return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Does anybody here work in IT?
View this Thread in Original format
Adam420
Specifically, does anyone here work in a role that has them purchasing IT on behalf of their organization?
bas
I used to. Does that help?
Adam420
Did you use to purchase It for your organization? What were your expectations from your vendors?
shaw
I sorta do (depending on what you define as IT). What's the issue?
Adam420
No issue. I work for PC Mall and we're one of the largest value-added IT resellers in the U.S.

I'm two months into the job and am just trying to gain some insight into how to best present myself and my services to potential customers. I guess what I'm asking, although a long shot, is that if you're say an IT director at a company, and you sign off on all IT-related purchases and spearhead any IT-related initiatives for your company, what would get you really excited coming from a vendor that is looking to do business with you.
DJ Mikey Mike
Getting harassed by pricks like you all day is one of the most irritating parts of my job.
Adam420
So is that actually your job or are you just ing with me?

Because if that's actually your job, then I really don't want to harass you all day and every day, because it's a waste of time for both of us.
shaw
1. Ship immediately, with tracking info
2. Don't up addresses. Get shipping and billing right 100% of the time.
3. Price.

-Don't ask who your customer is. If they want to place an order, they shouldn't have to confirm a bunch of details with you.
-Keep them updated on products relevant to them. This is the one that almost all distributors up. They either give you no information, or flood your inbox and mailbox with crap in which you have absolutely no interest. Know your customers and what they buy, and only spam them with stuff that is A) replacing it B) newer and more advanced (key word: AND).
-Nobody cares about contests/giveaways/etc. Lower your prices or stfu. I kid you not, we received a catalog from one of our distributors that offered a free honey baked ham for any orders over $2000.
-If you're going to drop a product, LET CUSTOMERS WHO BUY IT (even rarely) KNOW! You'll avoid pissing them off, and will probably get a bunch of huge-quantity orders that empty your inventory.
-Check-in from time to time without any product info or sales attempts--a 'do you need anything from me' email is fine.
-On a related topic, emails are best. Phone calls get denied and mail gets thrown away.
shaw
If you are cold-calling people, though, I hate you. All of the above applies only if you already have an account.
Adam420
^^

Awesome dude, those are some really helpful tips and I really do appreciate you taking the time to type them out for me.

DJ Mikey Mike
quote:
Originally posted by shaw
If you are cold-calling people

I assumed this is what he meant. I get 3 or 4 of these a day. They all get told to ' off' immediately.
shaw
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Mikey Mike
I assumed this is what he meant. I get 3 or 4 of these a day. They all get told to ' off' immediately.

Other responses include "die," "No hablo ingles," "this is a pizzeria," "I hate you," or assorted grunts and non-responses.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement