return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Che shirts...
View this Thread in Original format
-FSP-
Ok, I haven't seen anyone with a Che shirt in some time. But I think it's funny that hipsters love this guy. I also think it's funny that a commie is selling a but load of shirts for middle-class white people who think they have solidarity with working class people by wearing his face on their chest.

what do you think about Che and the state of his image?

Yes this is a hipster bashing thread in disguise. lol counter-culture.
Sushipunk
Have you seen most of the designs on shirts these days? You really expect any of it to make sense, at all?

And Che shirts are so 1990s, anyway :o
Lira
I bloody love them!

The more shirts with communist icons in them, the more capitalism shows its power to exploit every-freaking-thing, even its enemies! My brother owns one in which Che is wearing headphones and it says "Disco Revolution". I should buy one myself!
Fledz
Most of those douchebags don't even know who Che is or what he did.
Paradox Lost
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by Fledz
Most of those douchebags don't even know who Che is or what he did.

And that makes it all the more awesome!
WittyHandle
When I saw Motorcycle Diaries in the theater, I had no idea who Che was or that the movie had any basis in reality until the info came up at the end right before the credits.

True story.
MrJiveBoJingles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_chic
quote:
Radical chic is a term coined by journalist Tom Wolfe in his 1970 essay "Radical Chic: That Party at Lenny's," to describe the pretentious and fashionable adoption of radical political causes by celebrities, socialites, and high society. The concept has been described as "an exercise in double-tracking one's public image: on the one hand, defining oneself through committed allegiance to a radical cause, but on the other, vitally, demonstrating this allegiance because it is the fashionable, au courant way to be seen in moneyed, name-conscious Society." Unlike dedicated activists, revolutionaries, or dissenters, those who engage in radical chic remain frivolous political agitators. They are ideologically invested in their cause of choice only so far as it advances their social standing.

The idolization of Guevara is nothing new, btw. Even in his own lifetime, he had sort of a hip image among young Americans. This has probably been able to survive longer than the similar phenomenon that occurred with Mao because Che died young, before he had amassed much political power and become a crusty old despot.

And anyway, I'm not sure they are using Che as a reference to specific Communist Party ideals so much as just shorthand for general non-conformism, a trait they likely view themselves as having.
stren
I think Che would've loved being on a tshirt

I blame Rage Against The Machine
boris_the_bear
did any of you see hipsters wearing t-shirts with USSR logos/lenins/stalins? :rolleyes:

even more fvcked up than Che

Lira
Yeah, yeah, I own two. And a Soviet cap from a friend in the Ukraine!

Oh, and a Chinese communist winter hat!
Sushipunk
quote:
Originally posted by Lira
the Ukraine

The best suburb of Russia!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement