles within the data, which suggests regions of the radiation have much smaller temperature ranges than elsewhere.

So what does that mean? Penrose believes these circles are windows into the previous universe, spherical ripples left behind by the gravitational effects of colliding black holes in the previous universe. He also says these circles don't work well at all in the current inflationary model, which holds all temperature variations in the CMB should be truly random.

quote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...l#ixzz16flsW6Qm

Scientists say they have discovered evidence that the universe existed before the Big Bang.

Concentric circles discovered in cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB) – the after-effects of the Big Bang – display evidence of events that took place before most scientists believe the universe came into being. The controversial finding points to the existence of a universe that did not begin 13.7billion years ago, as is generally accepted, but is instead a cycle of so-called aeons.

The discovery has been posted online on the website arXiv.org by respected scientist Professor Roger Penrose from Oxford University and Professor Vahe Gurzadyan from Yerevan State University, Armenia.

Most scientists believe the universe was created in the Big Bang around 13.7 billion years ago. Stars and galaxies started to form around 300 million years later. Our Sun was born around five billion years ago, while life first appeared on the Earth around 3.7 billion years ago.

The CMB dates back to 300,000 years after the Big Bang and has now cooled to around -270 degrees C.

But Penrose and Gurzadyan argue that evidence unearthed by Nasa’s Wilkinson Microwave Anisotophy Probe in the CMB shows imprints in the radiation that are older than the Big Bang.

They say they have discovered 12 examples of concentric circles, some of which have five rings, meaning the same object has had five massive events in its history. The rings appear around galaxy clusters in which the variation in the background radiation appears to be strangely low.

The research appears to cast aside the widely-held 'inflationary' theory of the origins of the universe, that it began with the Big Bang, and will continue to expand until a point in the future, when it will end.

They believe the circles are imprints of extremely violent gravitational radiation waves generated by supermassive black hole collisions in a previous aeon before the last big bang.
They say that this means that this means that the universe cycles through aeons dominated by big bangs and supermassive black hole collisions.

Professor Penrose believes that his new theory of ‘conformal cyclic cosmology' means that black holes will eventually consume all the matter in the universe.

According to his theory, when they have finished all that will be left in the universe will be energy, which will then trigger the next Big Bang - and the new aeon.

Professor Penrose told the BBC: 'In the scheme that I'm proposing, you have an exponential expansion but it's not in our aeon - I use the term to describe [the period] from our Big Bang until the remote future.

'I claim that this aeon is one of a succession of such things, where the remote future of the previous aeons somehow becomes the Big Bang of our aeon.'
nefardec
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1011.3706v1
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by nefardec
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1011.3706v1

lol, i think i'll stick with cap's link, thanks!
Meat187
quote:
[...]the universe is just one of many in a cyclical chain, with each Big Bang starting up a new universe in place of the one before. [...] This is because black holes suck in all the matter, energy, and information they encounter [...] which ultimately leaves the universe in a highly ordered state once again, ready to contract into another singularity and set off the next Big Bang.

I've been saying this very thing for years now. I bet there's even a post on TA somewhere. Not because I have a convincing reasoning or evidence (what this guy has is far from impressive btw, not much evidence and lots of interpretation) but just because I think it's a cool model. People should in read the crap I post more carefully. :o
Moongoose
so if i get the gist, the ultimate fate of this universe is that all matter will be sucked into one super massive black hole (that feels wrong to say, supper massive black holes are in the hearts of galaxies, one that would consist of all matter in the universe deserves another name) until the damn thing explodes (which is likely to be a spectacular sight) and a new universe will begin.
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by Meat187
People should in read the crap I post more carefully. :o

perhaps if we knew who you were? alts have no cred.
dj_alfi
quote:
I've been saying this very thing for years now. I bet there's even a post on TA somewhere. Not because I have a convincing reasoning or evidence (what this guy has is far from impressive btw, not much evidence and lots of interpretation) but just because I think it's a cool model. People should in read the crap I post more carefully. :o

oh wow, you must be some genius to have thought up that idea.
truly original!
Sushipunk
Ffs, he's not an alt. Get a grip, people.
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk

now im all confused :(
Meat187
quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
perhaps if we knew who you were? alts have no cred.

I am whatever you say I am. If I wasn't then why would I say I am?

quote:
Originally posted by dj_alfi
oh wow, you must be some genius to have thought up that idea.

Exactly!

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk

Goooooood, Sushi fell for it, too. *rubs hands*

Sushipunk
quote:
I am whatever you say I am. If I wasn't then why would I say I am?

LoveHate
i cant say without shame, i have no idea what this is about.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement